Gas

Billy Ho

What type of gas do you run threw your bike? I run mid grade no ethanol. Just curious if the bike runs better on a different type on gas or not. thanks

Sandro

I have run both the regular and supreme, I did not notice any sort of difference. I still run the premium through it because it makes me feel a little better. although the manual calls for regular so maybe im actually harming it in some way lol.

What type of gas do you run threw your bike? I run mid grade no ethanol. Just curious if the bike runs better on a different type on gas or not. thanks
Where I live, there is no difference in where you go as far as quality in gas goes. There is one major refinery that provides almost all the gas needed for where I live and they set aside gasoline for each company to add their own detergents. I prefer Shell V-Power 93 octane with it's nitrogen detergent but sometimes fill my tank with BP fuel since these two are the closest cheap gas stations to where i live.

latony007

oh no, not the 87 vs 91 argument again :D
lots of threads on this. I run 91, why? Because as a general rule (but not always) more cost equals better product and since i only ride it on the weekends the extra $2 to fill up doesn't bother me. I have heard stuff about 87 burning better but since the opinions seem about 50/50 i decided to go with 91, no problems to speak of in 5000 miles on this one and 5000 miles on my cruiser.

Slick

I generally run the highest octane I can get, and am lucky enough at times to get ethanol free gas. I find that I still average about 50mpg, unless my enthusiasm kicks in, then it is down to 47mpg. Seems not to matter too much to the bike, but I feel better about it. And the cost difference on three gallons isn't much, though I have run into some $4.30+/gal for premium ethanol free. These places are usually back in the woods, where the twisties are, and not a lot of traffic.

I generally run the highest octane I can get, and am lucky enough at times to get ethanol free gas. I find that I still average about 50mpg, unless my enthusiasm kicks in, then it is down to 47mpg. Seems not to matter too much to the bike, but I feel better about it. And the cost difference on three gallons isn't much, though I have run into some $4.30+/gal for premium ethanol free. These places are usually back in the woods, where the twisties are, and not a lot of traffic.
I would totally shell out the extra cash just to have ethanol free. Keeps the cost down for later down the road maintenance that the ethanol damages.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

Whatever station, wherever at, the cheapest they've got. The recommended fuel in the manual is "unleaded" (page 9-1). I run some injector cleaner occasionally and when she sat for so long because I needed a tire, I ran a tank of high-test. Just because.

On my previous carburated bikes, I noticed a difference between different types of fuel. Not so much on the 6R.

There are many (some good) arguments concerning octane rating, ethanol percentage and such. I honestly consider them to be more of an academic exercise than anything else.

She seems a little more "peppy" with high test. The possible horrors of ethanol are well documented, but I haven't experienced anything.

As far as the 6R is concerned, it seems like run what you happy, keep on the maintenance, and she'll be happy, too.
i dont think there is anything wrong with your theory. I think i put in 91 more because as my brother likes to say i have champagne test on a beer budget :)

Now since i am in California i assume there are no gas options. We regulate the crap out of that stuff and as far as i know there is either no ethanol in it or there is no options to get away from it? Anyone in CA confirm that

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

latony007

California Air Resources Board (CARB) thinks you have ethanol in your gasoline - about 10% back in June of 2010. If you want gas without ethanol from someplace other than the track, check this web site out.
Good Info Milton. meaning its not really 10%? this is a small list of 14 gas stations for california which according to one site has about 12,000. Apparently we need to move to alaska, all ethenol free there it says.

buzzbomb

Elite Member