He doesnt want the title??

cbzdel

So I was selling my Honda Ruckus on Craigslist and I found a buyer, he came out and looked at it and said he wanted to buy it.

I told him the price was $1900 cash and he whipped out his wallet. I told him before you get to excited I have to tell you I financed it and and don't have the title, I said give my $100 as a down payment and I will get the title and you will have it by the end of the week. He said I just drove 2 hours to get here (which he did) and he said unless you want to deliver it I want the bike now. I said we can write up a contact saying I took $1900 cash for the bike and let you take it and will mail the title to you. He said ok but I dont know whos name its going in yet so I will get back to you on that, because I am buying it for my cousin.. So he started sounding sketchy, so I told him I wanted to go to the bank to confirm his bills were legit and we did and they checked out, we both signed the contract saying he is buying the bike and I would mail him the title.

So I paid off the loan and got the title within a couple days, and called him up and left a message saying I got it, he didn't call back, the next day I emailed him and called him.. Nothing.. The next day I called him again, nothing.. This was 2 weeks ago, I have had the title for a full week calling him and emailing him and cant get any response.

WTF?? He doesn't want the title for this?? I have a contract saying I sold it, yet I have the title which I dont know what to do with it because he wont get back to me...

Any thoughts??

uscgduncan

If he is gonna register it in another state he probably won't need it. Just a bill of sale and then he can apply for a new title in his state. The DMV will make sure it is legit either way, just hang on to it for now. You should also send a letter to the DMV, a "Statement of Fact" saying you sold it to _____ and that you will not be registering it again.
Just my experience, your state may be different.

cbzdel

He lives in the same state just far away, as does the person he is gifting it to.

The reg. is expired, it expired on the 30st of last month.. So he cant even get current tabs for it...

nc_fz6r

Maybe he wants to turn it into a TRACK Scooter! :p

SiGPiGomer

I work for a car dealership here in michigan. I have had some issues like this in the past. I would recommend that you hold on to the title and the written document. Then I would go to your DMV, and tell them that you sold the bike to such and such. I would do that, so no liability comes back on you. Lets say the guy gets a parking ticket, and the police runs the vin, it will show you as the owner, and you will get a ticket in the mail. Thats what I would recommend you do.

cbzdel

I will try calling him one more time tonight then head to the DMV Thursday (my next day off) and report it sold and question them what I should do..

WenMark

As long as you make an honest effort then don't sweat it. let him contact you document your calls and e-mails just in case he tries to say you did not send it too him or at least try.

demon408

in cali it goes like this

as long as u file a release of liability within 5 days of sale it doesent matter what he does with the bike. until u file this and turn it in to dmv u are fully responably for whatever that bike does, hit and run, tickets, drive by scootin, ect. but im not sure about wa law.