Highway/Freeway

Wooster

I was nervious as hell after buying this bike knowing I had to ride it back to my place. Was only about 5 miles, but the only thing I've ever been on before I bought this was the crappy Honda 250's at the MSF class. I left the dealership and road around the airport parking lot that is right accross the street for about 20 minutes to get confortable on her. Was on the highway later that night doing 80.....LOL

jamesgarfield

Thanks everyone, I only have 96 miles on the bike (and basically to my name) I plan on waking up real early to test it out at freeway speeds, ive gotten up to around 60 on PCH (if you are familiar with the road you know) with traffic and felt pretty good.

arse

I commute by highway 5 days a week. Ive always enjoyed it. A few less things to worry about.

Synyster

Had my FZ6R for a about a week now. Taken it to work 8 miles through the backroads so 16 miles both ways and its very fun and I ride within my means. I've only gotten it up to about 50mph on some straight away so far but whenever I get up to that speed I feel like the wind is going to take me away, very unstable. I'm 6ft 200lbs. Maybe I just need to get used to it?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Had my FZ6R for a about a week now. Taken it to work 8 miles through the backroads so 16 miles both ways and its very fun and I ride within my means. I've only gotten it up to about 50mph on some straight away so far but whenever I get up to that speed I feel like the wind is going to take me away, very unstable. I'm 6ft 200lbs. Maybe I just need to get used to it?
As Dart said -- just a matter of getting used to it...
Our bike, as it happens, is *remarkably* stable. I had a storm chasing me home north of Atlanta this afternoon, with up to 50mph cross gusts (came out of a restaurant, felt the wind, saw the thunderheads, and found out about the gusting in my area with a weather app on my phone)... Really couldn't believe just how stable it actually was (not to mention self-correcting with a heavy crosswind, averaging 70mph getting home). Try that on a lesser bike...

Being 6 feet tall, you might be feeling a little extra buffeting on your helmet (depending on the aerodynamics of your helmet). I'm about 3" shorter than you, and I can feel it when I'm jamming (but usually not until >65 or 70mph). If it annoys you, you might want to look at some of the taller aftermarket windscreens that fit our bike. I have a Puig Touring windscreen on order -- it's much higher (not because I don't like the wind -- I actually welcome it in the warm weather -- but, rather in prep for the colder weather... which I *hate* -- but I hate neck gaiters even more).

chubs25

I just got my bike this past april and i am in the same boat as you, as far as needing it for commuting to and from work (45 miles round trip). And here in texas its all freeways and interstate. So it took me about a week before i got on one, but lucky for me i work third shift so there isn't much traffic to and from work. But i was scared the first time, but once i got on and let it rip, it was fun.

z21-i

Once you get used to the speed the interstate will be a piece of cake. I actually feel more safe on the interstate than some 4 or 6 lane roads around town. Get cut-off and not noticed more around town than the interstate.

txjames

Elite Member