hello, I'm pondering a FZ6R

BoneJj

I currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and will more than likely be keeping it as a general cruising bike but I would also like to get a bike that doesn't eat gas (read big CC cruisers) but can keep up at 80-90mph, the speeds I have to run in order to not get run over on the interstates around here.

I'm going to be looking around the forum and see what's up but one of my biggest reasonings behind it is that it seems to have the lowest seat height on the market right now and has a decent size motor but also that it's not a super sport, I can't ride in the tuck position anymore due to damage to one of my arms from my time in the military. I'm mainly looking for that more upright position as that's comfortable for me. So this and a few other bikes are on my list, I am also looking at the:

CB1000R
Versys

I'd really like to get a touring bike but they are generally out of my price range. Something like the:
Concours
ST1300
FJR1300
But like I said the touring bikes are a little to steep for me to buy right now, even the used models. I'm open to suggestions on all the above though.

I'm curious though, I'm no small guy... I weigh in at 275 right now and though I'm slowing loosing weight I honestly don't expect to drop 50 over night either... lol. Are there any other bigger guys, or girls, on here that ride the fz6r and what their input is on it's upper speed abilities with our size.

Last edited:

See red

I am 195... but my dad weighs in at a heavy 290. He has ridden it, it moves fine, I go two up with my wife once in a while, so, figure around 375 on it. Handles wierd, but thats because the weight is pushed back, you should be ok.

Deanohh

the Suzuki GSX1250 is more of a standard riding position, you're behind a fairing and plenty of highway power... less money than the fancier touring bikes you mentioned. For the money, the FZ6R goes down the road pretty good and to me feels solid at high speed, but you might get tired of it and want more pep after a while.

RoadTrip

The reason to buy an FZ6R or Ninja650 is because they are near SS abilities for sane street use, with plenty of power down low, lightweight, wind protection, and especially lower insurance (than a full SS).

The bigger bikes you listed will have outstanding power, but will be much heavier, great for the interstate and sweepers, but not so much for tight twisties. The FZ6R and Ninja650 will handle your weight fine, and will run up to a 100mph without too much effort, the ST bikes you mention will blast up to 100 and beyond with very little effort.

I personally like to wring my machines a bit, wife has a G35, and I just wanna punch it all the time, but then it really goes too fast, kinda like having your finger on a trigger and never getting to pull it. However, my new little 600SS has to be wrung out a bit, whereas a liter SS you never have to leave 3rd gear. So you should decide if you are punch and squirt or Rev it kind of guy; me, I am a Rev it guy. I like to run it up and make it scream a bit, so a 600 size engine works well for me.

Last edited:

Superzoom

I would say a used Bandit 1200 or 1250 would be perfect for your uses. Great bang for buck, tons of torque, good sport touring mount.

BoneJj

I am 195... but my dad weighs in at a heavy 290. He has ridden it, it moves fine, I go two up with my wife once in a while, so, figure around 375 on it. Handles wierd, but thats because the weight is pushed back, you should be ok.
very good, thanks for the input.

the Suzuki GSX1250 is more of a standard riding position, you're behind a fairing and plenty of highway power... less money than the fancier touring bikes you mentioned. For the money, the FZ6R goes down the road pretty good and to me feels solid at high speed, but you might get tired of it and want more pep after a while.
I looked the gsx1250 up and I like it but it's still a bit pricey, to be honest I had kind of forgotten about the Suzuki line. I do like the bike though, it looks like a very comfy ride and a set of bags would be a nice thing to have seeing as I plan to use it for commuting back and forth to work and school (yes, old guy going back to school...). Though the seat height annoys me. I rather like the lower seating, I could easily modify one with a lower kit I guess but I wouldn't want to go too low with it from the stock height. I think I'd be happiest around 29 inches. Thank you for the info, this gives me more to think about. As for the pep issue, I don't care about pep too much. I'm not a peppy kind of person, I just like to get out and ride and have a little fun, not go crazy.

The reason to buy an FZ6R or Ninja650 is because they are near SS abilities for sane street use, with plenty of power down low, lightweight, wind protection, and especially lower insurance (than a full SS).

The bigger bikes you listed will have outstanding power, but will be much heavier, great for the interstate and sweepers, but not so much for tight twisties. The FZ6R and Ninja650 will handle your weight fine, and will run up to a 100mph without too much effort, the ST bikes you mention will blast up to 100 and beyond with very little effort.

I personally like to wring my machines a bit, wife has a G35, and I just wanna punch it all the time, but then it really goes too fast, kinda like having your finger on a trigger and never getting to pull it. However, my new little 600SS has to be wrung out a bit, whereas a liter SS you never have to leave 3rd gear. So you should decide if you are punch and squirt or Rev it kind of guy; me, I am a Rev it guy. I like to run it up and make it scream a bit, so a 600 size engine works well for me.
As you mention the wind protection, that's one of the main reasons I'm looking at the FZ6R, I want the fairings for the wind protection at speed so make the ride a little more enjoyable vs being plastered with bugs, like I'm currently having to run into on my vulcan, lol. As for the reving, I like both, I don't mind having to crank the throttle but if I didn't have to I would be okay with that as well.

I can't do the SuperSport bikes though, my arm just can't take that anymore. Once you have something nearly ripped from your body and then put back together it just doesn't work the same anymore. So anything with a tuck position or even 3/4 is pretty much out of the question for me. I need that more upright position.

I would say a used Bandit 1200 or 1250 would be perfect for your uses. Great bang for buck, tons of torque, good sport touring mount.
It looks like a good mount but the naked aspect I don't care for. It it were for just around town then I would probably pick one up but for now it just wont work for me. I do like it though.

Try this thread, u should be fine on the fz6r, very versatile bike.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f99/help-buying-xj6-needed-24085

My old man is close to 275 and he loves the bike, very zippy and maneuverable for him.
I was actually looking at that thread earlier tonight, thanks for the reference, I'll have to go back and finish it.

excellent info, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

swatguy

As far as the FZ6R I ride mine all highway pretty much as my daily driver when I can. It's 60miles one way. I am on the highway at 80-85mph almost all 60miles. The bike does well, but I am contemplating upgrading as well. I am 6ft 180lbs. I added a puig racing screen and the wind flows perfectly over my helmet. I avg around 40mpgs-45mpgs depending on how long I am over the 80mph mark. Some guys have suggested i up the sprocket by one tooth to get a little lower rpm range at the 85mph mark. When I rode more city streets i was n the 45mpg range taking it easy. I also have rode 70mph just to get milage and easily maintaned 45mpgs no problem.

I have only been riding an FZ6R for 2 yrs and don't have much experience on very many current year bikes, so I am far from the professional on advice, but here is what has been happening to me.

I am debating on upgrading to an FZ1 since I am almost all highway. You can get a full fairng kit that gives you the protection you look for, however I will be honest, I had the opportunity to drive an FZ1 for 2 days to and from work and the front fairing directed a ton of wind off your body without the lower fairing. I didn't really keep track of mpg's as my buddy who owned the bike never resets his trip except for long trips but he claims to average 40 or so from when he used to keep track. I originally debated FZ1 or FZ6R and felt I wanted the FZ6R more because when I bought it I was mosty riding in the city with an ocassional highway ride. Now I am mostly highway and less city so the FZ1 is kind of staying in the back of my head. (tho as some have noticed I may jump to a more standard supersport bike like the Yammie R6S with heli bars instead of the FZ1).

I think if you are riding a majority city streets n back roads with the occassional highway trip the FZ6R will be perfect. It hangs no problems at all. I think if you plan on ringing it out on the interstate 75% or more you really would like an FZ1 or bigger sport tourer much better as you will appreciate the extra power at that speed range.

Deanohh

It looks like a good mount but the naked aspect I don't care for. It it were for just around town then I would probably pick one up but for now it just wont work for me. I do like it though.

THe Bandits are not all that naked cause you're behind a windscreen and upper fairing. The only thing the lower fairing does really is make it harder to change the oil. Get a used one and you'll be sittin pretty. For example, around here a guy has a 2004 on Craigslist with less than 7k miles for $3400.

You might think about the seat height. Compared to your cruiser, the I4 seats and frames are a different leg position and the seats and frame areas are probably narrower, which lets your legs reach easier.
My Street Triple has a seat height of 31.8 inches and it is no trouble at all. The Versys is very tall and even I don't like the reach to the ground.... you should try out the bike and not just go by the seat height spec.

Last edited:

roadrat

I weigh 210 and the FZ6r has plenty of power, even on the freeway. I have it fitted with a Puig racing screen and with a Shoei Qwest helmet (designed for more upright aerodynamics) I can ride all day on the freeway 70 to 80 mph no problem. I also have the seat adjusted to the high position. That being said, I also have a Ninja 1000 which has similar ergos. I prefer the N1K on the freeway because it is just getting to 5,000 rpms at 80 mph - plenty of extra power to squirt around cars and a bit more wind protection with the screen set on the tallest setting. The 6r is still more fun in the twisties. :D

Bloke

I weighed 305lbs. Have the xj6s version and have seen indicated speeds as high as 120, though at that point every bump in the tarmac caused a change of a few mph.

Now I weigh 275ish and it's still performing great.

Recommend you inflate tyres to the upper limits in the book though and ramp up preload to max.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
I am 5'6" and 285, I have ridden with my wife 2-up. It handles just fine and has plenty of power still. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it does for a 600.

Chucker

If you've got arm problems and are concerned about a SS, you may find that a sport touring bike still can become painful after a while. If I was in your shoes, I'd take a serious look at the Versys, Varadero, V-Strom, or Hypermotard. Personally, I'd be leaning toward the Hypermotard 796.

BoneJj

If you've got arm problems and are concerned about a SS, you may find that a sport touring bike still can become painful after a while. If I was in your shoes, I'd take a serious look at the Versys, Varadero, V-Strom, or Hypermotard. Personally, I'd be leaning toward the Hypermotard 796.
you guys have been extremely helpful.

I have looked at the Versys, it was actually recommended by one of the stores I went to not too long ago and sitting on one I found that I would have to drop it a good 3 inches just to make it comfortable at a stop. I think that's taking it a bit far for that bike, I have concerns about dropping a bike too much. If the Versys were a couple inches lower I would probably jump at it though.

One of the reasons I mention dropping is that I also have a lot of damage to my left leg/ankle which causes me to not be able to stand on my toes, I actually just had surgery to try and fix some of the issues I have in that leg only 6 months ago. I have been in physical therapy since trying to get the muscles built back up in the foot and lower leg again. I now have 4 screws in my foot as well as a lot of ligament repair and so on. So I need to be close to flat on my feet at a light as possible. As it is I already have to get on my bike from the wrong side. I can't just throw my right leg over like you are supposed to be able to do. I have to go the opposite way as that's easier for me, I do do it the right way a times but after a long day I need to do it the wrong way. Once I'm on i'm good to go though.

I was looking around and came across the:
Honda NT700V, seems like a model that's been around for a while and might be a very viable option for comfortable riding and with a 1-2 inch drop that might line the bars and everything up to make it almost a zero angle upright. Though the fz6r could be about the same.

So right now I think I might be a little closer in what might fit me well but you guys keep giving me a lot to consider with all your suggestions.

so far I rather like the idea of the:
Suzuki GSX1250fa - for that size bike the 5 gallon tank seems off to me, should be a 6 at least.
Yamaha FZ6R - would need a better screen/diffuser but that's easily taken care of, I think I would go the way of marthy on that one, the mini sport touring. This is mainly why I started looking at the fz6r is because it's basically a mini-touring bike, just without the bigger screen and fairings.
Honda NT700V - I'd probably pursue an 06-10 model without the ABS as I don't care for it.

I didn't really want to go to a larger cc as I find them to be a bit excessive. for my needs. I rarely need to go faster than 90mph, rarely and really shouldn't as that's a nasty ticket... I just find the bigger bikes a bit of a turn off as a lot of them get no better mileage than my Subaru WRX, lol. I wouldn't mind going to a 900ish cc as a max but anything above that I find a bit excessive. I used to ride a 1985 honda magna 500 back in the day, that had a lot of juice back then and it would take me right up to 80 without issue, though I was only 200 pounds at that time, lol. I also had an early CBR600 that I rode a lot before my arm was screwed up, that was a fun little bike. I rather miss that one. I might end up in the larger cc though, I guess it all depends on what I can find around me...

As Chucker mentions I might run into some problems with some of these being a little too forward leaning but that's normally pretty easy to fix with some different bars/risers. Isn't it pretty easy to get something like a 1up2back set for most of these bikes? I know with cruisers it's an easy swap and normally you don't need to extend any wires unless you are going more than 4inches total. I'd imagine it's close to that with the sport bikes but will probably not be nearly as easy as a cruiser in just replacing the risers, lol.

Hellgate

Check out an FZ1. It's all over the Bandit, and second hand they are next to free, insurance is dirt cheap too.

6 gallon tank, good luck with that one.

BoneJj

Check out an FZ1. It's all over the Bandit, and second hand they are next to free, insurance is dirt cheap too.

6 gallon tank, good luck with that one.
The Yamaha FJR1300A has a 6.6 gallon tank
Kawasaki Concours has a 5.8
Honda ST1300 has a 7.7
Honda nv700 has a 5.2
Suzuki V-strom is 5.8 for the 1000, the 650 has a 5.3, I like the v-strom but it's a little too naked for me.

Just to point out a few sizes, lol.

I jut think that if it's over 600 it should be more than 5 gallons and apparently a lot of other people think the same as I do. The Tank size should match the engine size/mpg rating. You should be able to hit 200 miles without having to go into the reserve. I know, I think crazy... If it's close I don't mind though but a 1000cc with a 5 gallon tank kind of blows...

See red

All of those are designated sport touring bikes. This is a standard/ sport bike.

It makes a compromise between all. It does well as a sport bike. it does well as a mini sport tourer. just a standard. Comfy for a week, and have some real fun on the way.

One example of a set up for sport touring. Marthy has a nice set up, Hieneken had a good set up. Plenty of peeps here set them up opposite end, strictly sport. I have gotten close to 220miles on a tank. I am looking for a little more and will work at it. but you get the idea.

BoneJj

All of those are designated sport touring bikes. This is a standard/ sport bike.

It makes a compromise between all. It does well as a sport bike. it does well as a mini sport tourer. just a standard. Comfy for a week, and have some real fun on the way.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s42/redwrex/my bikes/0913111856.jpg

One example of a set up for sport touring. Marthy has a nice set up, Hieneken had a good set up. Plenty of peeps here set them up opposite end, strictly sport. I have gotten close to 220miles on a tank. I am looking for a little more and will work at it. but you get the idea.
That is a pretty good looking setup, I think over the weekend I'm going to go sit on one and check it out in person and see what I think of it. I might not be able to go until the weekend after next though.

Jots S.R.M.C.

I'm a experienced rider.. some racing experience in me, parking lot pro stunting, and MILES AND MILES under my belt.

I purchased the fz6r due to these pros"

Price
Capability
Looks
Comfort
Gas - Prices / Mileage

Heres my cons in the bike ( compared to a full Super Sport bike) Some can be measured as pros its strictly opinion

1.The bike has low rearsets (Foot pegs)

If you are Into the twisties like me prepare for them to touch the ground.. every turn !

2. High-range power.. It seems slow to me on the highway

3. Mirrors (Ugly) I removed mine.

4. 160 rear tire.. Now i've gone through 4 sets of tires and found some really cheap yet GREAT touring tires that alot of people underrate. now this is a pro as they are cheap and due to the size of the motor and strength of the brakes make the tires last a long time
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f67/review-shinko-advance-005-sport-touring-cheap-tire-23270/ thats my review... I have no problem scraping knee on them so they are perfect for my riding.. and they are AWESOME in the rain..

Now back to size.. I like to have tires that dip into turns harder but this is a Mid-Range touring bike.. so Those tires i just posted my review (Shinko advance 005 sports) are perfect for it..

5. Exhaust is extremly quiet, you cannot put a slip on - on the bike you have to get a full exhaust system or cut the down pipe and weld a can on.

6. Suspension- You need to put fork emulators in the front if you want to adjust it.. This was a no-brainer mod for me.. and after doing the mod I REALLY enjoy the setup.. And i scrape my pegs less..

7. Gas Mileage - it's nothing special, but it is a motorcycle.. / Gas Tank.. For a Touring bike i'd hope you could get more then 130 miles out of a tank...

8. Seat- Your going to want to replace the seats if you do any long rides.. I haven't yet.. but when I went to cali from arizona this summer my butt hurt bad..

Ok that's just basicly whats at the top of my head.. I love my bike. She doesn't everything I have asked her to do- I passed 600 GSXR's and CBRS in a track day like nothing, I do it on the mountain.. It's very capable in the right hands as ANY Review in any magazine you read will find.. It's pretty darn comfortable.. All I had to do was adjust the back suspension when I bought it a few clicks and it was ready to hit the twistys on the stock tires.. I later installed my Race-tek Fork cartiage Emulators.. Easy and afordable mod!!

Let me think if there is anything else.. Um, Not really that many spots to mount luggage- but there is a guy that fab's something cool up i've seen.. You can fab anything up at that matter- the hand bars on the back come in handy for bungys..

Pros....

Price, Wont make you a felon (well I guess it could) But the bike wont go over 130. and due to the Spedo not being correct thats more like 120.

Absolutely awesome in the twistys minus the fact the pegs scrape.. I mean its no track bike. But it performs!.

Great braking power, the fact it runs the inexpensive "harder" compound shinko tires and they have awesome stick and stopping blows my mind. I weight 200 so - it brings me to a stop..

I like the riding position it has upper's (raised bars) - comfortable pegs (AS THEY ARE VERY LOW)

Easy to work on !! Plastics come off in a easy manner.. No bending or awkward angles puting them on.. or taking them off- I installed the fork cartige emulators myself and adjusted. Easy to remove the tires and adjust the chain- Easy to maintain, clean.

Not too much power- comfortable torque. and it wheeeelies :)

overall it's a great starter bike, commuter, decent bike for a guy with more skill then the bike can use. It does what I need it to do.. It takes me from point a to b.. It puts me in my adrenaline state of mind when im on the mountains or in the canyons.. I can strap everything I need to - to it.. i'll post a pic to show u you California trip luggage.. After finding the shinko tires - They last ALONG TIME!!! and they are CHEAP!! Decent on gas though the gas tank is small to my touring standard.. It looks awesome. Fuel gage, trip's a and b recording.. Lights are easy to see at night.. Great lamp.

and my most favorite thing about the bike..

It does everything I need it to do- Comfort, cornering, long trips, track. Fun.

I hope this helps, I hope you get on a FZ6-r and Ride it to see ( I didn't ride one before I bought it.. I Strictly read reviews and a friend had one from his words I accepted his input.. it was much like what I put in, though I have alot more to it).

I covered the taillight so i had to adjust the bags lol

It can get you in trouble !

Right off the show room capable of hitting the corners!!!

I hope you like my input- take it into consideration. And definitly if you get the bike.. THink about exhuast so you are heard, get the fork cartiage emulators and the shinko tires!

Last edited: