gas up

Lonelyrider

this is a newbie question... I just got my FZ6R as my first bike not too long ago, I have only refueled it for about 3 times. Everytime I filled up, the gas gauge will drop 1 natch from Full mark when I start riding? how can you tell if your tank is full? I always stop when the nozzle jumped and I don't want to keep adding fuel untill it spills out on my bike~ please help!

rubicon1000

u have to put more gas in the tank, what happens is when u fill up the bike an airpocket will form on the sides of the tank and cause the lvl to rise fast and make the nozzle turn off u have to let the lvl settle a bit then fill up more untill it comes very close to the top

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

I've noticed that it helps by sitting on your bike and lifting it up off the kickstand. Straighting the bike out. I can usually put .5-almost another gallon in after the pump clicks.

Lonelyrider

can you see the gas inside tank through the filler hole? I tried that, but nozzle was in the way?

I thought we are not suppose to sit on motorcycle while fueling?

JSP

Super Moderator
Like stated above, you should not put the filler into the hole. I kind of lay it at an angle just on the lip of the opening and "SLOWLY" squeeze the handle to where you can see the gas come up. Once it reaches the bottom of the filler neck, you stop. I believe it is recommended to do it on the side stand.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I fill my tank up until it reaches the bottom of the metal "screen" and then I add a little more so that it slightly rises above it. Then, I tilt the bike upright and let everything get settled. The gas fills in where the air pocket was and the level goes down below the metal screen and I have a full tank.

You should NEVER fill your bike while sitting on it. What happens if a fire starts? Or the nozzle malfunctions and doesn't shut off? Or a car enters the lot out of control and coming straight for you? Then you have to take time to get off the bike carefully so you don't dump it, all while spraying gas everywhere or trying to keep the flames from engulfing you or while trying to avoid being crushed. Sitting on the bike is a very BAD idea. If you want to fill the bike upright, get a center stand, but don't sit on it. :rant:

bmw675

i fill mine until it just surpasses the bottom of the screen. also on its side stand.
but i have never got more than 2.5 gallons in on a fill up, peranoid on the small tank still.

fz6rwolf

Yep, side stand, nozzle just inside and watch to get just above screen = full enough.

flyingminno

The most I've put was 4 gallons flat. As far as filling on side stand or while sitting, I always fill it while on the side stand. For me, it's just more comfortable and controllable holding the nozzle while standing. I usually fill it to just above the screen so it's at the right level when I straighten it out.

Chip

I fill my tank up until it reaches the bottom of the metal "screen" and then I add a little more so that it slightly rises above it. Then, I tilt the bike upright and let everything get settled. The gas fills in where the air pocket was and the level goes down below the metal screen and I have a full tank.

You should NEVER fill your bike while sitting on it. What happens if a fire starts? Or the nozzle malfunctions and doesn't shut off? Or a car enters the lot out of control and coming straight for you? Then you have to take time to get off the bike carefully so you don't dump it, all while spraying gas everywhere or trying to keep the flames from engulfing you or while trying to avoid being crushed. Sitting on the bike is a very BAD idea. If you want to fill the bike upright, get a center stand, but don't sit on it. :rant:
Thanks for that tip! I am a newcomer as well, but I always stay on the bike to fill it up. In NJ, you're not allowed to fill it yourself (usually, the guy just hands me the nozzle though). I usually just sit on the bike and kind of angle the thing in and try to fill it up.

On another note, what happens if you spill a little on the gas tank? I just got some paper towels and wiped it off. Anything else I should do?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just try to get all of it wiped off. It wouldn't hurt to wipe it with some soapy water as soon as you can. But it's not a huge deal as long as it doesn't sit on the painted areas for very long.

I usually grab a towel before I start, that way I can cup the end of the nozzle just in case it drips as I pull it away. (That sounds awfully dirty and erotic!) :eek:

gearhead

LOL. Yes, it did.