Good price?

P

PAJeep

just the kind of post I've been looking for. OTD prices can sometimes be misleading though. Factors such as different state tax rates and trade-ins that affect the taxable amount in some states obviously can change the deal up a bit. I'm curious in what individuals are paying for the bike itself, freight, prep, docs, and then the state tax rate paid.

X

xj750_Pete

What am I supposed to do now? Should I offer them a take it or leave it price of 7500? Does that seem good? Would that work? I've never bought a bike before and don't seem to know how to handle this I guess.
Keep in mind that the dealer is NOT your friend and is NOT out to give you the best deal, at least when it comes to the sales department. Honestly be ruthless about it yet maintain your composure.

Here's my first haggle dealership experience. When I was shopping for a used 2005 YZF600R, the dealer quoted me for 7,000 OTD, including all the BS fees they throw in there. Can you believe that??? $7,000 for a used bike that is 4 years old! I could have gotten a new 2008 left over FZ6 for that price. I did my research, and know what outs there. When I told the sales manager that I wanted 4,600 OTD he gave me a mean look. He asked why I asked for such a low price, I asked him why is he asking for such a high price when I can purchase a new bike from a DIFFERENT dealership AND they will throw in a free T-shirt. His facial expression was priceless! Immediately he turned to Mr. Nice Guy and went away to see what he can do for me. A different sales manager came by and explained that there were inspection fees to see if the bike was top notch. Top notch??? BS!! I checked out the bike, Yamaha recommends that the brake lines be changed every 4 years, judging by the muddy color of the brake fluid I highly doubt they were changed. Again, the dude just gives me this "I hate you" stare. Anyways, the point is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. In this particular dealer, they led me to a table, took my credit card and ID card and held on to it during the negotiation, tried to rip me off, explained to me why they HAD to charge me this price. Used every trick that I know in sales (I've worked sales before). Do NOT let the dealer get to you. Set a price and stick to it. Don't be afraid to walk away. Its just a bike. If they get close, like around 100-200, OK take it. If they can't help you then you take their BS offer and show it to another dealer to see if they can do better. If this other dealer still offers a price too high yet lower than the first dealer, go back to the first dealer and show them this price and see what they can do or go to another one. Most likely, even if you do walk away, they might call you back later and lower the price.

We got a great forum here with lots of info, so you should be able to get a heck of a deal on the FZ6R. Just be patient, know your stuff and make the dealer work for you. They might try to play mind games, but you're smarter than that. Try $6,900 OTD as a starting point for negotiation or if they throw a bogus price at you, just say "I think that is a bit much. How about lowering it a bit?" Alrighty, so ends my rant. Good luck with the purchase!

MNDZA

Thanks for the great info. I'll stop by a different dealer tomorrow and try this out.

MNDZA

Actually yes. I just got my deal today. $7200 OTD.

MNDZA

I'm not sure exactly. I need to check the paperwork which I don't have with me right now. All I know is, I wanted to be close to 7k and they did it. I'm so excited! My first bike.

O-turn

Partier
I'm not sure exactly. I need to check the paperwork which I don't have with me right now. All I know is, I wanted to be close to 7k and they did it. I'm so excited! My first bike.
My first one as well! Congrats...