heated handle grips? Why?

Sirnice

I'm bored so this is just a random thought.

Whats the point of heated handle grips (BMW bikes)? When riding in cold weather, most people wear gloves. I don't see it as a feature, just another thing that could go bad and require $$$ to fix.

What ya think?

Last edited:

stuna

that depends on what you call cold . i ride my wing in the 30s , some people in the teens . the 6r in the cold and wind , mits do not do it :eek:

AngryAnt

Just me personally, I don't like gloves so thick I can't feel the controls. I'd rather have thinner gloves + heated grips over crazy thick gloves.

JSP

Super Moderator
I had grip heaters on the FZ6R and it was the best mod I ever made! No matter what gloves you wear, if you ride in cold weather like I do, 20's-40's, you will greatly appreciate them. Your hands will still get very cold in those temps no matter what glove you have. So the hand warmers are awesome and warm blood coming from your fingers help keep the rest of you warm. Heck, just feeling any heat at those temps makes a world of a difference.

And when you are on a group ride and stop, then everyone is huddled around your handlebars trying to warm up their hands... they are worth it. ;)

Rookasaki

Riding in 20+ degree weather for a good 45mins... I'm sorry but no glove can keep your fingers and hands warm! (my finger tips always get frozen).

CrazyCawi

Ive never had that problem rook, ive always found a nice warm place to keep my fingers lol

XTRAWLD

I have heated grips on my 6R. I love them. Riding first thing in the morning when it's cool, turn them on and you actually have some dexterity in your hands for the times you need to clutch and brake. If you do alot of spring/fall riding it also comes in quite handy.

AngryAnt

I'm thinking this year I might try out a pair of heated gloves since I installed a 12v adapter. Anybody had good / bad experienced with heated gloves over heated handle grips?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

ChUcK

I have the grip heaters installed, love 'em. If I had to do it all over again though, I'd go heated gloves. That way you can cruise with your left hand off the grips and still benefit. I wonder how their heating capacity lasts over time...

My buddy wired up his heaters, but he connected to the brights wire instead of the regular headlamp wire, haha. He's too lazy to relocate so he just rolls around brighting it up when necessary.

Skidro

There is a website that tells you what the wind chill is on a motorcycle. You think about 85MPH @ 30 Degrees, gloves don't keep your hands warm at those numbers. Trust me i ride year round, but I Love It!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

findmadhav

I got my bike last February. The winter in NJ was horrible. Irrespective I rode my bike when it was not snowing. I had thick gloves on. As many people said in this thread, however thick or warm your gloves are, your palms start getting numb after a while (you can only understand if you experience it).
My friend has heated gloves with temperature modulator. He is perfectly warmed up in winter. :)

See red

Grip warmers, and seat is getting a warmer chiller, I am working with a freind to make leg heaters as well. I am going to see about making my grips heated and reversable to cool like the seat