Givi Easylock Racks Installation Question - Fender Nuts Non-Removable

csystems

So I got the 364FZ Top Case Monorack Sidearms for the FZ6R which says 2009-2014; I have the 2013 model.

It has the a support bar/plate that is supposed to connect underneath the rear seat. You pull the four bolts that actually hold on the rear fender/light/plate assembly. The way the diagram shows I am supposed to remove the existing bolts and then attach the plate using the longer ones provided. Only problem is the bolts that hold the fender/plate set on has the bolts tack welded to the fender.

So it seems like my only option is to get some extra long bolts and tighten through and then bolt on underneath, but then I am worried I might be off by 1/3 inch.

Anyone had problems like this installing Givi kits?

Bert-Aus

Can you take a photo or provide a diagram of what you are referring too?

From memory doesn't the fender have the 'nuts' built into the structural out rigger?

csystems

Picture under fender where bolted on.

Here is an image of it.

Here is the piece that needs to attach (facing wrong way in pic I believe but not the issue for me).

The bolts are a 8 - 1.25 and the ones Givi provided are about a 1/4 inch longer then stock (which are coming through a little) but not enough to hold the bracket plus feed through another nut. Trying to find longer ones.

Thoughts or ideas welcome. Haven't heard back from Givi yet. Just want to get my luggage working :)

Frinksbonkers

Unbolt the original mudguard/numberplate holder from the bike, put the bracket in place and put back the mudguard and use the longer bolts to fasten it up

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Unbolt the original mudguard/numberplate holder from the bike, put the bracket in place and put back the mudguard and use the longer bolts to fasten it up
Second this!
If the bracket wont slip between, do away with the fender and replace with FE

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

csystems

OK so I am just a dummy. The bolts were long enough to replace the stock and go all the way through so the mounting plate could be attached. I was just impatient and didn't tighten them down all the way. Once I did that the rest bolted up nicely and I am now the proud owner of some Givi EasyLock bags. Now to get a top case :)

Thanks for answering. I think the FE would look good, but not sure it will improve the look with the top case blocking that are from view anyway.

Bert-Aus

OK so I am just a dummy. The bolts were long enough to replace the stock and go all the way through so the mounting plate could be attached. I was just impatient and didn't tighten them down all the way. Once I did that the rest bolted up nicely and I am now the proud owner of some Givi EasyLock bags. Now to get a top case :)
Don't worry, we have ALL made noob mistakes (I for one continue too regularly when impatient or rushed:eek:)

Thanks for answering. I think the FE would look good, but not sure it will improve the look with the top case blocking that are from view anyway.
1 thing to be wary of with running with panniers and an FE installed is that the indicators may be 'hidden' from view to others in adjacent lanes (other than directly behind you).

To circumvent this on my Xj6S I installed some adhesive LED strip indicators to the underside of the rear grab rail

To give you an idea of what I mean the images below show these on my rear grab rail with and with out my lights running
*the third image is post write-off accident shot from the rear -hence the offset geometry of everything

Attachments

pandyman

bert , how did you find the bike with the panniers on?

and did you source them in aus or import?

im considering getting a top box and hard case paniers to do some touring on the fz6r , although i havent deciding on which brand/system to get sw-motech or givi or maybe more local ventura

Bert-Aus

bert , how did you find the bike with the panniers on?

and did you source them in aus or import?

im considering getting a top box and hard case paniers to do some touring on the fz6r , although i havent deciding on which brand/system to get sw-motech or givi or maybe more local ventura
Having the panniers on made a slight difference in handling, but less than a pillion does. Cross/ head winds were slightly more noticeable, but nothing to be concerned about.

I sourced my Givi panniers from Motostorm in Italy, at the time they were the best price for supply & shipping anywhere. & they only took 6 days to get to me!
The racks I fabricated myself, copying from the actual Givi rack that had gone out of production.

As a comparison IMO the top case or Ventura style touring setups create slightly more drag than panniers, but again the difference is negligible.
The bonus with Ventura is the big bags fit tons more gear in them.
I currently have 90L of storage with my 2 Ventura bags on my SV1000S, where as my panniers were a total of 48L.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2