Harbor Freight rear stand?

Brent27

Anyone have any good tips on using a rear stand without a second person? I picked up a rear stand probably on par with harbor freights and every time I try to use it I chicken out and bail out on using it. I keep getting scared the bike will topple over

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

brownwa

Anyone have any good tips on using a rear stand without a second person? I picked up a rear stand probably on par with harbor freights and every time I try to use it I chicken out and bail out on using it. I keep getting scared the bike will topple over
Wood blocks. I learned from a YouTube video. Go to Home Depot and ask them for two scraps of wood, totaling about 2 inches in height when stacked. On a FLAT surface, put the 2" of wood under your kickstand and the bike will be almost level. It will lean slightly towards the kickstand but be level enough to get the rear stand under. Make sure your bike is in 1st gear to avoid it rolling away. And that it's off. I had a buddy lay a Ducati monster on its side because the thing vibrated itself off of its stand.

This also necessitates a fender eliminator kit. You are significantly less likely to dump the bike without the excessive FZ6R fender trying to chop your hand off. Invest in T-Rex swing arm spools and the $40 aluminum rear stand, you will be very glad you did.

Anyway, I have been doing this all year, clean and oil my chain after every ride. The 2 inches of wood system works like a charm... at least that's what she said...

I had the aluminum stand that brownwa posted a link to. You don't even need spools unless you're changing the tire. I just hooked it on the rear axle bolt.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
The harbor freight wheel stand is essentially what you buy to hold you over until you get a more robust system. It's shoddy at best and definitely will start to fall apart eventually. I would check Craigslist in your local area for deals on rear wheel stands, I was able to snag a pit bull stand for just $50, you never know what you'll find.

Brent27

Thank you guys for the tips on using the stands. I'll give it another go this weekend as I want to get a good cleaning done on the chain since the weather won't be making my garage an oven and I'll be working on a few other things on the bike.

Brent27

Wanted to give a shout out a few weeks ago and forgot. I tried using the rear stand about 2 weeks ago to clean/lube chain and all the tips you guys gave was the key to finally get it up on the stand and stop worrying that I'd drop the bike. The scrap wood under the side stand made it feel much easier. Thanks guys!!

Element

Where do you buy the spool adapters, how hard are they to attach to the swing arms. Are there adapters for the fork as well?

Last edited: