FZ8/Phazer

mtucker

Just wondering what the power is going to be like on these things, will it be a significant increase from our 6r's? I think our bike has around 70HP? Correct me if I'm wrong, does anyone know what the fz8 will have? I've been poking around the Yamaha website and I like the bike and I like the comfort of my 6r. If the power was about the same as a 600 supersport this could be my new bike for 2011!

streetmaster

Why not go straight to the FZ1?:D
Power may be similar to a 600 Supersport, but the delivery would be different, not as 'peaky'.

ry-mac75

It is a significant jump - here's what was in the press release...

Both new models use a similar frame to the FZ1. The Fazer8 and FZ8 use a 779cc engine with the same stroke but a smaller bore than the FZ1’s 998cc engine. The result, according to Yamaha, is a maximum power output of 104.7 hp at 10,000 rpm and maximum torque of 60.5 ft-lb. at 8,000 rpm.

Yamaha says the FZ8 has a wet weight of 465 lb. while the Fazer8 tips the scales at 474 lb. Both models are available with ABS which adds another 11 lb.

It weighs pretty much the same as the 6R, but with almost 40 more ponies. That's a lot more giddy up.

Spunky99

It is a significant jump - here's what was in the press release...

Both new models use a similar frame to the FZ1. The Fazer8 and FZ8 use a 779cc engine with the same stroke but a smaller bore than the FZ1’s 998cc engine. The result, according to Yamaha, is a maximum power output of 104.7 hp at 10,000 rpm and maximum torque of 60.5 ft-lb. at 8,000 rpm.

Yamaha says the FZ8 has a wet weight of 465 lb. while the Fazer8 tips the scales at 474 lb. Both models are available with ABS which adds another 11 lb.

It weighs pretty much the same as the 6R, but with almost 40 more ponies. That's a lot more giddy up.
Yeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwww

Ya that is a big difference in power.....

calltrex

its nothing special. dont get your hopes up. i rode it 4 days ago.

not that much more juice and a harder seat for you to sit on.

just go for a FZ1 if u want more power

ry-mac75

Hey - where was the demo ride?

ry-mac75

Hmmmmmmmm... don't think I'll be out that way today... hahaha

Superfly

its nothing special. dont get your hopes up. i rode it 4 days ago.

not that much more juice and a harder seat for you to sit on.

just go for a FZ1 if u want more power
Rode both the FZ8 and the Fazer today at the Bikers Reunion in New Liskerd ON. Both feel the same around town but at highway speeds I liked the windshield and half fairing better on the Fazer.

I guess I was expecting a big boost in power but it didnt really seem like that at all. Maybe slightly harder in 2nd gear although I really couldnt wind it out to 10000 cause I was in a group ride but I hit full throttle a few times and it pulled a bit harder but the bike itself felt heavier to me and the gearing was way higher than the fz6r. I run my 6r in 6th all the time...i mean constantly any time after like 70km/hr its into 6th and i dont find that an issue...but on the FZ8 I tried to get to 6th and forget it...even at 100km/hr it dropped the rpm so low the engine just bogged out. I think at 100km/hr the engine was around 4500rpm? something like that. So i pretty much rode around in 2nd or 3rd. I'm never in 1st on my FZ6 for more than a couple secs but on the 8 i was in it for mins at a time...

The seat is hard and tilted forward which really isnt smart as you are constantly trying to push your a$$ backwards. And i felt really high on the bike...but not alot more leg room...and my legs didnt fit the tank as well either. The exhaust pipe looks good till you ride it and your right heel is contantly touching it...I ride with the balls of my feet mostly and thats not going to work well for you with the pipe right there...you have to hold your heel up or its touching...i like my hidden exhaust more and more...

The ride was definetly stiffer and I dont know what the rear was set too but it was prob to hard for me as I was jumping on it and it wasnt moving much. the front was stiffer and beefier and I think I liked that alot. Front felt planted in the corners...all in all a pretty nice handling bike...

If I had the choice at the time I bought my 6 I'm not sure I would have coughed up the money for the Fazer (the one I like the best with the fairing)...I might have...but now that I own the 6R I wont be trading up to the Fazer.

It shows to me that the FZ6R really is an awesome bang for the buck...

pyrocpu

Great write-up!

Note: all text below is purely an opinion of one! YMMV; different bikes pull at different peoples' heart strings! :)

Granted, I'm going through significant post-purchase affirmation :), but I just have super difficulty in getting excited over a Japanese naked bike. They just seem to lack character, aesthetically. I had been seriously looking at the Suzuki Gladius, but let's face it, it's a Japanese copy of the Ducati Monster. Other than that... FZ6, FZ8, FZ1... SV650... ER6n gets closer, but didn't like anything about that bike.

Even if one were to hypothetically price the FZ8 at USD$8500 (not doing the CAD --> USD conversion since the exchange rates kinda distort "reality"), I'd take my money to my Triumph dealer and snap up a Street Triple. Much more soul, much more character, aesthetically. Of course, I'd still have to ride one to make a true assessment, but I'm afraid I'd trade-in the FZ6R for a Street Triple!!

Stricken

Great write-up!

Note: all text below is purely an opinion of one! YMMV; different bikes pull at different peoples' heart strings! :)

Granted, I'm going through significant post-purchase affirmation :), but I just have super difficulty in getting excited over a Japanese naked bike. They just seem to lack character, aesthetically. I had been seriously looking at the Suzuki Gladius, but let's face it, it's a Japanese copy of the Ducati Monster. Other than that... FZ6, FZ8, FZ1... SV650... ER6n gets closer, but didn't like anything about that bike.

Even if one were to hypothetically price the FZ8 at USD$8500 (not doing the CAD --> USD conversion since the exchange rates kinda distort "reality"), I'd take my money to my Triumph dealer and snap up a Street Triple. Much more soul, much more character, aesthetically. Of course, I'd still have to ride one to make a true assessment, but I'm afraid I'd trade-in the FZ6R for a Street Triple!!
Dude if the gladius is anything like the SV650 that I just recently bought, you will not be disappointed! It has so much torque under 5k and much lighter than my FZ6R.