HELP! Any jeep guys out there?

Ivan_13

that thing is super clean, mines an 89 with 220k and doesnt look nearly that good lol...
i would honestly say its probably worth 5k but id offer 3k without an issue as long as it drives good, offer whatever you want, worst he can say is no. and as far as maintenance cost, jeeps are cheap. with a huge after market supply, it's quick,pretty easy and cheap to fix. even if motor, trans or transfer case blow up, there is so much available from the internet to wrecking yards you really cant go wrong. i would jump on it if i were you, just depends on how much he is asking....
He hasn't told me how much he wants for it. He wants me to make him an offer. Which is why I'm on here asking.

I was thinking around 5-6k. what do you guys think?

ej'sfz

I'd say that's about what its worth....try and pay as little as you can without insulting the guy of course haha..I payed 3k for mine and it doesn't have lockers and isn't as clean....I did get a whole parts jeep and extras with it, but if you can get it for under $5k its a score...

MightyRoach51

I've always wanted a jeep. I think they look awesome, and I've always dreamed of taking one out to the desert..

Anyways, my brother in law is wanting to get rid of his, and he wants to sell it to me.

It's a '92 grand Cherokee. It has 192,000 miles. It is in EXCELLENT condition. He takes real good care of his cars.. He told me he has all here upgrades on it. I'm not too familiar with cars, let alone jeeps, let alone the upgrades for them, so it just sounded like gibberish to me. It's a manual transmission, 4-wheel drive. He said something about it having a kit, cage, something about the axles, tires, and it being raised. He said its ready to go climb rocks basically. This was his project car, and is very attached, and would rather sell it to family.

He wants me to make him an offer, but I'm totally clueless atm. Can anyone shine some light on this issue?

Personaly id rather have an I-6 Any inline will run forever plus the torque is unbeatable ie(older Fords with the 4.9 or Cummins they are well proven and dependable) just dependa on how you.drive it and how much you go play with it my work truck has the 24v Cummins 5.9 its a beast pulls 14,000+lbs like nothing that's.also got just over 560,xxx miles on it

crs5011

That is a very clean and solid looking XJ. It also has a lot of the initial "off road" upgrades, such as the lift, lockers, etc. All things that he is probably losing money on selling the rig.

I'd agree with ej'sfz, I would expect to pay somewhere between 4-5k. If he's taken the time to do the upgrades right, chances are its well taken care of (much better than the my family's 270k mile Grand Cherokee) so I would have little concern over the mileage. Also, its not like it will be your DD, so if it goes down, it could be fixed.

I'd just throw out a number, something you can pay pretty quickly if he agrees, and see what he says.

Ivan_13

That is a very clean and solid looking XJ. It also has a lot of the initial "off road" upgrades, such as the lift, lockers, etc. All things that he is probably losing money on selling the rig.

I'd agree with ej'sfz, I would expect to pay somewhere between 4-5k. If he's taken the time to do the upgrades right, chances are its well taken care of (much better than the my family's 270k mile Grand Cherokee) so I would have little concern over the mileage. Also, its not like it will be your DD, so if it goes down, it could be fixed.

I'd just throw out a number, something you can pay pretty quickly if he agrees, and see what he says.
The KBB website only goes back 20 years on the jeep cherokee. However I found a web page saying that as of last year, the kbb value on a '92 cherokee is between $800-3800, based on the condition.

So I think ima offer him $3800, cash, upfront. And see where it goes from there. Any opinions on that? I know he's gonna bring up the condition of it, and all the money he's put into it, and try to get more money out of me. This guy is a busines man for living, and I'm a terrible business man. So we'll see how that goes..

So according to everything I've read here, and on jeepforum.com , ima have to sadly turn him down if he tries to go over 5K. What do you guys think?

ej'sfz

Yea man I wouldn't go over 5k... and yea he has all the aftermarket goodies, but I know when I build my projects like I do, one can never expect to get what you put into it...just doesn't happen...if he does turn you down for anything under 5k, there's always a good score on a jeep on craigslist with most of that stuff for less...stick to your guns on your prices though. ..sometimes ya even gotta talk some sense into a businessman lol..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That car looks pretty cherry for 200k miles. I wanted a JGC when I was in high school. I'm happy with my 05 Wrangler though, even though mods are pretty pricey. For your JGC, I'd go 3800-4000 check, 3000-3500 cash.

pjmac5

The KBB website only goes back 20 years on the jeep cherokee. However I found a web page saying that as of last year, the kbb value on a '92 cherokee is between $800-3800, based on the condition.

So I think ima offer him $3800, cash, upfront. And see where it goes from there. Any opinions on that? I know he's gonna bring up the condition of it, and all the money he's put into it, and try to get more money out of me. This guy is a busines man for living, and I'm a terrible business man. So we'll see how that goes..

So according to everything I've read here, and on jeepforum.com , ima have to sadly turn him down if he tries to go over 5K. What do you guys think?
I owned a 99 Grand Cherokee with 260k miles. I sold her for $2800 a few years ago. The inline 6 is practically bullet proof but after 200k, I was always fixing something (starters, alts, etc.). Then I lost the rear end in Las Vegas at 255k.. I ended up replacing it in the parking lot of the Marriot. Bottom line, no matter how nice it looks, you need to be prepared to be nickel and dimed until something major (engine, rear end).

Hard to say from pictures but knowing that a $1500-2000 repair could happen at any time, maybe $3000. If you buy her, add a quart of Lucas at every oil change and she will love you long time.

I replaced my 99 with an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. She has 120k without a single problem (knock on wood).

Riccochet

the 4.0 i6's are bulletproof....until about 250k miles. I've owned plenty, and almost all of them have taken some sort of crap at 250k miles. Head gaskets, worn out cam, pistons/rings, spun bottom end bearings. Always something. But once you rebuild it they're good for another 250k of punishment. lol. I'd offer $2k firm. Nothing more.

Ivan_13

So we talked, and he said he's not taking anything under 6,500. It's a shame, since I really wanted this jeep.:mad:

ej'sfz

Sorry man... maybe if it was an obd2 car I would consider goin up a little, but not to 6500...it may be worth it to him but and it would be to me too, but to a buyer its not quite worth it...but hey if you eant a project, I've got a 96 2dr xj that needs a motor lol....in pretty good shape too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk