Headed to the track!

txjames

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

take it slow 1st couple sessions, then go balls out.

can't tell if you have frame sliders?

JonKerr

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Chucker

What are you using for tires?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

you will love it! i did my first trackday last month and I'm already signed up for 2 this weekend, and 2 more later in august.

txjames

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

Ask them to have a pro lead you around the track a couple of times to learn the line. Following the race line makes a world of difference. If you take it easy to start and ask for pointers, you'll get faster and faster as the day progresses and will be surprised at your improvement by the end of the day.

Also, you might want to take the feelers off your pegs if you haven't already. They can scare the crap out of you the first time they touch down.

And remember - smooth is fast.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bmw675

Some track day groups will have a separate group at the start for people whove never been on a track. They take you out with an instructor for an orientation. If they do that at yours its a huge help

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
I went with Sportbike track time, they are mainly here in the midwest and south. In novice group, the first 3 sessions of the day were all follow the leader with your instructor (groups of 4-5). 1 session was to work on lines, 2nd was break and throttle control, 3rd was body positioning. after lunch they opened it up. I learned a huge amount from following the instructor, and feedback on what I did/could do better.

They also had a 5 min classroom session after every outing on the track to talk about what we learned. I was absolutely amazed at how much the coaches really wanted to help us indivdually. :thumbup:

FastFreddy

To make new friends in between sessions, you can say "it's my first time here, what's your excuse for being in the slow group ?"

If the photographer keeps moving corners, you'll probably get good at that section by the end of the day.

Keep the toes out of the way. Maybe not exactly like Wayne, but it gets you thinking.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empfCKa3_0A"]Wayne Gardner_Eastern Creek_14.8.09 - YouTube[/ame]

As they say, "Don't chop the throttle or stiffen up" if the pegs touch, you can stay cool and let it grind or slowly roll off the throttle. The instinct is to back off and pick it straight back up, but that can make you run slightly wide sometimes.

Last edited:

Chucker

As they say, "Don't chop the throttle or stiffen up" if the pegs touch, you can stay cool and let it grind or slowly roll off the throttle. The instinct is to back off and pick it straight back up, but that can make you run slightly wide sometimes.
The same goes for your toe sliders and sidestand. Be prepared for them to touch. I remove my sidestand for track days because it always touches. It's easy to do and takes it out of the equation.

Chucker

So.... update?

How'd it go?

txjames

Elite Member

Chucker

Sorry. For some reason I read Aug 1.