How many miles left is the last fuel line?

jocampo

Hi,

Soon will be my 2nd time filling my bike myself, which is brand new and of course still in break in period (1st time was after dealer put half tank on it)

With one line remaining, plus reserve, the tripmeter just hit 106. It looks kind of low to me. Of course, I've been riding below 5 or 6k rpm.

How much miles should I expect from the bike at this point? It's 106 ok when having one line left?

Thanks for any comments.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ClickClick5

I went 22 miles on the highway once after it started blinking. I was sweating the whole time. When I filled up, I put in 3.7xx gallons.
I'll get about 187 miles and the bar will then start to blink.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

rjohnson5481

38-40 MPG:cool:

Osoreru

I usually end up with about 140 miles on the tripometer before I need to fill up. I try very hard to fill up as soon as the gas meter hits one line. I'm averaging about 47 mpg, 44 when I go out joy riding and rev the engine a little higher than normal (mine's in the break-in period too, not doing anything too crazy).

So yea, wait til 1 line left, don't go too much farther after that or it'll go into F-Trip and start blinking at you. I went I think 20 miles on an F-Trip the other day and was fine though. Still had over half a gallon left when I filled up. I made the mistake of listening to a friend of mine who told me there was a gas station on the way to where I was going. There wasn't.

Roaddawg

Your guys gas mileage sucks!! :confused: You can easily get over 150 miles on one tank, even riding twisties spirited. If your riding at 5-6k during your break-in right now....you should easily be able to squeeze 45-50 MPG. My commute was 51 miles one way. I would get three one-way trips and then fill up 3.2 gallons...consistently...and I was cruising at a good clip. So, you have plenty left at 100 miles. Once the "F-trip" starts flashing, you'll get a good 25 miles outta that....granted, your not pinning the throttle the entire time. Don't rely on the gauge as "fact" but as a guideline. I always reset my A-trip and figure gas on miles and THEN compare it to what my gauge might be reading.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Adroit

I was under the impression that the F-trip came on when there is ~.85 gallons left in the tank (should get me at least like 30 miles), so when your fuel gauge drops from 2 bars to 1, you'd probably have another ~60-70 miles left. I generally get anywhere between 40-50 mpg depending how I'm riding.. so assuming a full tank is ~4.2 gallons (tank is actually 4.57, but nobody really fills it up to the tip-top) I feel pretty confident I'll get at least 168 miles on a tank of gas. I'm sure if you had some reason, it'd be very reasonable to squeeze 200+ miles out of a tank.

jocampo

Ok,

Here are the final numbers or what it shows just when last line started blinking just today, F trip mode..

trip meter was at: 117.9
Fuel to fill the tank when F trip started blinking: 3.47 US gallons

It started blinking just when I was leaving work and filled in the gas station in front of work.

117.9 looks very low to me... especially when I barely reeving after 5k, driving around 4k and between 35 and 50 mph daily (I live 5 miles from work)

What do you think?

Adroit

jocampo, when you fill your tank.. do you stop putting gas in when the pump clicks off or do you keep adding till it looks to be nearing the top?

jocampo

jocampo, when you fill your tank.. do you stop putting gas in when the pump clicks off or do you keep adding till it looks to be nearing the top?
Hi Adroit

keep adding till it looks to be nearing the top? same I used to do with my old Ninja.

I guess I will have to wait and do same exercise again.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Osoreru

That seems low, but as leprecaun pointed out, if you're still in the break-in... I wouldn't quite judge it yet. It has factory break-in oil in it still? Parts are still fine tuning themselves (shearing)...

I'd wait until after the break-in before judging MPG, but keep an eye on it and see if it gets better gradually or if it gets worse. Could also be a bad tank of gas, just hard to say.
117 seems really low even for break-in. I just finished my 600 mile break in not long ago (I'm now at just over 900 miles on the odometer), and I averaged anywhere from 45-50 mpg per fillup and about 140-150 miles. Every time I filled up, except for the one time I let it go into f-trip, I would fill up no more than 3.1 gallons. Still true even after being at the 900 mile mark. I make sure to fill it up to the "max fill" level too. So yea, not sure why he'd be getting only 117.

slaythoven

That seems low, but as leprecaun pointed out, if you're still in the break-in... I wouldn't quite judge it yet. It has factory break-in oil in it still? Parts are still fine tuning themselves (shearing)...

I'd wait until after the break-in before judging MPG, but keep an eye on it and see if it gets better gradually or if it gets worse. Could also be a bad tank of gas, just hard to say.
Dart is right. When I was in my break-in period my MPG seemed really low (my first fill up was around 115 miles). Now that I'm out of the break in period, I'm going between 150 and 165 miles. Also, I've gone 10+ miles in the F-Trip once and others have even gone longer.

Bottom line is don't sweat it.

jocampo

A follow up

119.9 miles and the bar just started to blink. .. that is too low in my opinion ...

I will do a third check/test again, using same octane rate, same gas station. If numbers persists, I will make a comment once I bring the bike for 1st oil change, that's for sure.