Heated Grips -- Your Approach

What's the overall best option (price, ease of install, other) for winter hands?

• Heated grips

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Heated grip covers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heated gloves

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Heated glove inserts

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Under-the grip heating element kit

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Just good gloves

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

CtrlAltDl

I'm using under-the grip heating element kit with dirt bike brush guards. Keeps my hands warm and dry, as long as I'm moving.

Last edited:

CtrlAltDl

FYI, under-the grip heating element kit cost less than $30, but are a bit of work to install.

Heated gloves and heated grips cost significantly more and do wear out.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

yfz6r

Finished the under-the-grip heater install. Was quite a learning experience. Details in my blog...Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - mikebaileyvienna
Very cool. How do they work?

Also, the best thing for the hands in the winter is covers. Either the neat looking plastic guards or something goofy looking but functional like
New Motorcycle Snowmobile Handlebar Muffs Black Hand Covers | eBay

If you take the wind off your hands all you need are some insulating gloves.
Covers + the heat grips you installed may not require gloves at all

High Park

I have under the grip heaters. Work very nicely, but finger tips still get cold as zero celsius approaches, even with "insulated" motorcycle gloves (Dainese, d-dry). Snowmobile gloves help, but a little clunky on the clutch. I know a very experienced rider who claims that if you have a heated vest, everything else stays warm.

Bloke

I have under the grip heaters. Work very nicely, but finger tips still get cold as zero celsius approaches, even with "insulated" motorcycle gloves (Dainese, d-dry). Snowmobile gloves help, but a little clunky on the clutch. I know a very experienced rider who claims that if you have a heated vest, everything else stays warm.
That's true but wind chill gets to your hands all the same. I have a set of oxford "bone dry" bar muffs.

They don't require me to change to clunky winter gloves and are cozy warm to use in temps that have me brushing ice off of my seat in the morning at speeds that would get me banned from riding on the motorway.

SAFE-T

Get the bar covers and either heated grips or good gloves. The heated grips will work way better on lower settings with lighter gloves under the bar covers.

BoneJj

Get the bar covers and either heated grips or good gloves. The heated grips will work way better on lower settings with lighter gloves under the bar covers.
This is one mod that I want to do for next winter down here in florida. While i don't really need them I would like to have a little extra comfort just for the hell of it while I'm riding during the colder months down here.

engineered2win

I tried the Oxford Sport grips and didn't like the texture or the wires that all pointed in the wrong directions and looked like a thoughtless accessory. I decided to reuse the Oxford PWM controller, as it has sufficient adjustability and was already in the inventory. I built a bar mount for the controller (oh why doesn't Oxford make one instead of that cheezy hunk of scrap metal). The grip heaters are Polly heaters, which are basically ceramic resistors in a brass shell for vibration durability. They go inside the bar, so a full stealth installation would be undetectable. Unfortunately they don't fit inside our handlebars because the threaded bushings for the bar ends are welded to the bar. I first had to remove the bushings and drilled a hole near the bar mounts. If you wanted to be extra OCD, you could drill out the bar mount and upper triple tree clamp and run the wires through the bar, inside the bar mount, and out the bottom of the triple tree for a stealth install. With that out of the way, the only question was bar ends. I found some on ebay that fit a 14mm ID bars and use a rubber bushing that expands went you tighten the bolt. I just need to paint them black instead of the goofy fake carbon, and clean up some of the wire sheathing. They obviously take slightly longer to feel heat than heated grips, but I can run whatever grips I want and the install is very clean.

Last edited: