GIpro X-type Gear Indicator Custom Mounted

rregal

I just finished creating custom opening in the dash of my FZ6R to fit my GIpro X-type Gear Indicator. I used electrical tape to make a template and then drilled 4 small holes in the corners. I then cut out the opening with a hand jig saw the filed for a press fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

rregal

Is the GIpro Xtype indicator pretty accurate?

Looks good bro. So is the indicator pretty accurate? I was looking at that one a while ago and was wondering where I'd mount it.
In my opinion I think the GIpro is very accurate and quick. I wished I had this in my first 3000 miles of riding when the feedback would have been even more appreciated. After my initial ride two things about it stand out. I got the red display which is really bright maybe to much so. I kind of wish it was less bright or had the ability of being dimmed, maybe I should have opted for the blue. When I look at the dash it grabs my attention first and I have to make a conscience decision to move my focus on the other instruments. I may have to learn with more miles to scan past it. Second at full stop it displays a dash and not the number of the gear currently selected. As a beginner I remember trying to take off at a light in second when I thought I was in first. I soon learned to tap the shifter at a stop to assure I'm in first gear. I have witness other riders do this also. Lastly I think of it as an additional piece of safety equipment to justify the cost. Being a right brain rider there is no way I am going calculate what gear I'm in from the numerical revs and numerical speed. If my downshifting is interrupted by having to react or perform an avoidance maneuver I can with a quick glance be assured what gear the bike is in. In setting up for an aggressive turn I don't look at the dash I look at the visual speed and turn point. I do properly blurb the revs to downshift feeling and hearing engine mate with the wheel speed ready for the flick.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

I'm looking to buy this one. it's only $90.00 at motosport.com.

Datatool Digital Gear Indicator
http://fs7.motosport.com/is/image/Motosport/DTL-DATA-GR-IND_Main?$thumbnail$

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

mcjfauser

Seems awfully cheap. For that price might be worth the gamble.
I am willing to be the guinea pig for this one if people are interested in the alternatives. A very simple device made from very inexpensive materials, I think in some cases the price can be used to lead us into believing some things were forged from gold; quality insured.

EsrTek

I just finished creating custom opening in the dash of my FZ6R to fit my GIpro X-type Gear Indicator. I used electrical tape to make a template and then drilled 4 small holes in the corners. I then cut out the opening with a hand jig saw the filed for a press fit.
Thanks for info. decided to order me one of these too.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

GranTourer

How does the indicator stay in place? Was the disassembly difficult?

mcjfauser

yes, please update if you get this one from ebay. Before custom mounting hook it up and use double sided tape or something to hold to the dash to test it. If it works well I'm getting one as well. Might take a while to get since it's from China although my shorty levers made it here in under 2 weeks. Way ahead of schedule.
Just ordered it, so I'll update upon arrival and install.

BoneJj