Going to be getting one soon....

FZ6Rin321

Hi i'm tyler. been looking around for my first bike (havent even tried a dirt bike.) and i've decided on the fz6r i like the raven/copper 2011 and i've already talked to the dealer near me. tips? tricks? lol i've already read pretty much every thread on here... oh and my experience on a motorcycle goes to the extent of my friend trying to teach me to ride on his gsxr1000 lol... when i tried to put it in first it started falling to the left... luckily he was standing there to catch it cause it was in first and as it was falling i grabbed the throttle automatically... so revved motor. 1st gear... lol yeah back to the main subject. i've noticed most people yelling search ... well like i said i've read most but what i didnt really see is much on specifically getting a more sporty riding position? is it possible? i dont want an r6 cause i probably couldnt handle it but i dont want to have to ride straight up at the same time... lol okay thats all i can think of for now. oh and i'm in cape canaveral florida btw about an hour north of marthy as far as i can tell

*edit* titusville florida. just moved into my own place with my wife and 9 month old =)

Last edited:

rahuljp

I have found that the most I can get from searching the forum is through google.

I just searched for apex (I know that doesnt help if you werent already aware of the clip ons), but for reference, type in search term site:www.600cc.org, in this case, apex site:www.600cc.org

Here's one thread to get you started...
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f90/apex-clip-ons-review-19795/

Here's another one about handlebar position
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/adjusting-handlebar-position-15761/

:iconbeer: Cheers!

rahuljp

I also think I misread here... I thought you said you had dirt bike experience... I think the other members might say that you are better of starting on a Kawi 250 or so since the FZ6R is not really a beginners bike although it is less power than an R6. It is also a relatively heavy bike. Anyways, it is your decision to make, so sit on one, feel it out and then decide!

FZ6Rin321

I have found that the most I can get from searching the forum is through google.

I just searched for apex (I know that doesnt help if you werent already aware of the clip ons), but for reference, type in search term site:www.600cc.org, in this case, apex site:www.600cc.org

Here's one thread to get you started...
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f90/apex-clip-ons-review-19795/

Here's another one about handlebar position
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/adjusting-handlebar-position-15761/

:iconbeer: Cheers!
Okay i still am kinda confused ... lol i honestly dont know what i'm looking at watching that video does that lower the handlebars?

FZ6Rin321

I also think I misread here... I thought you said you had dirt bike experience... I think the other members might say that you are better of starting on a Kawi 250 or so since the FZ6R is not really a beginners bike although it is less power than an R6. It is also a relatively heavy bike. Anyways, it is your decision to make, so sit on one, feel it out and then decide!
i was originally going to go with either a ninja 250 or a cbr250 but then i was told by... everyone that after a month i'd be on a moped... and i dont want to be stuck with that. i want a bike to grow into instead of growing out of

FZ6Rin321

okay so after going through the thread on the apex clip ons i've decided thats awsome lol. but does it really lower the handlebars enough to get the sport feel? and do i have to get rearsets as well ?

JSP

Super Moderator
Honestly? Dont worry about none of that yet. Learn how to ride the bike first! Take the motorcycle saftey class first and learn to ride before you start modding a bike into a more uncomfortable position.

FZ6Rin321

Honestly? Dont worry about none of that yet. Learn how to ride the bike first! Take the motorcycle saftey class first and learn to ride before you start modding a bike into a more uncomfortable position.
Sounds like a good idea. lol I tend to get very ahead of myself... theres a large chance i cant even buy the bike until i get next years taxes. but i like research...

rahuljp

I know what you mean and I agree with Jay. Definitely take the MSF course...it is very informative/useful. I also did a lot of research on the bike with regards to mods but I'm gonna ride the bike as it is for a lil while before I start making any major changes.

FZ6Rin321

I know what you mean and I agree with Jay. Definitely take the MSF course...it is very informative/useful. I also did a lot of research on the bike with regards to mods but I'm gonna ride the bike as it is for a lil while before I start making any major changes.
i actually have to take the course regardless. in florida its a requirement to get the endorsement. i cant wait to take it though i'll be glad to learn how to ride... without dropping a liter bike on my leg lol

Tmak73

One of the best ways to find whats comfortable. I sat on just about every sport bike I could after doing research on on them all. Personally the upright position is way more comfortable than having to lay over the tank like a gsxr or some other supersport. Thats just my opinion though. You can still tuck down on this bike when you want/need to.

blkbrd

Elite Member

RoadTrip

going tomorrow to sit on bikes at the dealership
if it feels too small and cramped, it probably is, if it feels intimidating, then it probably is, if it feels comfortable, then it probably will be - I wasn't sold on the FZ6R looks initially, but I knew it was a great fit ergonomically from the first time I sat on it (unlike the 250r which felt too small, and the 650r which had strange bars).

Then I read a crap load of reviews, and youtube videos, all pointed to the FZ6R - and best of all, just like the Yamaha advertisement says, 'you won't outgrow it too fast'

Last edited:

FZ6Rin321

Well... i'm kinda set on getting a brand new bike. if i get one used i'll end up being reckless on it because i wont care about it.. i tend to take better care and am more cautious with new items... cant wait =)

e.blackadder

Well... i'm kinda set on getting a brand new bike. if i get one used i'll end up being reckless on it because i wont care about it.. i tend to take better care and am more cautious with new items... cant wait =)
Apples to apples, this does not apply to motorcycles. Especially in the beginning you will be learning your limits. Dropping the bike is part of learning the limits. It won't be new and shiny after you drop it 3 times and then you'll be lusting after a new one.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

FZ6Rin321

Apples to apples, this does not apply to motorcycles. Especially in the beginning you will be learning your limits. Dropping the bike is part of learning the limits. It won't be new and shiny after you drop it 3 times and then you'll be lusting after a new one.
Well i plan on taking steps to insure i wont be lusting.. i.e. frame sliders and full coverage. was quoted 38 a month...

I will say that i am definitely inexperienced but that doesnt mean i need to buy an older bike. just means i need to learn how to be careful... and if that fails report a claim... lol

bakkenlab

Well i plan on taking steps to insure i wont be lusting.. i.e. frame sliders and full coverage. was quoted 38 a month...

I will say that i am definitely inexperienced but that doesnt mean i need to buy an older bike. just means i need to learn how to be careful... and if that fails report a claim... lol
You never know, you could learn fast like i did. I bought an 09 raven brand new last summer as my first bike, and my only prior experience was riding a dirt bike 4 times with a friend. Its been a year since ive had it and i haven't dropped it once *knock on wood*, i have found my limits on this bike with what to/not to do. It was the perfect beginners bike for me id say. I remember my friends saying i would get bored with a 250r in a couple weeks, i could see that being true because the fz6r has plenty of that beginner power that you never get old of. And once you put on a decent exhaust system and start making your own mods, youll never get sick of it.

Do what you want, but if you can pick up things fast and dont over do yourself for a couple months, the fz6r would be perfect for a beginners bike id recommend.

FZ6Rin321

You never know, you could learn fast like i did. I bought an 09 raven brand new last summer as my first bike, and my only prior experience was riding a dirt bike 4 times with a friend. Its been a year since ive had it and i haven't dropped it once *knock on wood*, i have found my limits on this bike with what to/not to do. It was the perfect beginners bike for me id say. I remember my friends saying i would get bored with a 250r in a couple weeks, i could see that being true because the fz6r has plenty of that beginner power that you never get old of. And once you put on a decent exhaust system and start making your own mods, youll never get sick of it.

Do what you want, but if you can pick up things fast and dont over do yourself for a couple months, the fz6r would be perfect for a beginners bike id recommend.
Thanks. Yeah i dont want to be stuck on a moped lol... although quite a few of the people down here ride them... i'm not in that category