Helmets with less wind noise?

erndog87

Hello everyone!

I have been riding for about 6 months now and does anyone know of any particular helmet that doesn't have as much wind noise? The reason I'm asking is because I do a lot of highway riding and with my current helmet the noise is pretty unbearable. I know its not going to be as quiet as a car but I do want something with less noise. Thanks for your help!!!:zombie:

miketriebsch

I 2nd that don't buy the cheap gmax helmets they sell at the Yamaha shops. The one with the cool lights built into the back. Super noisy and did not hold up well in my wreck. Such a bad head injury didn't even know I owned a motorcycle after the wreck. Plus it felt like I wasn't even wearing a helmet.

BoneJj

A quick fix for a lot of helmet noise is to go but a, I believe the right term is cravat or something like that, there is another word for them but I can't remember it right now. I have like 10 of them at home.... it's basically a really big bandana. Like 4 of them toghether of something like that.

You give it a loose roll so that its a bit airy so to speak and then wrap it around your neck. It will be able to wrap around 2 times. Then just do a regular overhand not or use a safety pin to hold it together and tuck it around itself so it doesn't come loose with the air beating on it.

It will help drastically with the bad air that gets up under the bottom side of the helmet. I do this with my bell RS1 and it makes life so much easier with it like that. Also if you sweat you get a really nice cooling effect at speed that will make it feel like AC, if you ride during the summer in places like Florida were the weather just makes you want to stay indoors it's so nasty! I much prefer to ride all winter long down here......

Chucker

I read a Cycle World review on the Shoei Qwest and they said it was the quietest helmet they'd ever tested.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

motogp6r

i rode with the scorpion exo 900 for 8 months and recently starting riding witha suomy vandal. i can tell a huge difference in wind noise and aerodynamics. if you do a lot of riding at fast speeds, 70+ or greater, than i suggest a suomy vandal or if you have the money to shell out a spec1r.

and btw earplugs are the good but if your going to go with that option test out a few different brands to find the best fit and easiest applicable plug for you. i tried earplugs out for a week or two and they just werent for me. and other guys swear by them... just my .03 cents.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dcBear78

Hello everyone!

I have been riding for about 6 months now and does anyone know of any particular helmet that doesn't have as much wind noise? The reason I'm asking is because I do a lot of highway riding and with my current helmet the noise is pretty unbearable. I know its not going to be as quiet as a car but I do want something with less noise. Thanks for your help!!!:zombie:
What helmet do you have?

I'll trade a little wind noise for airflow and lightness. I've only owned one helmet which is an OGK, and they aren't available in the states for some reason. It is super awesome and half the price of an equivalent Shoei.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

ear plugs! ... AND a good quality helmet.
My AGV k2 is loud as H E double Hockey sticks....But its pure secksiness for looks. Its light, and also aerodynamic.

:thumbup:

raybob

Ear plugs, dude.

I use the Howard Leight laserlite uncorded plugs. About $25/200 from Amazon. There are youtube videos on how to insert them.

Bob

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

I figured out the name of the things I have.

SHEMAGH SCARF
or
Balaclava

They work great to reduce bad air under the lower side of the helmet. My helmet even though it has a nice tight fit all over but the air that gets around the bottom edge just makes a lot of noise. Since starting to use the above it just makes riding nice to not get that nasty wind noise all over the place.

erndog87

What helmet do you have?

I'll trade a little wind noise for airflow and lightness. I've only owned one helmet which is an OGK, and they aren't available in the states for some reason. It is super awesome and half the price of an equivalent Shoei.
I currently have the Icon Airframe

Alex6

What helmet do you have?

Are you sure it is not also half the quality and protection that Shoei has?

CtrlAltDl

I'm a self-admitted helmet whore. I currently own over 10 helmets. Five of them are Shoei's, one Arai, and a few others.

I've literally bought over 25 helmets over the years, and always end up using my Shoei's, simply because they are the most quite helmet I've ever used.

FYI, if your Shoei isn't quiet you need to adjust the lens, or need a smaller helmet.

Deanohh

I have a ex-1100 scorpion. Very light and pretty quiet. Good side visibility. XL fits me like a Nolan L. Not too expensive. Seems to be a good value.