Horn, brake light, and signals stopped working

Swordfish

Horn, brake light, and signals stopped working (UPDATED)

Hi all,
I was installing my integrated tail light and thought I had the wiring right, and when I turned the bike on I heard a sort of spark noise and now the horn, blinkers, and signals aren't working.
Does anyone know what I may have tripped and how I can go replacing it? I think I may have tripped a fuse but I don't know where the fuse box is.

Any help will be extremely helpful. My wife says that if I don't get it fixed soon she's going to sell it on craigslist. :eek:

It's a 2013 FZ6R

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

latony007

yeah has to be fuses, you blew one probably misconecting one of the wires. There is spare fuses in the box but i would go out and by some to make sure there is always the spares in the box.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Swordfish

YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!!!!!:wav::):D:D

So I found the fuse box and it was the Signal fuse. Used the spare and it's back up and running. Now I don't want to have to make a new thread...But I need some help. I can't figure out the wiring for my new integrated turn signal.
Here is what I'm working with:
Pics:
This is coming from the integrated tail light. It is a blue and yellow wire.

This picture is what was left after disconnecting the fender. There are two smaller wires that it seems that the blue and yellow should go in and then crimp. But when I do that the light goes bonkers. There is a black, and gray larger wire which when I touched the yellow or blue wire it made the signal work, but then I got a loud pop and the fuse blew. Anyone know what the heck to do?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Swordfish

Did the tail light come with any instructions?

Should have more than two wires if it's an integrated turn signal, should have brake, left/right signals, power (+) and GND.

Here's a pretty detailed writeup from the bike side on which wires are what:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/416661-post3.html
It came with no instructions (Taiwan :mad: ) and it came with a total of three wires. The first wire plugged into the light bulb plug. The other two are the yellow and blue that you see there that I believe do the blinking. But I don't know how the hell to wire it! I wish I would have got the motodynamic one but they are sold out!

I found this thread:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/how-tuner-x-ebay-intergrated-taillight-21346/

So I need to cut the gray and black wires and strip them and twist them together, and then where do I plug the yellow and blue plugs?

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Swordfish

I fixed it!!! I will include a write up when I get to work!

So after emailing the merchant (Who was no help at all and sent me a bunch of smiley faces) I emailed Motodynamic to see maybe they would help me. They responded promptly to my question and gave me a place to start.

So here we go:
You have four wires coming from your bike. The black and gray ones are the ones that you need to connect the blue and yellow wires that are coming from your integrated tail light. But the connectors that are coming from the integrated tail light do not fit. So now what?
Well after 6 blown fuses, and several emails, and a couple beers something dinged in my head.
I recently had bought Motodynamics flush mount turn signals. It came with resistors that you could use if you wanted to. So I emailed Motodynamic and asked what each wire was for. The black was for ground, the white was for day time running lights, and the red was for turn signal. So what I did was took a small screw driver and popped out the two wires that were not needed, and then stripped the red wire with the male connector, and then stripped the blue wire on my integrated tail light, and used butt connectors and wired them together. I then plugged it into the black female connector on my bike. I then did the same thing for the other yellow connector. I connected everything up, and up and running it works!!! It was blinking very fast so I installed my LED flasher relay and it is FANTASTIC!

Here are some sample pictures of what I used and how I did it. (My phone died so no pictures as of yet)

I hope this helps someone else!

Last edited: