GoPro Camera

afilipo21

So, I've been thinking about getting a GoPro camera. I'm between the silver and black edition, but I dont know if spending all that cash on the camera is really worht it. I use my bike to commute during monday-friday and will go out for a ride during the weekends. What is you opinion on camcorders? any other brand you suggest I should try?

PS: I had an Optrix XD case for my iPhone, not worth it.

bmw675

Sure the new ones are always better. But if you are on a budget, why not find an original one or hero2. I have no desire to upgrade because mine works great.

Just an option. They can be had pretty cheap now.

JSP

Super Moderator
+1. New ones are awesome, but you may not need THAT much of a camera.

I didnt need all the black had to offer so I was going to get the silver. The silver is not much more than a smaller HD2 with built in wifi, which I did not really want. So I found a HD2 from a local guy with all sorts of extra mounts, etc for $175. Remember also, the new HD 3's do not come with hardly any mounts, so you need to buy those separate for more $$$.

Check your local CL and look for some deals.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

2wheelie

I have Drift HD and I love it. It comes standard with the remote which is extra on Gopro ($99?), but I think it's a must to have. And it is waterprove. What I don't like about the Gopro is how it's sticking out when placed on top of a helmet... looks funny.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BoneJj

I have Drift HD and I love it. It comes standard with the remote which is extra on Gopro ($99?), but I think it's a must to have. And it is waterprove. What I don't like about the Gopro is how it's sticking out when placed on top of a helmet... looks funny.
how is the battery life on your drift. I've looked at them in the past and I have concerns about battery life as I will go for rides that last several hours and don't want to have to worry about battery going dead on me. That seems to have been an issue in a few reviews for that camera.
Look at the Swann Freestyle and the Astack Actionpro (essentially the same) both great cams and significantly cheaper than the gopro.

Astak Astak ActionPro CM-7100 1080p HD Sports Action Waterproof Astak CM-7100 ActionPro CM-7100

Swann: Swann Freestyle 1080p HD Waterproof Sports Video Camera

They both come with LCD screens that bolt on and remote controls. I can speak for the Swann, and tell you I love it!
I never heard of them before, I take it you have the swann, do you upload your vids to youtube and how would you compare the light response and other aspects in terms to something like the gopro?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BoneJj

I haven't used it on the bike too much yet. I had watched videos with it and liked the output. In my house going from a light to dark room was no issue, it worked well. I have never owned a gopro, but cost vs. value I think this one wins by a good margin, and the difference in video quality is not much. With all the accessories that come with the Swann, it would cost about $400 or so to replicate with the remote control and LCD back screen etc.
Sir, you have my interest utterly peaked at this point....

I will hold off going nuts though until I can see some in use video with it. At pretty much half the price I'm quite interested to see what it can put out.

EDIT:
Is there a microphone plug on the swann? or an easy way to add an external mic at all?

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BoneJj

I'll try to set it up today, and use it in my car etc. and then post some vids. Bone check your PM.
I see no PM, lol.

but yeah, I'm curious about microphones and being able to add one in externally. is there a plug for a microphone at all?

2wheelie

how is the battery life on your drift. I've looked at them in the past and I have concerns about battery life as I will go for rides that last several hours and don't want to have to worry about battery going dead on me. That seems to have been an issue in a few reviews for that camera.
If memory serves me well, it came with the extended battery. It lasts for 5 hours (mixture of recording and stand-by). The small one is 2 hours.
Couple of vids I recorded at 720 (to save space).
Morning in French Alps - YouTube
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-Xn3Xbrm8]NH Ride2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7zcM-x2X_E]Yura's descent and ski villages - YouTube[/ame]

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

BoneJj

Just sent.

I don't think it has a plug for external mic. :eek:
damn, that's one of the things that I would really like. I mean I could probably modify it pretty easily to add one in but I'd really like to find a camera that has one built in that I can just plug in one of my other mics and roll with it.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member