hid damaging headlight

bobby bo bonsin

hey was gonna see if anyone else is having this problem. i have a 35w 6000k hid kit from krypton bulbs with the big metal reflector on the bulb that shoots most of the light towards the top of the headlight. ive only had the kit in for about a month or so and about a week or so ago i notice a couple foggy looking spots on the inside of the headlight plastic up towards the top two corners of the headlight and also a triangle " hot spot" on the headlight reflector just above the headlight bulb. basically my hid is burning the inside of my head light in certain concentrated spots on the reflector and the headlight plastic itself. i took some pictures but they are not uploading ill try to get them up later. was wondering if anyone else has this issue? the fogging on the plastic of the headlight is very faint but the hotspot on the reflector is obvious.

Tmak73

I have not had that problem. You usually see that more so in 55 watt kits but HID can definitely melt your housing.

RooKie

I thought I was the only one with that problem. Wasn't sure if it was the HIDs or condensation formed from riding in the cold mornings. Was thinking about taking the lamp apart and cleaning it, but haven't found time to do so. Please let me know if you figure out what's causing the fogging for you and if/how you manage to clean it.

bobby bo bonsin

Moisture could play a part as I ride mine early in the morning too (5am). The combination of heat and moisture could be the problem? I will say my light is sealed very we'll because I didn't cut the black grommet when installing hid I got everything to fit snug.

RooKie

Can't find anything online on what could cause this specifically with HIDs on motorcycles, but I came across this post and it seems like we must not have a proper seal. :eek: Looks like I'll be taking this apart next weekend to clean and inspect for gaps.

bobby bo bonsin

Yeah maybe so. Like I said on mine its very faint in a couple spots and I'm almost sure the headlight is sealed good.maybe too good like it said in that post. If it gets worse I will probably just take headlight apart and install projector kit.

RooKie

bobby bo bonsin

I might as well do the same, haha. Good luck!
You too man and thanks for the replies. Let me know what you end up doing.

Tmak73

I want to do a projector kit and a halo ring but I just don't feel comfortable trying to melt the housing open..

BoneJj

The cheap hid kits have bulbs that produce excess heat. That's why they burn out a lot faster than most other kits from reputable companies. You will need to probably change out your kit.

It could also just be a bad bulb that is burning hotter than it should and that is actually causing your problem.

bobby bo bonsin

Yeah you may be right. I thought krypton bulbs was known for having decent stuff even though the guy running it has turned into a flake? Either way I think I'm gonna do a Retro fit now one because they are awesome looking and two I'm gonna need to fix the inside of headlight anyway.

applejax

Yeah you may be right. I thought krypton bulbs was known for having decent stuff even though the guy running it has turned into a flake? Either way I think I'm gonna do a Retro fit now one because they are awesome looking and two I'm gonna need to fix the inside of headlight anyway.
Join me on doing the retro! I'm about to pull the trigger on a set!

RooKie

:eek: Krypton is no bueno!? :wtfgun: Wish I had known that before... oh well, now I just need $150 and a lot of patience to do the retrofit mod. :D

RooKie

bobby bo bonsin

I actually just ordered the kit(stage 3 sportbike) I chose 5000k with the gti-r shroud. I'm gonna paint the internals black including the reflector and possibly paint the shroud either orange or black. I want it to look like fzrblack's I really liked the way his looked blacked out with the blue shroud. I am a little nervous about taking headlight apart as I've never done so before but I think it will be OK as long as I'm patient with it. Let me know what you guys end up doing.

applejax

I'm probably going to order it tonight and paint everything raven black.

The more raven the more horsepower, right ??

bobby bo bonsin

That will look good. Your bike will be blackity black then! I think it looks good because it makes the light look smoked or tinted. Let us know how it turns out!

bobby bo bonsin

Just need to get my forks black then.
That's crazy that the black ones don't come with black forks. Mine is copper and black with silver accents like the rear spring and handlebars and it comes with black forks. You'd think they'd put silver forks on mine before the all black model. Its weird.