Help!! - FZ6Rs + Penske Trucks

dtrey28

So I am about to embark on a move to San Diego and I thought it wouldn't be a problem to put the bike in the back of my truck. Well it's in there but I was really intimidated by the ramp for some reason.

Long story short, I laid it down - not badly but it still sucks. I am already dreading getting it back off. In my mind I know I should be able to just ride it right down the ramp but I can tell you already that isn't going to happen. I am not afraid to admit that I am a newer rider and this stupid ramp is in my head. Anyway, I dont want to drop it again so what do you think the best way is to get it out of there?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Laying it down really gets the heart going even in an extremely low speed situation....

JSP

Super Moderator
You shouldnt ride it up and down the ramp. If you lose balance you really have no where to put your foot down.... then down you go.

You should have the bike on and running, then walk beside the ramp while slowly slipping the clutch and giving it some gas to get it moving. Have another up on the truck and beside it if at all possible. You should have a step stool to continue walking it up into the truck.

I did the same thing taking it out, but in reverse. Just use the brake instead of the clutch. Slowly let off to where you can control it rolling backwards off the ramp, while you are beside it, not on it.

IF you have room to turn the bike around in the moving truck and can ride it down, then that wont be as bad as ridng it up. I would personally still walk it.

ksanbon

I agree w/ jspansel.

My guess, if you dropped it going up the ramp, is that you were trying to go too slow. The problem is stopping at the top.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Ideally I would love to walk it however the ramp is too narrow i think.
You dont walk on the ramp with it. That is the point. The ramp is too narrow for you to walk on it. So going up or down, if you need to put your foot down because you are losing balance, then you fall.

Walk on the ground beside the ramp. You will need a step stool to step up into the truck, (or out of) so you can stay next to it all the way.

JSP

Super Moderator
Here...

Like this: (can skip to 30 secs in, as thats when he actually starts to move)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nElHAJqfrjA]YouTube - How To Load A Motorcycle Alone[/ame]

He isnt the most graceful at it, but it gets what im saying across better. And the box truck ramp will most likely be much less steep.

Still have helping hands around if you can.

dtrey28

That was good thanks for the reply. The only difference (and where i'm getting the fear factor actually) is that the ramp seems to be alot higher up than on that vid. I will have a couple hired helpers so I am sure we can figure it out. It def freaked me out though

jay

That was good thanks for the reply. The only difference (and where i'm getting the fear factor actually) is that the ramp seems to be alot higher up than on that vid. I will have a couple hired helpers so I am sure we can figure it out. It def freaked me out though
how tall are you? I have actually done this once, the guy in the video looks pretty tall, i am about 5'8" and i rode the bike up the ramp by keeping my feet on the side of the ramp, you have to be real focused and steady .. our bike is pretty heavy so it's good to have some help around. In both the options you have, key is not to clutch stop the bike, for getting bike down i turned around the bike and rode it down from the ramp very slowly using front brakes. i wish you were closer, i could have done this for ya

Detrich

sorry to hear that it tipped over uavoidably... :( i think most of us know that gutt-wrenching feeling when yit happens. hopefully not much damage...

but yah- next time, definitely get some help first. i think loading/ unloading onto a truck is definitely a 2 person job, engine off in neutral, and pushing it on/ off. that way if the ramp shifts or if for any reason something needs adjustment, then 1 person can always have 2 hands on the bike...

when the dealer delivered my bike, they loaded it onto the pickup truck with two ppl. and, i helped unload it when it got to my house. always 2 ppl... :)

dtrey28

yea i am about the same height as you - so I can barely flatfoot it. The super slow ride down with spotters i think is the way to go but again - I am dreading it which is not going to help.

Still open to other suggestions....

husker525

Just call me, and I will come help you load it. I have 2 other ramps to use that you can walk it up using the additional ramps for your feet.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

MikeN02

Strip it down piece by piece and reassemble...

j/k

I think it's a 2 - 3 people job as well, tried it once by myself... lets just say I had a crack lower cowl on my previous bike.

porky45

we'll get everyone in san diego to take turns riding it up and down :cool: