How do you secure a bike?

aoz

I don't have a garage for a little while, and my bike is kind of conveniently sitting in the driveway behind my car. Someone could drive right up and take it. How do you guys secure your bikes from theft?

I had it in the backyard and it's fine to get it in there, but the path back up is sketchy, and when I was bringing it up I dropped it because of how ridiculous the path is and there was some minor damage but man did it piss me off! So I'd rather deal with an insurance claim than drop my bike every time I want to ride lol.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

creggur

You could start by parking it in front of your car to help hide it and obscure direct access. An alarmed disk lock may help as well - the Xenas are pretty loud - and may alert you to nefarious activity if you're home. Chaining it to something and putting a cover on it to keep prying eyes away may help as well.

In the end all you can do is make it as inconvenient as possible and hope a thief moves on to an easier target. If they really want it, though, short of garaging it somehow it will be vulnerable...

husker525

I just down my German Shepard by my bike while it is in the driveway, with the keys in the ignition. He will stay there until told to move, and if anyone comes close...........he neuters them...(I didn't teach him that, he just likes to bite in that general body part area).

Probably won't work too well for you, but maybe I should supplement my retirement by renting him out???

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Superfly

Chain it to something solid...OK protection
Chain a pit bull to it....better protection
Chain yourself to it with a gun.....best protection
Get theft insurance......easiest protection...ie no lock and keys, dogshit or ammo issues etc

:iconbeer:

MikeN02

While these are all great ideas, if a thief really wants your bike they'll take it. I would suggest parking the bike in front of your car so it'll be out of view a little and the car is blocking the bike.

I have an alarm system on mine, another thing is to get a cover for it that isn't labeled.

aoz

Should have noted that I back into my parking spot so it is tucked away behind the car a certain amount, it's also got a cover but it's the one right from Yamaha so it's got a BIG ASS label on the front advertising the model lol. I have storage insurance that would cover the value of my loan, but I sure don't want to lose it. I might chain it up just in case...

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member