Help Please: New bike, Water in the oil.

Chuck12

I bought a new 2012 Yamaha FZ6R motorcycle last month, 3-15-14. Drove it home after the dealer said it was check out and ready to go. The bike now has 23 miles on it after only driving it home. Checked the oil level after a week of setting in my garage and it was 1/2" to 3/4" above the fill line on the stick. Yes, I heated the bike up as the dealer told me to and them check it after a minute or two. Called the Yamaha dealer with my concerns on 3-23-14. The bike has been sitting in the garage wanting to get insurance and licence.

Last week 4-15-14 I started to drain down the oil and water and sludgy oil started come out of the drain hole. Stopped and took a small sample. Decided to drain all the oil out of the bike. Oil looks very, very old and somewhat milky. Looks like the oil has water in it and has been in the bike for a long time. Kind of like if you left a lawn mower outside for several years in the rain and snow and then decided to change the oil. Could the engine head be getting water in it some how?

Contacted Dealer and he has picked up the bike on a trailer to be able to look at it.

Do you think the bike has been damaged in anyway? Could the bearing be pitted, water damaged or the engine crank? What should I do? It is supposed to be a brand new 2012 motorcycle made in 5-2012 from a Yamaha Dealer?

Could the transmission be damaged? How would I check it. Plan on sending an oil sample to BlackStone Laboratories to check the engine oil out.

What would you do? Ask to additional warranty coverage past the give one year at the dealer cost? I hope the bike isn't damaged and someday the engine or transmission goes to Hell very soon!

Last edited:

AL72

In this case the good news is that the bike has valid warranty, so don't worry. Maybe you get a new motorcycle from Yamaha, because water in the engine is very, very bad... I never trust an engine that has had wáter inside.
Taking an oil sample to the lab is an excelent idea.

Good luck!

Chuck12

Hope the Yamaha dealer will come through?

Yes, my stomach has been turning and in knots the last couple of days. I truly hope the Yamaha dealer is up front and honest with me. I would like to be able to write and tell people what a great place this local Yamaha dealer is to work with and purchase a bike from. Just have to wait and see.

The word of mouth can make or kill a dealership and or any business.

If you don’t believe this; just call WoodStock Soapstone WoodStove Company and ask Mike Harigan about the guy in Oregon and what I did for the Company.
:confused:
PS: If every company was ran like WoodStock SoapStone Company; consumers would never have to worry about making a purchase or consumer service after the sale. I have never dealt with a better group of people period.

yillbs

I purchased a bike and the next week the dealership went out of business. Never filed the title never paid taxes and never sent anything to yamaha (my current bike). So I had a bike I could not register yet..had to pay for. I called and spoke to several yamaha reps eventually got ahold of someone pretty high up . Yamaha didn't give two craps about me. They told me they can't police dealerships. I told them how it represents them ect. They didn't care. Two days later my headlight wouldn't work. Because the bike was never "sold" it didn't have a warranty. If I wanted to ride I had to pay. I did and yamaha never payed me back. Yamaha is by far the worst experience I've ever had In my life...I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Yes, my stomach has been turning and in knots the last couple of days. I truly hope the Yamaha dealer is up front and honest with me. I would like to be able to write and tell people what a great place this local Yamaha dealer is to work with and purchase a bike from. Just have to wait and see.

The word of mouth can make or kill a dealership and or any business.

If you don’t believe this; just call WoodStock Soapstone WoodStove Company and ask Mike Harigan about the guy in Oregon and what I did for the Company.
:confused:
PS: If every company was ran like WoodStock SoapStone Company; consumers would never have to worry about making a purchase or consumer service after the sale. I have never dealt with a better group of people period.

rhnatyk

I bought a new 2012 Yamaha FZ6R motorcycle last month, 4-15-14. ... Called the Yamaha dealer with my concerns on 4-23-14. ... Last week 4-30-14
Since you can apparently travel in time and all this happened in the future, I'd just return to the present and act like it never happened :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

bummer Chuck, hopefully the yami dealer really cares and just doesn't say oh it's ok to be done w/it

do you know if your bikes was still in the crate w/no oil until you purchased, or was it sitting in the showroom already prepped for a while?

Fizzer6R

I purchased a bike and the next week the dealership went out of business. Never filed the title never paid taxes and never sent anything to yamaha (my current bike). So I had a bike I could not register yet..had to pay for. I called and spoke to several yamaha reps eventually got ahold of someone pretty high up . Yamaha didn't give two craps about me. They told me they can't police dealerships. I told them how it represents them ect. They didn't care. Two days later my headlight wouldn't work. Because the bike was never "sold" it didn't have a warranty. If I wanted to ride I had to pay. I did and yamaha never payed me back. Yamaha is by far the worst experience I've ever had In my life...I hope you have a better experience than I did.
wow sorry to hear! no way would I let yami off the hook on this one. social media is very powerful these days, bet if you keep pushing they'd react once you reach the right person.

years ago I bought a used Ninja, didn't even think about checking the VIN at first as the original owner titled & reg. it w/DMV. basically the dealer issued the wrong VIN to the bike on the title. they had to track down the other one was sold at the time yrs ago and correct the numbers on both, and it was a mess since multiple states were involved. kawi came through and sent correct copies of the originals.

FastFreddy

Hopefully it was just condensation build up from pushing the bike out the front in the day and into the shop during the night.

Chuck12

Update4-27-14 Water in oil

First off "Sorry" about getting the dates wrong on my first posting.

I am new to this game of purchasing motorcycles. If you read my first posting I became concerned with the high oil level at first. Then when I drained the oil down to bring the oil level to the proper level, sludgy oil and some water came out of the drain bolt hole. I called the dealer "Power Motor Sports" in Sublimity, Or. and they scheduled to pick the bike up on a trailer.

Power Motor Sports had the bike for approximately one week. During that time I talked to several people that work on bikes and a Harley service manager. The Harley service manager told me to give Power Sports a chance to make thing right. Other bike repair personal told me sense the bike is a 2012 and only has a total of 23 miles on it, I probably don't have a lot to worry about. If the engine had antifreeze in it, than definitely there would be a major concern. Bikes that set for a wile, started for a short times, not really heated up, will drawl condensation. Give that I still never seen oil look so sludgy.

The salesman and shop manager reported the following a week after having the bike. Power Sports drained the old oil out, put on some type of oil flash in it, installed in oil and filter. They check over the bike a drove it and could not see any damage or reason to tear down the engine.

Given all the information I have at the time, the salesman and shop-manager's professional attitude dealing with me, I think and hope this issue will be OK.
Yes; I say once again that Power Motor Sports dealt with me in professional manner and seemed to cared about my concerns.

Last edited:

latony007

Chuck id roll with it, its only 600 miles to the first oil change so you will still be in warranty. If it has water in it again then all bets are off.

SurfJunkie

soooo what will the dealer do?
The guy just said the dealer is putting new oil/oil filter. What else is there to do ?

Ride it and check it again in a few hundred miles. Or check the oil level daily if you are that freaked about it. It has warranty. If it dies its on them.