gel seat?

scoobienorth

well i have adjusted everything on my bike, that i can, stiffened up the rear spring 1 click on the preload, raised my seat, rotated my bar clamps, rolled my bars ahead and adjusted the lever, now the bike is almost perfect only thing that gets me is my seat is a little to stiff for the longer rides i do. I find the bike really comfortable on the highway except the seat. the height is pretty good, maybe another half to 3/4 inch taller would be good, just tough on the bum after 240km without stopping.

streetmaster

Don't know about gel seats, but I swear by the Airhawk cushion.
Raises & cushions you & stops the 'hot butt' as well!
Feels a bit 'squishy' at first, but you soon get used to it.

sammy56

I agree regarding the Airhawk. I have had one for two years and I transfered it over the my FZ6R (bought this past March). Can't go wrong with it.

jotapeh

hey scoobienorth, you may find this site very interesting!

DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

I haven't done it to my own seat yet but it also affords you the opportunity to re-upholster with some sweet carbon-fibre style vinyl or otherwise! There is a company that does really awesome custom seat upholstery unfortunately I am having trouble finding them right now...

Pizz

I took my seat to my local upholstery shop and they put an inch of memory foam in it. Works perfect.

Call around your local area until you find the shop that does bike seats. My local guy does 100+ seats a year and does a great job.

SSgtBaarnes

I have ordered a Corbin seat for the same reasons you stated above. Overall the bike is comfortable but after about 45 minutes or so I find myself looking for a chance to get off the bike. Haven't received the Corbin seat as of yet, but I'll put something up when I do get it and some pics as well.

owldaddy

I have a gel pad inside a sheepskin cover that I tried yesterday. It sux! I have nothing positive to say about that pad, which is why it is back on a shelf in the garage. It was hard, squirmy, feels less connected to the bike, and you are not able to move around on the seat as easily in the twisties. I originally bought it for my BMW, it sucked on that bike as well. I ended up buying a Sergent saddle for that bike, which worked out well. After reading the DIY motorcycle seat web site jotapeh linked to, I can see we are in big trouble with the 6R. Not that it can't be improved upon, but that the shape is all wrong, and if you really want a comfortable seat, your going to have to make many changes to the stock seat. Thanks for the link jotapeh, I learned something new today. I guess I will stick with my original plan, use the 6R for short trips, use the BMW for rides over 2 hours long. My butt can't take the stock seat for long.

scoobienorth

those are some good ideas, i have a trip coming up and i am stuck on the stock seat, gonna be 1000 km each way, as for local upholstery shop i dont think i have any within 4 hours ride time. EDIT i am expecting 2500km or 1550miles in 6 days, 2 days traveling down, 2 back up and staying for 2 days at my location.

Last edited:

jotapeh

Thanks for the link jotapeh, I learned something new today. I guess I will stick with my original plan, use the 6R for short trips, use the BMW for rides over 2 hours long. My butt can't take the stock seat for long.
Anytime :thumbup:

I don't think our seat is that bad, but it could definitely use quite a bit of help. I might even try to mod it this weekend and perhaps post about it. The day is young!

Alex6

The only time I noticed the butt was begging for a rest was during the day trip when the temps were +90s. Some ppl recommend a pair of the bicycle shorts.

Kayo7

I've been looking to buy the FZ6R comfort seat listed on Yamaha's website. It seems like everyone on here gets gel pads or custom seats. Any input on the Yamaha one though?

I don't want anything that looks too bulky or that slides around. My bike is just barely short enough to feel comfortable stopping and what not, so I defiantly don't want to add any height on the seat.

The only review I found says that the comfort seat is not much of an improvement. The stock seat isn't too bad, but on rides over 100 miles it gets a little uncomfortable.
I just got Yamaha's Comfort Seat, it is a little improvement, but I haven't gotten a chance to take it more than about 50 miles in a day on it yet.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

latony007

corbin seat

Isnt the corbin a one piece seat? that eliminate the access to the "micro storage area"? as well as the helmet lock which I use a lot.

thnaks

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member