Hit a curb, frame is bent!?

sunny23

2013 Yamaha FZ6r bought used with 100miles on it. I'm at 300 miles now. First bike.
So i just hit a curb on my left side at about 15-22mph at a 30-45degree angle while braking. It stopped my front wheel and sent the back wheel over the curb and the bike gently laid down in the grass with the front wheel still on the road side of the curb.
It knocked off the left turn signal but other than that, the rims, tires, and external body are completely perfect and untouched as am I. I take it to a shop and the front left fork is bent a little but they tell me that the tripple trees are twisted and its because the front end of the frame itself is twisted. Tell me the bike is totaled. They rode it several times, adjusted bolts, adjusted handle bars, put it on a stand, yet they NEVER took the fairings off or take out the forks like I thought they would. They reassured me several times over that they were 100% sure the frame is bent. Does yamaha make frames out of puddy or is it possible i really bent the frame on a small curb at low speed?

RooKie

Fist of all, glad you're okay man.

Bending the frame is common in accidents involving curves or other static objects. This goes for all bikes, not just Yamaha.

It is likely that the frame portion where the trees are joined was slightly bent during this accident since it was strong enough to bend your forks. Any change in the angle of the frame is enough to consider the bike totaled.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but hopefully your ins will come through and you can be back on the road in no-time! :thumbup:

sunny23

Thanks, I'm not sure what to do. My insurance deductible is $1,000 but a new frame is $789 and a new left fork is $130. I would rather my rates not go up, plus insurance replaces the bike with a "similar" one and I really like this ones colors and it's low mileage.
Mechanics told me to go to dealer and upgrade it and hope they don't test ride it before I leave with a newer bike :/

Thanks, I'm not sure what to do. My insurance deductible is $1,000 but a new frame is $789 and a new left fork is $130. I would rather my rates not go up, plus insurance replaces the bike with a "similar" one and I really like this ones colors and it's low mileage.
Mechanics told me to go to dealer and upgrade it and hope they don't test ride it before I leave with a newer bike :/
The design of the fz6r frame involves the engine as a part of the frame. Its not going to be easy to just "replace" the frame. And even if you did, theres a lot of rewiring, torquing, etc work that in involved and unless you are a pro mechanic, that 1k deductible is a lot less than what it would cost than it would to fix the bike. On top of that, the bike has severe damage and could cause later wrecks if you miss the smallest imperfection. Just my $.02.

defiant26

First off, glad your ok. I understand your frustration and what the mechanic is saying, but think about the new rider that would purchase that bike. I would hate to know that a brand new rider purchased a new, beginner friendly, motorcycle only to be badly hurt or worse due to my mishap. I really feel for you and your situation, but please don't jeopardize someone else's life over it. I hope everything works out for ya.

latony007

Glad your ok. I agree with above about not just trading it in and hope they dont notice, thats someones either safety or life savings or boyhood dream you could mess with. This sucks all around with less than 200 miles. My problem is that even if i got it fixed, and i agree the price for the frame i doubt includes replacing it, i would be so worried all the time something was going to go wrong. In my case thats one of the main reasons i bought a brand new bike, i did not want to be worried about anything going wrong with it. I can just picture weird little stuff cropping up later. Repair it and after 3k miles you notice the tires aren't wearing right, or some electrical problem keeps happening or some parts are vibrating too much. If you have full coverage i would not risk it, just my 2 cents.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
So, why don't you just fix it. Buy the new frame and forks, get the service manual, and tear into it. The hardest part is keeping track of everything. It's not terribly hard to do this, and with the service manual it should be a walk in the park. It's also fall; riding season is almost over for most people. Spend your winter weekends doing a little bit at a time. If you find that something isn't making sense, is being difficult, won't go in like it should; take a step back, and put it on hold. Take a break, ask some questions from people that know. The hardest part about doing a rebuild is getting frustrated about something, and screwing it up. Then having to do it twice.

buzzbomb

Elite Member
So, why don't you just fix it. Buy the new frame and forks, get the service manual, and tear into it. The hardest part is keeping track of everything. It's not terribly hard to do this, and with the service manual it should be a walk in the park. It's also fall; riding season is almost over for most people. Spend your winter weekends doing a little bit at a time. If you find that something isn't making sense, is being difficult, won't go in like it should; take a step back, and put it on hold. Take a break, ask some questions from people that know. The hardest part about doing a rebuild is getting frustrated about something, and screwing it up. Then having to do it twice.
I have now checked 3 different sites and all either say back order or part obsolete for the frame part for our bike. And even so, the frame is 1200+ $... And you have to basically take apart the entire bike since THE FRAME IS THE BIKE. You need to remove the engine, swing arm, steering, electricals, tank, and everything else.

And even afterwards, its not going to be the same and you seriously risk your life if you ride it again. I hate to be the pessimistic but I dont want you to either go down financially or get in a worse wreck. You need to be seriously mechanically inclined and have an entire shops worth of tools to do this. Im taking apart my dirt bike and its a single, carbed bike with the most electrical is the ignition and its being a pain.

Again, I am only saying this to prevent you from tearing your wallet apart or getting hurt worse if the repairs you do or someone else does is not safe. Talk to your insurance agent. They may give you a break.

Last edited:

xinu

...Maybe you may want to downgrade...
I think that's solid advice. Great that you made it through the incident unscathed and it appears that you still want to ride. I don't know about your previous riding experience but your forward plan should also consider if you on a FZ6R or similar bike are a good combination at this stage in the game.

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

that sounds cheap for a new frame. if new not avail. any more, you can get a used frame - there's one on ebay now for $600. and I bet if you call around to big cycle parts/salvage yards there are some.

it is possible to bend forks and not total a frame. depending on how bad, it is also possible to straighten frames, they literally bend them back into shape. I've seen and heard of a lot of track guys do this.

there might be other places, but main one is G.M.D. Computrack, believe they have some locations and even send guys out to shops if they have work... might be worth a call to see what they say/get estimate.

latony007

i hate to contradict the guys that say to tear it apart yourself or make it a winter project or whatever but unless you are a bike mechanic and since he said this was his first bike i dont think thats a very viable option. Again we are not talking about a $25k Ducati. the cost to buy the frame and all the parts necessary along with either shop labor or your own time are going to be more than this bike is worth and you wind up with a bike you dont trust in the end. I do think the Ninja 300 or 250 idea is a good one. Small cruiser is good to learn on too.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

sunny23

To answer most replies:
In mid 20's, not a reaction issue
South florida, winter doesnt exist
Rode 50cc scooter as teenager
Went to college on 250cc honda scooter
My coworker has broke bikes down to frame and back for his competition cruisers, he would be doing it with me
Frame is $789 shipped OEM 2013 Yamaha FZ6R (FZ6RDL) Frame | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House

"About 20mph, leaned over about 40 degrees, and hit a curb on the LEFT side while braking? What were you doing on that side of the road? There's more to the story than you're telling, I think."buzzbomb

I was going 60-65 down a small road behind a mall, came up to a tight curve where I made 3 rookie mistakes:
Didn't brake enough before the curve
Wasn't turning my head to look where I wanted to be advancing (looked down)
Didn't lean the bike nearly enough
Broke while in the turn and not before it.
Stiffened up and focused on slowing down and stopped leaning

The bike started squirreling from under me and I made it out the turn enough to wind up on the wrong side of the road and hit the curb at at 40deg angle around 15-18mph (looking back at it more closely) laying bike down in the grass, I was at a complete stop when the bike started to lay down. Hit curb hard enough to send back tire over it and into grass while front tire remained on road.

I wasn't making any of those rookie mistakes until this one time that day. I had been taking turns very slow prior to then and wasn't used to leaning the bike so much and the rest of the mistakes followed suit. I learned a lot from it. Had to ride the bike 40miles to get back home and more the next day to the shop. It's something I wont ever forget.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm no longer considering trading it. I will research further into costs and time to rebuild with my coworker vs insurance claim

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

latony007

glad you learned from your mistakes and the bike was the only thing hurt. Id still be scared as hell once its fixed, think stripping and putting together about every single piece on the bike would be torture and rather by another used bike but i can see where some people might consider it fun. I just hope your not making another rookie mistake by trying to fix it :) Good luck and let us know how it turns out.