having trouble leaning left

Sage

I'm the opposite CC. I can fly into a left turn with ease and almost drag knee, but the right turns are at maybe 50-70% of what I can do with lefts. Just practice and remember to look through the turn. That helped me a ton and when I became more aware of controlling the bike using countersteering.

CrazyCawi

I do look through the turns, and same here I can almost drag knee on a right hander....I hit a 45 yesterday going 80 and didnt bat an eye....I followed my designated line and followed through the turn perfect....but if I switch and go back on the same turn but take it left handed Im doing 50mph lol

D

Deleted member 9794

My problem with left turns on two way traffic streets. I look through the turn....at oncoming traffic! In right turns its no problem, I can always go a bit tighter if I feel the oncoming vehicle is a threat, but in a left hand turn, I go wide and to go wide I either straighten up a bit or slow down a bit and both actions mess up my line.

All I can suggest is to practice. So far, I've gotten allot better but the anxiety is still there.

Chucker

It's common for a rider to prefer or turn better going one way and not the other. :) Practice makes perfect. (I suck at righties myself).
You know CC, a lot of people would say it's good that you don't go both ways.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Soapartist

guys the title says it all....

I cant seem to get comfortable leaning off the bike for a left hand turn...
For me it's right turns... more specifically steep uphill right hand curves, so where can you practice that? I do fine on right curves/turns, but add some elevation to that turn and dang!

sammy56

Actually it's a more basic cause than that. It's down to your own balance. Almost everyone has a bias to one side over the other when it comes to balance. Those who don't...we call them professional athletes ;)

I can lean far better and easier to the left than I can the right on my bike. I wasn't surprised to learn that either, because I can lean into left turns while skating (crossover) and skiing as well. For some reason, my subconscious brain just won't allow me to commit to right hand turns as aggressively. Having coached hockey and worked with pro skating instructors, they'll tell you everyone has a good side and weak side, except pro figure skaters and NHL players for the most part.

Same with the bike...you are just wired that way. Can you work on it? Sure you can. But don't expect to completely eliminate it, because it's hardwired into you.
TOTALLY AGREE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As someone who has been playing hockey and skiing for 40 years, MadMike has it right!
Just enjoy your biases and have fun. I've played hockey with many folks who "almost" made it to the NHL and a few indeed made it, but for short stints. Even some of the pros have weak sides, which is why some excel. In a straight line, Sydney Crosby is not much faster than his competition, but once a sharp turn is necessary, he kills 'em.

LB

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

ksykes

Try "Ride Like a Pro"

I've consistently had trouble with lefts, especially stop from a start, but also curves and rolling turns. I watched the video Ride Like a Pro then went to the local theater parking lot with orange cones and ran slow speed drills. Weekly. At slow speeds, it's all about head and eyes, turn the handlebars. At faster speeds, gauge your entry speed and don't let anyone else tell you how fast or slow you should enter. Nothing has helped me like watching some other guys on really big bikes make this stuff look like a walk in the park.

Good luck!

maddozzy

im the opposite

I can fly into lefts real fast but i cant lean into rights very easily. Theres heaps more left turns on the way to work might have to find some more rights

CrazyCawi

I can fly into lefts real fast but i cant lean into rights very easily. Theres heaps more left turns on the way to work might have to find some more rights
when you go back home they are all right turns now ;)

raybob

I try to correct it but I still cant get my body shifted off the bike for a left hand turn.
Sounds like you're trying to do it all with your arms.

You need a strong core and legs so you aren't dependent upon your arms and shoulders to bear the weight of your body. Lots of crunches and some road work and you'll find slipping off the seat to one side or the other is simple. You should be able to steer (counter steer) a bike with a finger on each grip. Other than under really hard braking (pushups), you don't need a tremendous amount of upper body strength.

Bob

redprodigy35

^^

Squeeze your thighs around the tank and tilt.

I dunno-- I get into this "tight" setup whenever I want to hit a corner more aggressively.
I do it for right turns without thinking, but have to set up for the left... Especially decreasing radius turns.
Tank grips can help with this, and I am thinking about getting some.

I'd say roll the throttle a little harder to get more of that grip/traction feeling... For me it inspires more confidence in the middle of the turn.

dcBear78

Actually it's a more basic cause than that. It's down to your own balance. Almost everyone has a bias to one side over the other when it comes to balance. Those who don't...we call them professional athletes ;)

I can lean far better and easier to the left than I can the right on my bike. I wasn't surprised to learn that either, because I can lean into left turns while skating (crossover) and skiing as well. For some reason, my subconscious brain just won't allow me to commit to right hand turns as aggressively. Having coached hockey and worked with pro skating instructors, they'll tell you everyone has a good side and weak side, except pro figure skaters and NHL players for the most part.

Same with the bike...you are just wired that way. Can you work on it? Sure you can. But don't expect to completely eliminate it, because it's hardwired into you.
This is my theory too... .Actually based off the same principle. When I first started playing hockey (yeah, there is hockey down under) crossing over to the left was more difficult than the right. But practise has evened that up pretty much over time.

Same when I first jumped on my bike I noticed I was hesitant around the left handers. Once I come to realise this, and associate it in the way I have, I realise it is a mind thing and I quickly overcome it.