Hot Weather Mesh: What's everyone wearing?

slaythoven

I was looking through the forum and it seems the last post about this was almost a year. Well, with new models and designs out now & the weather getting warmer (here in PA), I thought it should be discussed again. What is everyone wearing and what are some recommendations?

I was looking at the BILT Sport Mesh Jacket, the ICON TiMax 2 & the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 as possible candidates for.

Stricken

I highly recommend the Joe Rocket! I had one for 2 years until I sold it. Very durable and the inner liner works when the temps drop to 60s.

CrazyCawi

I got the pilot jacket in my signature, feels so comfy yet safe too!

Rockstar Jacket Abrasion resistant 600Denier poly fabric shell w waterproof and breathable barrier Zippered front intake and rear exhaust vents Pre-curved sleeves for comfort in the riding position Adjustable sleeve take-up straps on upper and lower arm secure elbow armor Soft microfiber lined mandarin collar and cuffs Adjustable hook-and-loop wrist closures Side waist straps are adjustable Zippered hand pockets and internal left chest pocket with general pouch pockets on inner lining and zip-out liner Zip-out sleeve length Thermolite warmth liner Removable CE approved armor in shoulders and elbows Removable back pad can be replaced with optional PILOT CE approved back protector 8 inch zipper attachment for PILOT pants includes both jacket and pant sides Official Licensed Rockstar Product Closeouts are limited to stock on hand

Features
Rockstar Mesh Jacket -
SALE-$79.99 Regularly-$299.95

Air mesh body with durable 600Denier poly fabric overlay in impact areas
Pre-curved sleeves for comfort in the riding position
Low beaded neoprene collar for comfort and maximum airflow
Adjustable three position snap-down straps on upper and lower arm secure elbow armor
Soft microfiber lined cuffs with adjustable wrist straps
Adjustable side waist straps
Zippered hand pockets and internal left chest pocket with general pouch pockets on inner lining and zip-out liner
Zip-out sleeve length waterproof and wind blocking liner
Removable CE approved armor in shoulders and elbows
Removable back pad can be replaced with optional PILOT CE approved back protector
8 inch zipper attachment for PILOT pants includes both jacket & pant sides
Official Licensed Rockstar Product

Last edited:

slaythoven

I highly recommend the Joe Rocket! I had one for 2 years until I sold it. Very durable and the inner liner works when the temps drop to 60s.
Awesome, that moves it up on my numbered list.
I got the pilot jacket in my signature, feels so comfy yet safe too!
That looks really cool but in a quick google search, it seems like nobody has it anymore.

iSpoolin

I'll never wear a mesh jacket. The fact that my mesh basketball shorts tear from a small fall on the court does not make me feel safe when im on the road at 55-80 MPH.

I wear the Icon Arc Speedfreak Jacket:

Most of its leather but the chest/back are mainly textile, but still feels super protective.

Features are:
CE Elbow/shoulder armor
Biofoam back protector (I upgraded to the Icon stryker back protector)
Leather impact areas
Shoulder vents

I rode with this jacket on in 89 degree weather yesterday for 40 miles in mid afternoon with the sun beating on my back and I was NEVER hot until I stopped for 2-3 minutes at stop lights.

Get a well vented leather jacket and you'll be fine.

but if you MUST have mesh, I reccomend the Icon Timax :)

slaythoven

i rock the Joe Rocket mesh jacket when the temps hit 85 here in florida...just got it this past week and i looooove it
Wow, 2 for the JR. Definitely will seriously consider it.

I'll never wear a mesh jacket. The fact that my mesh basketball shorts tear from a small fall on the court does not make me feel safe when im on the road at 55-80 MPH...

I rode with this jacket on in 89 degree weather yesterday for 40 miles in mid afternoon with the sun beating on my back and I was NEVER hot until I stopped for 2-3 minutes at stop lights.

Get a well vented leather jacket and you'll be fine.

but if you MUST have mesh, I reccomend the Icon Timax :)
And one for the TiMax. Currently I wear a Frank Thomas XTi 2 in black and today the temp here hit 80. When I got home, I took my t-shirt off and it was pretty damp. It's a GREAT jacket with venting but when the temp gets above 75, it can get hot really quick.

Chucker

I wear a Vega Merit mesh jacket in the warm to hot weather. The zip out liner is good when it's a little cool. Comes with a waterproof over jacket that tucks up in the back in case you get caught in the rain.

Attachments

Spunky99

I've got a pair of Speed and Strength Twist of Fate jackets I paid $49.99 each for last summer end for my son and I. The snap across the forearm at the elbow keeps the forearm pad in place and the rest of the jacket fits great. In a wreck I'm confident the pads will stay in place. Nice an breezy in 100+ temps and if you bring a wool Pendleton type of shirt with you it is fine for most summer evenings if it gets chilly. The liner is like all of them, hot and sweaty like a plastic baggie. Even the high end Alpinestars is the same.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

I want to buy a leather/textile jacket with lots of vents. It goes up to 100 degrees in NYC, I can't imagine having that fz6r engine in between your legs at a red light lmao!

Sage

Star Drifter Mesh Armored Jacket and Bilt Blaze Mesh pants with icon twenty-niner gloves. If I'm gunna go out on the highway or backroads ride a bit faster, ill wear my Z1R jacket and just zip off the vents

Last edited:

azmagnum

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix. Here in Phoenix when the temps hit 100+ I can ride in this jacket all day long. The pocket for glasses and the key ring loop inside of the panel are real convenient and the jacket can be adjusted at the waist, elbows and wrists. The liner is great for cooler weather but does not breathe real well because it is water proof. You would only really use it in the rain though. I just switch to leather in weather below 45.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Im not a huge fan of the Joe rocket Branding. I dont mind their products at all in fact they are some of the best, but i hate how they blast their name HUGE and cartoony on their products.

Differences Between Mesh and Textile Motorcycle Jackets

Motorcycle Rider with Jacket The motorcycle jacket is a standard piece of riding equipment. The traditional leather jacket has advanced in design to include mesh and textile versions. Some features of both jackets are standard, but there are enough differences to meet the personal preferences and tastes of riders.

Significance
According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles Motorcycle Handbook, jackets protect a rider without becoming overheated, even on summer days. The jacket is really an extension of the motorcycle itself, since it is designed to protect the rider.

Types
While the motorcycle jacket is an important part of riding, a certain type of jacket may be necessary to conform to the weather. Mesh jackets and the textile jackets provide different benefits in different riding conditions.

Mesh Jacket
The mesh jacket is exactly as the name implies. The mesh is designed for warm or hot weather and allows for greater air flow. A mesh jacket usually includes elbow, back and shield armor, while it provides a comfortable and breathable fit to keep the rider cool.

Textile Jacket
Textile motorcycle jackets provide great protection and can be worn in cooler weather. Unlike the mesh jacket, the textile jacket is waterproof, windproof and complete with armor and removable liner. Like the mesh jacket, its back, elbow and shoulder armor provide protection. This type of jacket can withstand a crash or weather more efficiently than a mesh jacket.

Considerations
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation recommends that a jacket fit closely to the body without feeling tight. A jacket should not flap while riding. An ill-fitting jacket may not provide the best protection

Read more: Differences Between Mesh and Textile Motorcycle Jackets | eHow.com Differences Between Mesh and Textile Motorcycle Jackets | eHow.com
You’re probably thinking, “c’mon, there is no debate – leather all the way! You’re not cool unless you wear a leather motorcycle jacket!” Who doesn’t want to look cool in a leather motorcycle jacket? In the interests of safety, leather does offer the best protection if ever in a slide. However, leather is heavy, not as breathable, and often is quite a bit more expensive than other alternatives. Both textile and mesh jackets are worth checking out, as they are much lighter, tend to be more breathable, and usually cost significantly less than leather. The only downside would be they do not offer the same protection as leather, in the unlikely event of a slide. I personally went with a textile jacket, mainly due to the price difference.

Body Armour
Remember – there’s no fenders, bumpers, or air bags anymore when riding a motorcycle. Consider protecting your body with body armour. Many motorcycle jackets offer built-in body armour, including elbow and shoulder pads. Some will even include a back protector, or least a sleeve to insert a back protector. This body armour may be sewn in as part of the jacket or removable through a pocket insert or velcro for future washing. I strongly recommend a jacket with removable body armour. My jacket included removable velcro elbow and shoulder pads. I plan on adding a back protector to the sleeve in the back soon.

Ventilation
Just like with your motorcycle helmet, it’s important to consider proper ventilation for your motorcycle jacket. Nothing worse than being stuck in the sweltering heat on a hot summer day. Though you will gain some breathability by going with a textile or mesh jacket, it will probably not be enough. Many jackets offer zippered venting throughout, including the sides, armpits, shoulders, and back. Unfortunately, the jacket I picked does not include any vents and I am regretting it now.

bigguybbr

The 100% best gear purchase I have ever made...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfxkciZIc0w]YouTube - REV'IT! Phoenix Jacket Video Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com[/ame]

Amazing fit and finish on the jacket. Protection is awesome (although I did upgrade the back protector). I ended up getting it for less than half price at a harley dealer (not sure why they had this jacket there). Search around and you might be able to find a deal (I paid less than $200), otherwise it's ~$400

DragonBlu

Dainese Zen perf leather jacket for me. Like the way it fits and feels. It suited me fine up to 90 degrees last summer with the liner out of course. :D

Hmm, hot weather gear. This is what I use:
White cotton wifebeater
Basketball Shorts
Flip Flops
And a baseball cap for head protection (turned backwards for aerodynamics)

Just Kidding!