Help with picking out a helmet

Rich007

I am surprised the guy/girl did not ask what bike you ride. When I went in to Cyclegear that was the first question asked and then he steered me away from the rf-1100 because that helmet is made more for a tucked position on the bike. I thought he was crazy and then read up on the different styles and I am now sold on the GT-Air. Would have one tomorrow if I did not think my wife would beat me to death with it.
I read the reviews on the RF-1100 and that is another reason why I settled on that helmet. Had I known about the GT-Air I would have probably bought that one. I rode with a guy over the weekend that bought one after his RF-1100 was stolen and he said he didn't notice a huge difference between the 2.

RoadTrip

The RF-1100, GT-Air, and X-12 all fit differently; just get the one that fits best, luckily my local shop had all 3 in stock, in my size.

For me in a medium: RF-1100 was too loose, GT-Air was too tight, and X-12 was essentially perfect, and going up or down in sizes did not help the RF-1100 or GT-Air fit any better.

I really don't think the supposed race vs street vs touring designations of any of the above 3 helmets will make much difference to most street riders; the visor is in front of your eyes, and the vents are on top on all 3 helmets. For example, often times race helmets are actually more stable and quiet in the upright position in the clean air above the motorcycle windshield, so I wouldn't worry about their 'designated purpose', just get the one that fits best and feels right. All 3 come with good air foils and vents, and should be excellent choices.

Grumpy

If the Vector-2 and the FR-1100 fit you well, as they do for me. Try out the RPHA-10 helmets from HJC. Ya, I know what your thinking, but they are really nice and they fit me just as well as the V-2 and FR11 and.... You can save some cash. :D

I'm considering getting one this weekend and using my old beat to hell Vector-2 as a back up.

Cheers!

linkgt

The RF-1100, GT-Air, and X-12 all fit differently; just get the one that fits best, luckily my local shop had all 3 in stock, in my size.

For me in a medium: RF-1100 was too loose, GT-Air was too tight, and X-12 was essentially perfect, and going up or down in sizes did not help the RF-1100 or GT-Air fit any better.

I really don't think the supposed race vs street vs touring designations of any of the above 3 helmets will make much difference to most street riders; the visor is in front of your eyes, and the vents are on top on all 3 helmets. For example, often times race helmets are actually more stable and quiet in the upright position in the clean air above the motorcycle windshield, so I wouldn't worry about their 'designated purpose', just get the one that fits best and feels right. All 3 come with good air foils and vents, and should be excellent choices.
THIS.

I have the Shoei Qwest and even though it's made for the upright position, I still get a good amout of wind buffering to my head and it feels a lot better when I tuck in...So just get what fits best.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BoneJj

RF1100, Marthy.

Shoei RF-1100 Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

Bought mine for $410, they are $280 right now.
Just for info I would say that the RF1100 has better padding than the Bell helmets. If you want something that will be rather comfortable for a long time then I would say get the RF1100.

I would have gotten one but they didn't fit my head right, too much side to side.

The Bell RS-1 is more for an oval shaped crown of the head. The RF1100 will work more for a oval/round helmet.

VRIIClubby

Thanks. I've been watching about every single video from revzilla. VEry good helmet reviews there. I'm using the Bell Vortex right now and I'm really digging there transition shield. Not a deal breaker but I like i a lot. Still haven't made my mind (and my wife told me not to buy anything for the next month...) but if I had to buy right now the Bell RS-1 will be my pick. Few more feature than the Vortex and the one that I would need.

I need 2 things really. A helmet that vent very good with manageable noise level and fog. It rain a lot here in FL during summer time. My Bell Vortex vent well, noise was 7/10 and fogging was horrible to be honest. The RS-1 has the level to break open the visor for extra air...

Ah well, still looking.
Get the Shoei and then purchase a transitions pin lock for it...all sorted!