getting back on after a fall

vengeance44

well im back on my bike after i had my little lowside it wasnt bad at all but now i find that i dont corner like i used to like im nervous it wouldnt hold up anyone else have this problem and how did they get over it im thinking about doing a mountain run once spring rolls around

DavidB455

Practice, you got backwards and forwards through the same area which you know you used to ride well and just keep working on it

Chevyfazer

Some people get over there fears different ways and that mountain run might be the best thing for you or it might just set you further back. I dont know how long you have been riding but I would suggest thinking back to when you first got on 2 wheels, and how you built confidence back then because what ever worked for you then will surely work now

JSP

Super Moderator
What caused the lowside? Pushing it too hard? Road conditions? Maybe its a wake up call to not take it so hard on the streets. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

SSgtBaarnes

I put mine down on 10 December and am experiencing the same phenomena. I also believe that the only way to get through the "spooked" feeling is to get on it and ride. I'm starting to lean again although not quite as deep as I used to before my wreck. Every day it gets easier and more comfortable, just have to keep pushing forward!

vengeance44

dec 10 huh mine was on dec 13 and the lowside was caused from wet road and cold tires was leaving a parking lot the funny thing was i wasnt even pushing the bike i was going nice and slow i just didnt have any traction

Bloke

Then there you go, you didn't give the tyres chance to warm up :) you identified the problem more just go out and don't do it again.

Just take corners more upright until your tyres come to temperature, avoid those slippery white lines and manhole covers, and accelerate gently.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

anson650

You said, Dec 13th and the tires were cold. I do not know where you live but up here in December the tires could have dropped in pressure from the cold. Also exits from parking lots are notorious for oil/grease spots. As far as getting over a spill, it takes lots of time and lots of riding. I had a few bad wrecks the worst one still bothers me at night. I ride at night now, for a while I didn't. I would just be home before dark and I never understood why. Then talking about it one afternoon I realized it was from a wreck I had on a pitch black West Virginia road that I thought went right and it went straight. Do what you have to do, ride and slow down.
Good Luck,
Anson

tinner265

i went down in august because someone wanted to slam on their brakes when noone was in front of them.. figured out i hit the front brake too hard, lost control of the bike and dumped it on its side.. was i nervous to get back on it, hell yea. But i told myself if i dont get on and ride ill never get passed it.. so one day at a time and a want to overcome it.. take your time get back on the saddle and conquer it!

Bigevildoer

Try going to a track riding school when the weather permits.
You'll learn an absolute ton about riding, and it's a perfect place to get your confidence back under the guidance of a professional instructor. Everyone's going the same direction, no oncoming left turning douchebags etc.

flyingminno

I did the same damn thing a couple years ago, except it was a highside. I got back on and had an hour long ride home at night with bent bar's and scraped legs. I felt really low and was looking where to start getting back into it safely while still being able to enjoy it. I replaced the bent bar's and that was luckily all the real damage, did all the maintenance on the bike like oil change and chain care, then got back on and started practicing the basics they taught in the riding class again.

Later I went over it in my head and realized it was stupid of me for pushing a cold bike on an even colder night down a road which sometimes has gravel from the edges. So I took it as a learning thing and went back out and into my favorite canyon road (GMR) and slowly settled back into listening to the bike almost.

As for parking lots in the wet, I always try to take my time and avoid painted surfaces, especially out here where we live, since the oil residue will be floating on a film of water.

DragonBlu

What caused the lowside? Pushing it too hard? Road conditions? Maybe its a wake up call to not take it so hard on the streets. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:
Spoken like a man that has learned that lesson Jay.:)

Get back on and don't over think it. Figure out what caused the spill and learn from it like Jay and myself. I have been down a few more times than most in 45 years of riding. All in the first five years. Some might say I had an aggresive style. (the police did) I would like to think I can ride pretty safe now because if you, "learn from your mistakes" I must be one smart bastard. :D

KeysRider3

Thanks to everyone who's shared their experience of the "Mortal Minute", and for the suggestions about how to respect it, but not fear it. Here in the Florida Keys it's all about coral sand, gravel, and avoiding tourists! My close encounter came at an uncontrolled intersection, and involved a beige minivan. I managed to avoid crashing by turning toward the rear of the van, and accelerating to a point behind the van. I've gone back to that intersection a couple dozen times now to figure out why I didn't see it, and how I can get in/out/through that intersection more safely. The #1 factor, for me, was I just needed to not be in such a hurry.

bobski

+1 to just take it easy and enjoy the ride!!!