gearing change

stuna

i changed the gearing . stock 2.875, now 16/44 = 2.75. works very well , i can run at 20mph in hi gear . and i got over 49 mpg , with some 2up riding . i am going to use 17/44 next at 2.7 ratio

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
i changed the gearing . stock 2.875, now 16/44 = 2.75. works very well , i can run at 20mph in hi gear . and i got over 49 mpg , with some 2up riding . i am going to use 17/44 next at 2.7 ratio
How are you changing the gearing? Are you playing with the teeth on the sprockets?

cbzdel

can you explain what you are talking about?? i am new to the sprockets and gearing on a bike, sounds like you changed the sprockets to reduce you acceleration, yet giving you a slightly higher top end and lowering your RPM at cruising speed..

Correct??

If so whats your RPM at 60mph now?? And where did you get the parts from??

JSP

Super Moderator
yes, changing the size of the sprockets, front or back will change the gearing. It affects the rpm you are in at speeds.

Much like on my old Rebel, I went from a 14 tooth front sprocket in the front to a 15 tooth sprocket. This lowered the rpms. So instead of being at 6500 rpm at 5th gear, it lowered it to about 6k. Not much, but its very noticeable. If you lower it too much, its like taking off in second gear when you start in first. So you must be careful when doing it. You can burn up your clutch if its too severe.

You can also lower rpm by going to a smaller tooth in the back.

Or you can do the opposite, and raise the rpm. This will let you take off and have much better acceleration but you will be at a higher rpm than normal when cruising down the highway.

cbzdel

JSP

Super Moderator
Make very sure you have enough room with the larger front sprocket with the chain on it. You dont want to be digging into the engine case. If you do this and it fits just barely (like on my rebel) you need to be extra careful to keep an eye on your chain slack. Too much slack and the chain can contact the engine.

Sprockets are pretty cheap, so if anyone experiments and doesnt like it, its no big loss and very easy to switch back out. Aluminum sprockets will wear faster than steel sprockets. Its recommended if you do proper chain maintenance to change the sprocket on every other chain change if its steel. Aluminum is recommended to change with each chain change, so that will add to some of the cost down the road.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Also, along with excess clutch wear if you go to low... you dont want to be lugging the engine either. That will cause engine damage on top of clutch wear.

cbzdel

I would love to lower my cruising speed RPM because my bike is a daily commuter.. But at the same time on the rare occasion I open it up I max out what I already have and would hate to be any slower.. Maybe I need to get (2) different sprockets, one for commuting and another for the weekend warrior in me :thumbup:

angelsneverlose

I would love to lower my cruising speed RPM because my bike is a daily commuter.. But at the same time on the rare occasion I open it up I max out what I already have and would hate to be any slower.. Maybe I need to get (2) different sprockets, one for commuting and another for the weekend warrior in me :thumbup:
or change it to the slower one, but ADD exhaust and power commander to make up the differnce or more;)

Senaca

People, I'm pretty sure he changed it to increase his revs, since he is saying he can now use 6th gear at 20mph. Going for increased acceleration are we? ;)

stuna

i put on t tweeked 44t rear sprocket on it [ came off my drz400s ] it lowers the rpms down but works very well . just got 52mpg :D
it just has the power to pull this set up . thats why i got this bike insted of a fz6 that was a 1000 bucks less . at 4999

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
People, I'm pretty sure he changed it to increase his revs, since he is saying he can now use 6th gear at 20mph. Going for increased acceleration are we? ;)
Lower ;) A larger front will lower the RPMs. At least he said he wanted to go from a 16 to a 17, which will lower them.

cbzdel

Whats your RPM at 60 stuna?

stuna

it lowered it a few hundered rpm . but at 17/46 your speedo woul be perty accurate . stock my was off about 8% hi i think 17/46 is a 6% drop in rpms . so speedo is off 2 %

cbzdel

are most sporckets the same?? or was it just luck that a Suzuki sprocket fit the FZ6R??

I think I am gonna order myself the 17 front sprocket...

stuna

rear spockets will be available soon at sprocket specailtist 1-800-782-8200
i talked to them ,no other bkie spockets fit this thing . they said they may have then on 8-28-09 . i will be going to a 43t
so far i have gotten 49-52-and yesterday 53 mpg :D.

Senaca

it lowered it a few hundered rpm . but at 17/46 your speedo woul be perty accurate . stock my was off about 8% hi i think 17/46 is a 6% drop in rpms . so speedo is off 2 %
I always understood that the speedo was read from the front wheel. Are you sure it's taken from the transmission? I didn't think that changing sprockets affected your speedo for this reason.

Easy was to tell is to rotate the back wheel while it's up on a stand. I'm still waiting to get a stand... :eek:

stuna

welcom to the modern world, my 1800 goldwing is the same. i put in a speedo corrector on the wing . i think it was called a speedohealer :confused:

cbzdel

I always understood that the speedo was read from the front wheel. Are you sure it's taken from the transmission? I didn't think that changing sprockets affected your speedo for this reason.

Easy was to tell is to rotate the back wheel while it's up on a stand. I'm still waiting to get a stand... :eek:
bike speed is taken somewhere in the rear.. now sure at one point buit I had my bike at 100+ on a rear stand.. (i was testing for a certain sound I was hearing)

JSP

Super Moderator
bike speed is taken somewhere in the rear.. now sure at one point buit I had my bike at 100+ on a rear stand.. (i was testing for a certain sound I was hearing)
But that still wouldn't affect the speedo would it? The speed is measured by the rotation of the rear wheel and not the sprocket correct? So the only thing that is changing is the RPM at any given speed. Your speed should still be the same.