Has Anyone Been On An R1?

KelownaKeith

Well I'm already thinking about my next bike. The FZ6R is so much fun, would not a more capable bike even be that much more fun?

I know the R1 has crazy power and speed, but it also (I assume) has great brakes and handling. Probably a handful at first and I'm sure it comes with a significant learning curve, which is part of the attraction.

I look at a lot of bikes in the $12-20K range and I always come back to 2, the R1 and the Triumph Sprint ST.

I'm wondering if anyone here has been on an R1 and if so what they thought of it.
Is it a practical bike for the street/highway or just for the track?

BTW my wife is not too keen on me already looking at another bike when I just bought one this year. But it's fun to dream.

JonKerr

Elite Member

redwing-2001

I rode my son's R1 and what JonKerr said is exactly right. While the power of the R1 is exciting, the seating position will wear you out after a 100 miles.

angelsneverlose

remember also, our bike is not only much more tame, but also alot more fun on the street believe it or not! With out bikes, you can actually push it on the street (shifting, braking etc...) compared to an R1 where if you push it, your doing 100mph in first gear. Not to mention the R1's bog like crazy on the street because your going to slow!

friends with resol 1000, 929's, gixer 750 and a R1, have all riding my bike and believe it or not, for the street - they all like mine better! Theres are fun, yes... but after an hour, it gets old, and like i said, 99% of the power is a waste!

KelownaKeith

Theres are fun, yes... but after an hour, it gets old, and like i said, 99% of the power is a waste!
Thats the thing, you'd never use the power that you are paying for. At least on our bikes, you can twist every HP out of it. Still they are selling them for the street and the 2009 model has adjustable pegs and apparently not so extreme (aggressive) body positioning. Still you have to be curious about being on top of that much power.

I take my bike up a steep twisty mountain road (a ski resort that is empty during the summer months). It would be nice to have just a little bit more ooomph. I suppose one is never satisfied completely.

Thanks for the input.

fz6rwolf

If I wanted more ooomph I'd go FZ1 or one that I like also the Triumph Tiger. Plenty of power but comfortable riding position. If I ever get to where I can take few multi-state trips every year (and I don't mean New England) that's what I'll be looking for.

KelownaKeith

I spent some time lurking in th R1 Forum. One guy had an interesting quote:

"I decided I would rather have power and not need it than need it and not have it"

There was a thread comparing a 600 (like an R6) to a litre bike. All of them said they would never go back to the 600. It's to be expected.

Just like no one owning a 600 would ever go back to a 250, I suspect.

The Triumph Tiger is a nice bike, but The Triumph Sprint is a freaking beautiful bike that's sportier and has more power. I'm not a long distance rider, 3 or 4 hours is my max so long distance comfort is not a big issue with me.

When you get to the $15 - $20K range the variety of really good bikes is mind boggling.

Last edited:

Bigevildoer

I look at a lot of bikes in the $12-20K range and I always come back to 2, the R1 and the Triumph Sprint ST.
Wow... two COMPLETELY different bikes.... a track bike and a sport tourer.
You'll have to decide what you want the bike for and if your'e going to keep your FZ6R or not. If you're keeping it, I'd go for the R1 - when you want to rip it up you can ride the R1, if you want to tour or go a longer distance, take the FZ6R.

If you're not keeping the FZ6R, get the Triumph. Still goes like hell, but more comfortable than the R1 on anything over 30 minutes.

Just my $.02 worth.

zig308

Wow, I never even looked at the Triumph website until now. I do like the look and practicality of the Sprint ST. The saddle bags seem to blend into the bike well to make it a good tourer without sacrificing too much of the sport side of it.

Roaddawg

Wow, I never even looked at the Triumph website until now. I do like the look and practicality of the Sprint ST. The saddle bags seem to blend into the bike well to make it a good tourer without sacrificing too much of the sport side of it.
I wish someone would make a nice set of saddlebags (like on the Sprint ST) for our FZ6R.

KelownaKeith

Wow... two COMPLETELY different bikes.... a track bike and a sport tourer.
You'll have to decide what you want the bike for and if your'e going to keep your FZ6R or not. If you're keeping it, I'd go for the R1 - when you want to rip it up you can ride the R1, if you want to tour or go a longer distance, take the FZ6R.

If you're not keeping the FZ6R, get the Triumph. Still goes like hell, but more comfortable than the R1 on anything over 30 minutes.

Just my $.02 worth.
I wouldn't say they were completely different bikes. I think the Triumph is more sporty than a Tourer, if you take the saddlebags off, its a mean looking machine and I do think it's the most beautiful bike I've seen. Pictures don't do it justice. I wouldn't keep the FZ6R and you are right, the Triumph is the logical choice of the two (cheaper too). My head says Triumph, my heart says R1. The dudes in the R1 Forum say its not as bad a street bike as most think, once you get used to it.

I don't ride a lot in the city, just a 7 minute commute to work which is hardly worth gearing up for. I prefer the secondary mountain highways around here, that have the twisties and little traffic.

I know what will happen, I'll get a completely different bike, or, if the Corbin Seat comes through, might even stick with the FZ6R, it's a great bike for the money.

I think most of us will want a better bike eventually, if not for power or speed, at least for overall refinement.