Guitar - Beginner selection help

• Thread starter Deleted member 9794
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 9794

Hello All - I've signed up for a 6 week beginner guitar course in January so I need a guitar. I like the sound of acoustics but I'd like the ability to control the volume and not piss off neighbors (or embarrass myself) so I think I want an acoustic-electric. I'm not above buying used so I swung by a pawn shop that had an acoustic-electric for $189 - Jasmine Takamine (not sure of the model number) Jasmine Guitars - Dreadnought Models - the guy said it could probably use new strings so that'll be around $80. It looks like I could get one new for $199 on the internet w/ free shipping BUT I do have stuff I could trade at the pawn shop to reduce the price or maybe make an even swap (subwoofers, amp, swords).

I'll go check around at other local music shops and stores tomorrow but for now does anyone with experience have any recommendations?

yfz6r

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years now. Currently play a fender acoustic and an Ibanez electric. Cheap crate amp hooked up to GNX3 pedal for whatever sounds I desire.

For a first guitar, stay cheap. Look at a Fender Squire acoustic. That was my first and I still play it. Great sound, very light, affordable.

Many people forget something very important. Acoustic-electric guitars require an acoustic amplifier for quality sound. These are EXPENSIVE! An expensive guitar is also needed to take advantage of these amps. They have to capture the natural resonance of an acoustic guitar. So my advice on acoustic-electric is to stay away until it is something you need. Just learning, you will not need an uber-loud acoustic set-up. Acoustics without an amp can get plenty loud depending on your strumming force.

I would also recommend a cheap electric guitar with a small amp. You then have the option of clean sound or distortion. It is always fun experimenting with both while just learning new things.

Stay away from a pawn shop. Buy a guitar new. Anyone who gets rid of any guitars doesn't have a passion for the hobby (unless giving it to a nephew or something). I have 5 guitars and wouldn't dare get rid of one.

Did you say the guy at the pawn shop wanted $80 for putting strings on a guitar? Strings are about $7 and take 3 minutes to put on!

check out zzounds.com
I've used them, they always have the cheapest prices. Here are some recommendations from me:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIDR100
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0950816
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILPSPIIPPEB

Epiphones are great budget guitars. Fender and Ibanez have guitars for all levels.

One more thing. Whatever guitar you get, go to a local music store and get the lightest guage guitar strings you can. Playing a guitar hurts like a mother****er at first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9794

Did you say the guy at the pawn shop wanted $80 for putting strings on a guitar? Strings are about $7 and take 3 minutes to put on!
Not exactly, he referred me to a local music shop and said it would be about $80 to get new strings put on. Thanks for the heads up!

I would also recommend a cheap electric guitar with a small amp. You then have the option of clean sound or distortion. It is always fun experimenting with both while just learning new things.
So just to clarify, would you recommend a cheap electric over a cheap acoustic starting out (not acoustic-electric but just acoustic)?

yfz6r

So just to clarify, would you recommend a cheap electric over a cheap acoustic starting out (not acoustic-electric but just acoustic)?
Unless you are dead-set on an acoustic. Just for the simple fact that you can get so many more sounds out of an electric with just a simple cheap amp. My first electric was an ibanez with a small amp for around $150.

Here is a fender set-up with everything you need
Squier SE Special Strat Package at zZounds

If you go the electric route, your instructor will most likely have an amp ready for student use for classes.

Bloke

Depends on where you want to practice too. My electric guitar I love to play, but the tones do travel through walls relatively easily, granted I could plug in headphones and do it that way but either way my neighbours complain much less when I'm playing on my acoustic.

Oh and be aware if you have soft hands, playing an electric or steel string acoustic, it will hurt quite a bit if you practice for long periods at first but your skin will toughen over time at the ends of your fingers. I love playing my nylon strung acoustic for hours without discomfort but I have been left with weeping fingers after thrashing out some tracks on my electric.

Btw $80 for new strings... Omfg. That's mental. Like the guy above says, strings cost nowt and tbh if you're not confident fitting them your guitar teacher will/should be able to help you, once you do it once though it's a piece of cake.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

I have 2 acoustic guitars, a cheap Yamaha and an entry level Martin. Actually, both are great guitars, but the Martin tone really transports you.

My suggestion is to get a cheap one that you don't mind getting banged up, I would go with a big dreadnaught style body with a spruce top, my Yamaha is not even really solid wood, but it still sounds great (called the Eterna). New strings are a must, and typically you even need new ones on a new guitar as they sour rather quickly with oxidation, there is a big difference in sound from new to old strings, it is only like $20 for a new set installed at an honest music store.

I only play an hour or so a week, it really doesn't matter to me that I am not that good, I just love to participate in music and not just listen to it only, just get a cheap one and dedicate yourself to playing at least an hour a week. Many peeps play like the dickens for a few months and just give it up cause they get bored, that's why I say space it out a bit but stay dedicated over the long haul, for me it's not about being good, it's about participating in the music, it lifts my spirit.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

danieljardim

Just bought a Fender stratocaster (i think that's how it says) starter package with amp and accesories for 100 on black friday. I played guitar for about 5 years but it's being 7 without playing.

mikebaileyvienna

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Hellgate

Good stuff gentlemen! I envy all of you who can play. I can play the radio..

I bought a bitchin' Gretsch 6118 back in about 1996. I always wanted one, and back in that lifetime I could buy one so I did. I tried for a year and gave up. To this day I wish I'd never sold it...

This Christmas my gift to myself is a Blue Stratocaster. It's a reward for a Kickstarter project.

THIS time I'm going to learn damn it!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member