Helmet cam comparison: Go Pro HD v Contour HD 1080

Stricken

Bought the Go pro hero HD and the Contour HD 1080 since I did not know which one was better. I tested both cams by mounting them on my helmet. I had the Go Pro Hero HD mounted on the top of my helmet and the Contour HD 1080 mounted on the right side of my helmet. Overall I thought both cams were great. If you plan on using the cam on the helmet, the Contour HD 1080 is better since it is smaller and a lot easier to setup (has lasers to help you aim and level the cam). But if you plan on mounting the cam anywhere else besides the helmet then the Go Pro Hero HD is better since it has a wider field-of-view and mounts to anything.

I have recorded my ride on both cameras. They both have very similar video quality. The Go Pro Hero HD is very slightly sharper than the Contour HD 1080. Youtube, as usual, has greatly diminished the video quality of both videos once I have uploaded them online.

www.pbase.com/all86/image/129887839.jpg
www.pbase.com/all86/image/129887840.jpg

Go Pro Hero HD
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86WIfQE-pI]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R Helmet Cam Test Go Pro Hero HD 1080[/ame]

Contour HD 1080
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIhjph_CzY]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R Helmet Cam Test Contour HD 1080[/ame]

Spunky99

Excellent test there.
Honestly, except for a slightly wider field of view the video looked just as good on both test runs. I did notice the Contour sound picked up some things that the GoPro didn't. Interesting to say the least. I was looking at cams tonight earlier and the GoPro seemed to be about as un-aerodynamic as a brick on top of your helmet. Do you notice the drag at speed with the GoPro?
I want to record my races on the Honda NSR50R in the M1GP next year and the contour looked like the way to go but both cams have bad reviews.
The Contour got dinged for being DOA and the battery failing quickly while the GoPro was said to rattle in the buttons and literally fall apart.

Do you know where the best price is for the Contour?
I've found the GoPro Hero for 232.00 and the Contour for 279.00.

bjs045

Nicely done. I've always wanted to see a review with both mounted at the same time. After much research, you've confirmed my conclusions.

GoPro Hero HD has better sound quality. When GoPro redesigned the Hero Standard for the Hero HD they also relocated the on-board mic, which resolved the wind noise issue. Also, the redesign resolved the vibration or rattle sound when used in any motor sport. It's also water proof for snow and water sports.

If your looking for a vlogging(video blogging) camera the Contour HD maybe your solution. Of course you'll void your warranty. There is a video out there which shows "how to" mod your Contour HD's on-board mic into a 3.5mm jack. Find a 3.5mm mic and run it into the helmet.

Spunky99

There is a video out there which shows "how to" mod your Contour HD's on-board mic into a 3.5mm jack. Find a 3.5mm mic and run it into the helmet.
Pray tell where?

Spunky99

Perfect......
I found a Contour HD 1080P on eBay for 227.00 incl shipping.
I have an Aiptek GVS that uses the same batteries and I have 2 spare ones already. Now I have to decide which microphone to mount in the helmet go go with the Contour. That part is not discussed on the YouTube video tho. I'll solder a 3.5mm jack and mount that to the case so I can plug in whatever mic I want. I also have a throat mic I can use and that will totally eliminate all wind noise, engine noise etc.