HELP! Any jeep guys out there?

Ivan_13

I've always wanted a jeep. I think they look awesome, and I've always dreamed of taking one out to the desert..

Anyways, my brother in law is wanting to get rid of his, and he wants to sell it to me.

It's a '92 grand Cherokee. It has 192,000 miles. It is in EXCELLENT condition. He takes real good care of his cars.. He told me he has all here upgrades on it. I'm not too familiar with cars, let alone jeeps, let alone the upgrades for them, so it just sounded like gibberish to me. It's a manual transmission, 4-wheel drive. He said something about it having a kit, cage, something about the axles, tires, and it being raised. He said its ready to go climb rocks basically. This was his project car, and is very attached, and would rather sell it to family.

He wants me to make him an offer, but I'm totally clueless atm. Can anyone shine some light on this issue?

Riccochet

Jeep guy here. Need more specifics. Aside from the needs....it's a '92. With 192k miles on it. Expect it to nickle and dime you to death.

Even if it's been well taken care of and has some decent mods I don't think I'd offer more than $1k for it. The older JGC's weren't the best platforms for modding.

My suggestion would be to find an older Wrangler. Preferably a TJ (97+). You'll spend more, but get a lot more out of it.

crs5011

JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

Older Jeeps can be pretty reliable and have a lot less electronics to deal with. I don't claim to be any form of a mechanic, but outside of inspections, I'm the only one that works on my 94 Wrangler.

Not that its a big deal, but I'm betting its a 93. They came out late spring in 92 as a 93 model. It has a pretty dependable workhorse for a motor if it still has the inline 6. These are known to work well into the 200,000 mile range with minimal issues and are easy to work on with easy access to parts. Our spare family car was a 2000 with over 270,000 miles on it the day it died. Even then it could have been fixed for less than $700, but there was no need to have 2 spare cars. The transmission isn't the best Jeep has ever used, but it is by no means the worst. It can easily handle the power from the I6 4.0L.

Without specifics on the custom pieces its hard to value. A lot of people fab stuff specific to their Jeep rather than buying, or modify it to work.

A good place to do some research is jeepforum.com. You'll want to look for the ZJ section as that is the model code for that year of Grand Cherokee.

I'm with Riccochet, look for a Wrangler if you're getting something for the off road capability. Lots of parts and mods you can do to an already capable vehicle. I wouldn't go much beyond $2k for this GC. Above that and you can start looking into something that may be better suited for you're goals or offer an opportunity for you to start modding yourself.

Fizzi6ergal

I'm not a guy... But my husband is, and he drives a 92/93 jeep grand cherokee 6 cylinder. It's nickname is "The Goat". I guess those years have been notorious for bad neutral safety switches. We've got a bad switch right now which makes it very hard to start in situations. That's the only bad thing about our jeep. We call it "The Goat" because right after we bought it, our test for it was hunting. This thing has no lift, no suspension upgrade. All stock everything underneath. And it still climbs hills and flexes like it has an upgrade. The Goat has well over 200,000 miles on him as well. I think he's got around 230,000. Still runs like a champ besides the neutral safety switch. But when that acts up, we just throw it into neutral and start it from there. He is having an issue with the thermostat as well. But so is my car which is 10 years newer.

Dustin600

I had a '95 Jeep Cherokee. 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. 5-speed manual transmission. I bought it with 90,000 miles on it. I put 100,000 miles on myself and never did a thing to it except change the oil. What a great Jeep. The only reason I got rid of it was because the Jeep Dealer gave me $9,000 for it as a trade in during Cash for Clunkers! Those 6 cylinders run great. A friend of mine had one that went to 270,000 miles before he sold it.

2013 Fz6r satin

JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

Older Jeeps can be pretty reliable and have a lot less electronics to deal with. I don't claim to be any form of a mechanic, but outside of inspections, I'm the only one that works on my 94 Wrangler.

Not that its a big deal, but I'm betting its a 93. They came out late spring in 92 as a 93 model. It has a pretty dependable workhorse for a motor if it still has the inline 6. These are known to work well into the 200,000 mile range with minimal issues and are easy to work on with easy access to parts. Our spare family car was a 2000 with over 270,000 miles on it the day it died. Even then it could have been fixed for less than $700, but there was no need to have 2 spare cars. The transmission isn't the best Jeep has ever used, but it is by no means the worst. It can easily handle the power from the I6 4.0L.

Without specifics on the custom pieces its hard to value. A lot of people fab stuff specific to their Jeep rather than buying, or modify it to work.

A good place to do some research is jeepforum.com. You'll want to look for the ZJ section as that is the model code for that year of Grand Cherokee.

I'm with Riccochet, look for a Wrangler if you're getting something for the off road capability. Lots of parts and mods you can do to an already capable vehicle. I wouldn't go much beyond $2k for this GC. Above that and you can start looking into something that may be better suited for you're goals or offer an opportunity for you to start modding yourself.
I just sold my 94 wrangler,very reliable but likes gas...

Riccochet

People don't buy Wranglers to save gas. It's a rolling brick that's low geared. lol My 2012 gets 14mpg on a good day going down hill with a tail wind. Then again I'm rolling on 35's with 4.88 gears. :)

OP, it's hard to say if it's a good buy without seeing it. You might be buying a nightmare or a dream.

ej'sfz

you can never go wrong with buying a jeep...after market and even o.e. parts for any part of a jeep are super cheap and readily accessible in most cities. and the best part about being a jeeper is the people....if you happen to break down out on a trail run or out crawlin anywhere...jeepers are the best to have around. good people that usually get a kick out of helping and 9 times out of ten have spare parts in their rigs.
but thats just my opinion...not that im biased or anything............ :D

2013 Fz6r satin

you can never go wrong with buying a jeep...after market and even o.e. parts for any part of a jeep are super cheap and readily accessible in most cities. and the best part about being a jeeper is the people....if you happen to break down out on a trail run or out crawlin anywhere...jeepers are the best to have around. good people that usually get a kick out of helping and 9 times out of ten have spare parts in their rigs.
but thats just my opinion...not that im biased or anything............ :D
94 wrangler window storage bags...opened after 19 years...looks like excellent rifle storage bags...buy the jeep and have fun...image.jpg

Ivan_13

Thanks for the help guys! I'm actually meeting up with him, to take it out for a drive. I'll take lots of pictures, of every inch of the car. And I'll get all the specifics.

oOKooZOo

I have an '01 Wrangler. Sucks gas but I wouldn't trade it fir anything. I would say the main problem with jeeps is that they'll rust out before they break down. They're the best off road vehicle but not great on the street. And nothing beats them in the snow (that's the main reason I bought mine living in MN). Just have to find them in the right shape and right price.

Ivan_13

Alright guys! Sorry I took so long.

The jeep is a '92 grand cherokee. 200k miles.

Mods done are:

-4.10 gears
-slip yoke eliminator
-ox lockers
-a warn winch
-5 1/2 inch rubicon express lift kit
-"33 inch tires that are in great shape
-side rails
-bumpers
-dual batteries

I have no idea how much this jeep is really worth, so I've yet to make him an offer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

Riccochet

That's a pretty clean looking XJ. But like I said, expect higher than normal maintenance costs. Ask if you can take it to a shop and see if the frame is straight. XJ's are uni-body design, not body on frame. A lot of people modded them and wheeled them without stiffening the uni-body which causes them to rack a bit.

ej'sfz

that thing is super clean, mines an 89 with 220k and doesnt look nearly that good lol...
i would honestly say its probably worth 5k but id offer 3k without an issue as long as it drives good, offer whatever you want, worst he can say is no. and as far as maintenance cost, jeeps are cheap. with a huge after market supply, it's quick,pretty easy and cheap to fix. even if motor, trans or transfer case blow up, there is so much available from the internet to wrecking yards you really cant go wrong. i would jump on it if i were you, just depends on how much he is asking....