Honda offering new CBR 600R

bigpish13

Nice bike, but 250 maybe too underpowered anyhow. Anyone know what helmet the guy has in the video? Shopping around for a second helmet with greater visibility. Looks like a fairly wide open full helmet.

Roaddawg

Honda's aren't boring...if you don't believe that - you should try the CBR1000RR first and then you'll see. However I guess some might be kinda dull to ride. The cbr250r maybe...sounds like a lawnmower in the vid...

I think the trend to 400cc or 250cc bikes is the manufacturers responding to the market and to insurance costs. The riders (mostly young and male) want to ride bikes but have 1) limited cash 2) trouble with insurance at the new rider level. At least thats how I see it in Ontario. I'm not sure that a 250 will be satisfying for most riders but I guess when you're new the little bikes seem powerful to you. Keeps you in the honda family as you trade up. But from the 125R to the 250R to what exactly? the CBR600RR? Thats a big step...

It would be nice if you could get the ECU on the 600RR to just give you 40HP till you get a year riding it. Then maybe up to 80HP in year two. Then 120HP year three...but thats not going to sell bikes I suppose :)
I see the CBR250R being bought as a in-city bike instead of a Vespa or other scooter. I can't believe they put ABS on that thing though.

creggur

I see the CBR250R being bought as a in-city bike instead of a Vespa or other scooter. I can't believe they put ABS on that thing though.
ABS and FI - things people have complained about the Ninja 250 not having. I personally don't see the need for it on such a small bike, but it probably won't be long before it's pretty much standard on all motorcycles... Might as well learn on what you're going to step up to, I suppose...

Now if it makes the CBR250 $6,000 it's probably not going to sell very well - overpricing is one of Honda's problems - and unnecessary features is a quick way to run the price up on a bike like this. I would vote Yes on the FI standard and making ABS an option...

spider2k

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

I just wanted to clarify that the title should be "CBR 600F" not R.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

The Spin Doctor

The CBR a clone of the Yam?

I think it might just possibly be the other way round :D

The CBR originally appeared in 1987! My brother had one, and it was a faster bike than the XJ6/FZ6R is 23 years on. I was astonished when they dropped the F from the lineup a couple of years back. and left either the sport-focussed RR or the dull CBF to fill the gap.

ry-mac75

Honda has been making a greater attempt to graduate riders since they started with the CBR125R... but they screwed up after that, as the only thing to go up to was a 600RR... so this 250 and CBF line is their way of rectifying the issue (also the CBF1000). I like the 250, it's not cold blooded like the Ninja - so if I were going with an entry level bike, I'd shoot for it long before the Ninja. I don't mind the CBF600 - apparently it has more jam than the FZ6R (78hp stock, or something like that vs our 68 or whatever).

CtrlAltDl

The CBR a clone of the Yam?

I think it might just possibly be the other way round :D

The CBR originally appeared in 1987! My brother had one, and it was a faster bike than the XJ6/FZ6R is 23 years on.
You are absolutely correct. I own one of each and my 'ol CBR runs laps around my FZ6R. :D

Roaddawg

ABS and FI - things people have complained about the Ninja 250 not having. I personally don't see the need for it on such a small bike, but it probably won't be long before it's pretty much standard on all motorcycles... Might as well learn on what you're going to step up to, I suppose...

Now if it makes the CBR250 $6,000 it's probably not going to sell very well - overpricing is one of Honda's problems - and unnecessary features is a quick way to run the price up on a bike like this. I would vote Yes on the FI standard and making ABS an option...
Yeah, what is it with Honda and their pricing?? Like that DN-01 selling for $16k MSRP, way too much for a scooter?!?! If it was around $6-7K, then maybe it would have sold, but for $16k, you could buy many other better bikes. You could get the FJR with the automatic for that price. I looked at Honda's when looking for my FZ6R, but the prices kept me out.

k6gad

I think it's great, a little competition will be good for the consumer, and maybe the aftermarket crowd will start making more parts for this class of bike.