GIpro X-type Gear Indicator Custom Mounted

BoneJj

I placed my order for the $5 version a few days ago Ill review as soon as it comes in.
Shoot me a PM if you would please, as I tend to miss a lot of threads for some reason or another.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

rregal

Was the disassembly difficult?

How does the indicator stay in place? Was the disassembly difficult?
Currently my display is held in place by only friction. I’ve gone over some wicked bumps and it hasn’t budged a bit. I cut the template from a piece of white electrical tape to the same dimensions as the display ¾” width x 1” length so I could placed it on the dash where I thought it looked best and where I could also route the cable without interference. I scribed lines in the plastic with an exacto knife around the templates edge. Then drilled the holes close to the corners with a 1/16” drill bit and a 3/8 “ center hole to insert the blade of the hand saw. I then cut inside the scribed bountry lines leaving 1/32” extra material. Then I spent about an hour with three various files removing excess material to the lines checking the fit as I got close. If I had to it over again I would create a template for my spiral tool or a Dremel Tool or a hotwire. Anyway I think the plastic is too thick to cut with a knife
By the way here is the definition of engineers term press fit: Press Fit, also known as a interference fit or friction fit, is a fastening between two parts which is achieved by friction after the parts are pushed together.
The display’s height is ½” and comes with a form adhesive pad for a surface placement if you want to go that route.
Besides the two hours I spent making the hole I spent around 3 hours with the installation of the harness. I would say it was a notch harder than installing a fender eliminator mostly because the instructions are fair to poor and the connectors are hidden inside black plastic shrouds in two locations under the gas tank.
This product is supplied with a custom engineered harness for our Yamaha bike. You are really buying two GIpro products 1) a display and 2) harness. I would value the harness to be around $39.00 and the display around $100.00 thus the 139.00 total price.
I kept my computer on though out the installation checking forum posts and comparing them to the GIpro instructions which lacked images and which as one forum member pointed out in one of the posts was outright wrong (Its not the brown it’s the YELLOW one!). Anyway the instructions did have proper English syntax and in that respect better the Chinese ones from Harbor Freight Tools where I suspect they use a computer translator program.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

Boring night doing homework and lurking around here. Seems like no one is on and posting tonight. LOL!
Most other people have normal lives compared to those like you and me that get to do homework on a friday night vs going out and enjoying the company of friends.....

I'm working on calculus, how about yourself?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

I'm really good with numbers, but I hate structured math. I did reverse engineering of Satellite signals in Naval Intel which required some good math skills (most code breakers I worked with were Phd's in Mathematics). I have one math course left (Discrete Mathematics) which I've heard is a biotch. I've had a few algebra courses, but discrete math is one of those concepts that you either get or don't get. Some say it's easy, while others say its impossible. LOL
interesting degree path there.

I'm going towards Electrical engineering with a masters in biomed engineering. So I'm a little off the wall as well. I have to go through calc 3 and differential equations, so yeah, I'll be doing math for the next 2 years or so. That and physics and chemistry. that's pretty much all my degree is... lol.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

I love my degree path coming from nine years in Naval Intelligence. Not the same job per say, but the security aspect is there. The program is backed by the Dept of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency (NSA), whom I worked for previously. Basically my degree is a networking IT degree with a real strong foundation in security (hacking, cyber attacks and such). I love that kind of stuff.
sounds like some fun, and that's not sarcasm. I wouldn't mind knowing more about that kind of thing but my degree is more towards designing electronics for use in the human body.
So I wonder what happened to JT and his pics? LOL!:deadhorse:
he's holding out on us.... lol..