Helmet for a VERY long and narrow head shape?

D52

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a helmet for a person with a very long and narrow head? (Think alien… seriously. My forehead is huge. I overheard an Arai rep tell his colleague that I’m about as long of a fit as you can get.)

I currently own a Shoei RF1100, size L with different sized padding inside that I bought before I got my first bike (a little 250 that I learned on.) As I riding more frequently and for longer durations now, the helmet is OK for about an hour, and then becomes increasingly uncomfortable to outright painful against my forehead.

After some research, I went to the Cleveland Motorcycle show last month and tried, among others, the Shoei X12, and Arai’s Signet Q. The Signet seemed to actually fit worse, despite being the most recommended choice I found, but I later learned that I am dead center between Arai’s L and XL so I may have to alter the padding inside one of them and try again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I’m looking to try each of these again (and any other recommendations) at my local cycle gear where I can get a better feel of the fit, versus wearing one that’s chained to a wall with twenty other people hovering around me and also take advantage of their 7-day exchange once the weather warms up.

I appreciate any and all input.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Grumpy

Try an Arai Vector 2, this one fits me the best out of all the Arai helmets for a long narrow head though YMMV. You may want to try the RPHA as well from HJC, nice helmets.

D52

Here's a link for an Icon Airmada from Revzilla Icon Airmada Charmer Helmet - RevZilla
It's designed for long oval head shapes. I have a long oval head shape, but don't have an Icon. I actually have a Bilt Fusion. Not a bad helmet for me, but if I could afford it the Airmada Charmer would be mine. I think all the Icon helmets are designed for long oval head shapes. Maybe you can find a shop that carries them to try one out if you haven't already. I'm thinking of guilting the wife and kids into this for father's day. LOL!

Thanks for the info. I'll add the Airmada to my list. I know they're nicely priced, but I'm a little suspicious of Bilt after I talked to a Cycle Gear employee and said not a single person that works there wears one. Just tell the wife it's for your personal safety, something she should very much care about ;)

I had the same trouble. I tried the RF1100 and after about an hour or so my forehead started to hurt. Same with the Siqnet Q. Both highly recommended for long oval shapes but didn't work for me. I then tried the Bell Revolver EVO, Scorpion EXO-750, (a couple others i can't remember), and then finally found the only one I can wear for hours with no pressure points. The Icon Alliance. The crappy thing is it's on closeout everywhere now. If you're lucky enough to find a place that has your size in it I recommend that one. It has good, not great, peripheral views for lane checks, as well as good air flow. If you happen to find one in your size the closeout deals are gonna be around $100. The helmet used to retail for $160.

Best of luck.

I'll keep my eyes out. Thanks for the info.

Try an Arai Vector 2, this one fits me the best out of all the Arai helmets for a long narrow head though YMMV. You may want to try the RPHA as well from HJC, nice helmets.

I'll add the Vector 2 to my list... thanks! I tried some HJC at a motorcycle show; they all fit poorly.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

I'll eventually get another helmet, but I am not dissatisfied in any way with it. I have Bilt Iron workers kevlar jeans as well and they are great. I've actually been leading towards the Alliance line of Icon. Considerably cheaper, same basic fit. Graphics options aren't as good though.

The Charmer graphic is pretty sweet looking.

I bought a couple pair of those same jeans online and tried them out on the bike today... they're getting returned. They're not long enough and the knee pads move up and to the inside of my legs, and actually get in the way when my legs grip the tank. I'm learning that finding proper gear for a tall, skinny dude is about as fun as trying to find regular clothes for a tall, skinny dude.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

Took my list of helmet models to cycle gear today... what a joke of an experience that was. They only had one model in stock, the Arai Signet Q. I wasn't so much annoyed by this, but rather the associate who thought all Arai helmets were meant to fit long heads. He wondered why I didn't try on the other Arais and I was the one who ended up explaining to him that the other models were different sized heads and there was not a chance in hell they were going to fit me. He didn't know how to respond and was silent. I later asked a question about cheek pads and he responded with a rather wordy answer that basically amounted to "I don't know, but you can go home and google it." He then asked me if I wanted to buy the Signet, even though I said I wasn't buying anything today 10 minutes earlier. :facepalm:

I didn't expect him to know every fact about every helmet on the market, but a little basic knowledge on the brands they do stock would've been nice...

If nothing else, I realized that the Signet actually fits me a bit better than I originally thought. The front of the helmet is much closer to my face (the breath guard almost touches my nose) than my Shoei is and gives the impression that the helmet is too small, when actually the fit around the top of the head is somewhat better.

Looks like I'll be buying online now.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

If you end up going Icon let me know which one you get and how you like it. They all to my knowledge are designed for long oval heads. I haven't gone anywhere to try one on yet.
Sure, will do.