HELP!!!! FZ6R Shutting off!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

My little NSR50R is a 50cc race bike with a compression ratio of 7.2:1.
The FZ6R is 12.2:1.
Last race I added octane booster 104 to the Shell 91 octane fuel to see what it would do.
Once the engine was warmed and I was 1/2 way through the race the top end took a hit as the RPM wouldn't hit redline and sputtered.
Another race Dad with the #1 son and I were mixing it up real good out there but the last 2 races he got me on the straight. I asked him what was going on.
He said the stock plugs are fine, the Iridium plugs are OK but don't do anything for the top end. He also said they did extensive dyno testing of different brand fuels and octane ratings and boosters and the Shell 89 octane fuel generates more HP at 50:1 oil gas mix in the NSR50R than any other.
I bought a 10 pack of standard plugs (NGK9ES)and will be running the 89 octane and hope I don't get plug foul again in the race bike.
I tried the same trick in the FZ6R but it didn't run any faster with 91 octane and the octane booster so I am just running the 89 octane in the FZ6R now. After a tank I will hopefully notice the difference.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stricken

So did the the firmware work?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

Marthy....I mentioned exactly what you said above to another friend of mine and he seems to think tha TPS in general is bad ( I know the R1's had this issue 2) and suggests taking the PC5 off and taking it to the dealer (warrenity issue)

What do you guys think?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Definitely sounds sensor related , since these bikes have so few it should be easy to narrow down .
If it were a Auto I would have said ,TPS , MAF or Vacuum Leak .
Since there is no DFCO (Deacceleration Fuel Cut Off , cuts off injectors and adds timing to burn off fuel) on these bikes , IPW (Injector Pulse Width Modulation , time of squirt) is all we can really play with and if the injectors are cutting off after rev something sensor related is probably causing it .
Good advice on taking it back to dealer on warranty .

Last edited by a moderator:

behindXgrnXeyes

well took the box off and besides alot of popping and bogging...it didnt stall out after i rode it around a little to warm it up then rev it alot. Going to try again when I get home from riding it to work to see one last time if it does it....if not sounds like its the PC5 and I'll be going to Marthys to get the firmware/update haha

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Here's a pic of the swingarm sticker from Florida... :D With all honesty, Premium is just a more refind fuel. And for about $.75 difference per tank is it really a big deal? Not for me.

I don't use premium in my cager anynore,but back when it was new and I was pouding miles on that thing like car's were going out of fashion... I use premium because the car ran better, and I was getting a solid 50 miles more per tank in average. I haven't try to compare with the bike... but at 11ish:1 compresion ratio it just make me feel better to use premium...

Like I said, I don't want to start another fuel octane rating discution here... or oil & oil filter :surrender:
Lol it's my first bike and I'm just being extra special with it. I'm sure after this bike I'll be like ahh fuck it :p

behindXgrnXeyes

I'd also call/email them... if they've known about this issue, why haven't they already updated the firmware in all units shipped.:confused:

maybe they don't get enough complaints about it, so why not add to their list.
Marthy alrdy did, id be going over there to "use" when they talked to him about

Deanohh

I'd also call/email them... if they've known about this issue, why haven't they already updated the firmware in all units shipped.:confused:

maybe they don't get enough complaints about it, so why not add to their list.
The first thing to do with any of the electionic gizmos is to go to the website or call and see if there are any updates of firmware/software. They don't know how long stuff is sitting in warehouses and they make improvements on the fly. I think when I got my pcV, there were updates to the software program for the pc and updates for the pcV which I kind of expected.... no big deal, just make sure you have the latest. Also the installation of the update for the pcV had to be installed 3 times in a row because it would error out, then install a little bit farther, and then on the 3rd time it fully installed all the way. It sounded screwey, but the Dynojet guy talked me through this on the phone and it worked fine after I then calibrated the tps (on the pcV with the engine running) and got the map loaded. I also hooked up the temperature wire which lets you set some of the parameters based on if the engine is cold or warmed up.

Deanohh

Lol it's my first bike and I'm just being extra special with it. I'm sure after this bike I'll be like ahh fuck it :p
Premium gas is not more refined. I has additives that prevent pre ignition in high compression engines.... you could say it is formulated to burn slower, but the engines that have to use it have more power because of the high compression. My bike doesn't knock on reg gas, so why would I use a premium fuel that has additives to retard the burn? There is no more energy produced when equal amounts of reg and premium fuel are burned....thats a fact. There is no benefit to use premium fuel if you don't need it, but at least it doesn't hurt anything.

Don't say I'm full of sh t unless you check it out.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jjb

Premium gas is not more refined. I has additives that prevent pre ignition in high compression engines....
Actually Premium gas has a higher Octane to Heptane rating. Octane ignites at a higher compressiong than heptane:

from HowStuffWorks "How Gasoline Works"

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, methane, propane and butane are all hydrocarbons. Methane has a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

Also, from the link in my sig:
Get Your Facts on High Octane Gasoline