Help with picking out a helmet

jgelack

I've narrowed my choices down to a Arai RX-Q, Aria Vector 2, and the Shoei RF-1100. I've tried both the Vector 2 and the Shoei on and both fit me well. I haven't gotten a chance to try on the RX-Q yet, but I do like its features. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Arias. I'd also like to get a helmet that is a bit more visible, so I'm thinking the Hi Viz or the white. I'd appreciate any opinions you can give me.

Alex6

RX-Q and RF-1100 while both excellent helmets, do not fit the same: RX-Q is more of a round(ish) shape than RF-1000. I'd suggest to remove the chick-pads and try the helmet this way, you can always get the thinner/thicker chick-pads, but you will not be able to change much in the shell fit.

Alex6

I've narrowed my choices down to a Arai RX-Q, Aria Vector 2, and the Shoei RF-1100. I've tried both the Vector 2 and the Shoei on and both fit me well. I haven't gotten a chance to try on the RX-Q yet, but I do like its features. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Arias. I'd also like to get a helmet that is a bit more visible, so I'm thinking the Hi Viz or the white. I'd appreciate any opinions you can give me.
Based on the highlighted line I have a feeling you tried the helmets one size too big. They (RX-Q and RF-11000) are differently shaped and unless your head has adjustable shape, they can not fit the same.
My very 1st helmet was RF-1000 size Large. Only later with more experience I released it was too narrow for my melon and the only reason it felt good is because my head is size M. I have RX-Q now and every time I put it on I think I can't believe the helmet can fit that well. It is size M. The Shoei and Arai measurement chart is the same. Just need to match the shape of your head to the shape of the inner shell of the helmet. Good luck.

Last edited:

Pointman1776

Elite Member

Pointman1776

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

i LOVE MY RXQ

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

jgelack

Thank you for your advice. Looks like I have to find another Arai dealer, so I can try a few more helmets on. My local dealer carries Arai, but has a VERY limited stock. Lots of Shoei though. Thanks again.

Rich007

I went to Cycle Gear and tried on a butt load of different helmets but the one that I put on that fit the best was the Shoei RX-1100. Everyone I tried I found something I didn't like as far as fit or the way the shield worked. The Shoei was perfect. Now that I have had it for a month I have no buyers remorse at all, i did get a little wind noise from the right side near the visor but it was nothing a little adjustment didn't take care of.

I am hoping to add a bluetooth soon just not sure what system, it's either the UClear 200 or the Sena SMH10R.

Good luck with your search.

jearnshaw

I am surprised the guy/girl did not ask what bike you ride. When I went in to Cyclegear that was the first question asked and then he steered me away from the rf-1100 because that helmet is made more for a tucked position on the bike. I thought he was crazy and then read up on the different styles and I am now sold on the GT-Air. Would have one tomorrow if I did not think my wife would beat me to death with it.

Alex6

I am surprised the guy/girl did not ask what bike you ride. When I went in to Cyclegear that was the first question asked and then he steered me away from the rf-1100 because that helmet is made more for a tucked position on the bike. I thought he was crazy and then read up on the different styles and I am now sold on the GT-Air. Would have one tomorrow if I did not think my wife would beat me to death with it.
The RF-1100 is not exactly a race-oriented helmet, they have the X-Twelve for that. And for the full upright position the choice is Qwest. The RF-1100 should be a good fit for our bikes as long as it is a good fir for your head. GT-Air is a great option as well.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

bastage

I would look at the bell RS1 & Vector as well.. When I went looking for a helmet there was 1 aria that fit well (dont remember which model), but it was more than I was willing to spend (it was 550).. After a ton of research I ended up going with a bell vector helmet which fit every bit as well. Its a little loud, but the fitment & the several hundred dollar saving more then made up for the extra noise. Also the vents are orientated for the more upright riding position of the 6r.

BoneJj

scorpion has a could nice helmets as well...

The key is going to be finding the helmet that fits the crown of you head the best.

The RF-1100 has a lot of padding in it and I wish they made a similar helmet that fit my head as they are pretty comfortable. Just not the right shape for me. I had space from side to side inside that helmet.

I'm looking at the Arai signet-Q, though their color options pretty much suck for that one. I'm probably going to have to just go with a straight white helmet.

Last edited:

Cerebus

scorpion has a could nice helmets as well...

The key is going to be finding the helmet that fits the crown of you head the best.

The RF-1100 has a lot of padding in it and I wish they made a similar helmet that fit my head as they are pretty comfortable. Just not the right shape for me. I had space from side to side inside that helmet.

I'm looking at the Arai signet-Q, though their color options pretty much suck for that one. I'm probably going to have to just go with a straight white helmet.
These were the only 2 helmets I could find that would fit my melon. I ended up with the Signet-Q as it fit a little bit better ...but more importantly the material inside felt significantly better on my shaved head.

BoneJj

These were the only 2 helmets I could find that would fit my melon. I ended up with the Signet-Q as it fit a little bit better ...but more importantly the material inside felt significantly better on my shaved head.
Really? good to know. I've been considering shaving my head again but I have an oddly shaped head. I have to get a XL size

I have the Bell - RS1 right now and it's a good helmet but it's not as good as it should be. The padding is just too thin...