gel seat

raybob

Has anyone bought the yamaha accessory gel seat? If so, how is it?

I can barely do 90 miles on my fz6r with the stock seat.

Bob

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

wtnotch

Jon pretty much hit the nail on the head. The more time you spend on it, the longer you can last. Also, the more you do use your legs to hang off (even just a little) while cornering keeps sore spots from developing since the pressure points are always changing.

With that said, I managed to get a Corbin seat off eBay for a good price. After riding with that, I'd be hard pressed to go back to the stock seat. Knowing what I know now, I'd gladly pay retail price for the seat. To me, it's that good. My 'vintage' butt appreciates the change.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

luv2ride

After putting over 5000 miles on my FZ6R last season, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Yamaha gel seat over the winter. Have to say...worth the money!!! Much more comfortable than the stock seat! Have ridden already about 500 miles on it and I find I haven't been shifting on the seat at all!!!...:)

dirklay

Seat comfort

Two thoughts: 1) after riding road and off road bicycles for 30 years, I know that more miles seem to make even those tiny seats more comfortable over time; and 2) wearing bicycle padded shorts under your jeans is a cheap stable way to make that time pass more quickly and provide relief on day one.

I added one of these to my seat. Pro Pad Polymer Gel Pad Inserts.

Pulled the staples and peeled back the leather. Then ground out a large portion that fit my butt nicely installed the new gel pad and extra foam (supplied in the kit), then re-stapled it back together. Was very happy with the end result. It removed any vibration and long distance trips don't bug me anymore.

Harda toenail

After putting over 5000 miles on my FZ6R last season, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Yamaha gel seat over the winter. Have to say...worth the money!!! Much more comfortable than the stock seat! Have ridden already about 500 miles on it and I find I haven't been shifting on the seat at all!!!...:)
The only answer to his question lol. Maybe check the FZ1 forum as they have a similar seat and more people have probably bought the gel seat.

A few threads:

Looking for Opinions on the Yamaha Gel Comfort Seat - FZ1OA Message Board

Yamaha Gel seat - FZ1OA Message Board

My thoughts on Yamaha gel seat and touring windshield. - FZ1OA Message Board

Also, consider modding your stock seat and installing your own gel pad. Really easy to unstaple and restaple the leather.

Nicolas

You're the first person I have read that has the yamaha gel seat and likes it. Everything I keep reading says its not worth the money.
Im the same boat as so many others looking into a better seat, but reluctant to just buy anything off the internet without knowing how it will fit.
The yamaha gel seat seems okay priced, and I can see it in person at my dealer, but as I said before - no one has said good things until you're post.

Noticed it getting too hot or too cold (specially in the winter) ?