fz6r vs gsx650f

swift82

So im looking at getting a new bike ive had an kz550 and a zx11.and these to are the ones im looking at.. Just would like some in put from differnt people . I have road both bikes the yamaha and suzuki . And im 6'2 and the one thing i did notice is the the windscreen on the fz was very small and the wind it me in the chest and at 75-80 mph it is a big pain.. thanks for all the info every one ..

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

swift82

So yeah when i took the two bikes out in the same day,the road the suzki first then the yam. And yeah the gsx is alot heaver the the fz it felt more lime my zx11 i had. So im looking for a good all around bike ,i dont need to go 150 ,but would like to have fun on the way to work its a 30 mile ride and i go throw the county roads so there is twistys.and i do some two up with the wife and go on day trips . Im just wandering how many peoe are over 6ft and love the fz?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Dustin600

My previous bike was a 2008 GSX650F. I put about 20,000 miles on it. I now have a 2011 FZ6R with 21,000 miles on it. My feelings are that the two bikes are pretty much the same. The FZ6R has about 10Hp less than the GSX650F and I felt like I did notice that when I started riding it. But the FZ6R weighs about 80lbs less making it a more nimble bike, especially in the corners.

The GSX650F was noticeably more top heavy. I do feel like it was more comfortable to ride on the highway though. One of my favorite features was the gear indicator on the gauge cluster. A big down fall of that bike at the time I owned it, was aftermarket parts for it were hard to find and more expensive.

One big difference between the two is the exhaust. You can get a slip on for the GSX650F. You can only get full exhausts for the FZ6R or modify the stock one. The Suzuki muffler is farther back on the bike compared to the Yamaha which is right under your foot. To me riding the Suzuki was a little more comfortable because the exhaust noise didn't seem as loud.

I hope this helps. If you have any other specific questions, let me know. I may be able to answer them.

Reactions: JT

EsrTek

Have you considered the CBR F4i ..it's about same class w/ a bit more SS feel than the other 2 listed. I personally would've got one if I could've found it.

Dustin600

For some reason, I remember the GSX650F being a little more comfortable. I really do like both bikes. Both have pros and cons. The differences in the two bikes arn't that noticeable to say one is better that the other. I am 5'10". On the FZ6R I was flat footed with no modification. To be flat footed on the GSX650F I had to lower it an inch.

I never considered the F4i. I believe the riding position isn't as upright as the Suzuki or Yamaha.

swift82

Can you really tell the differnts in power from the two? The one thing that i didnt like was the at 75-80 i got hit with a lot of wind in the chest with the yamaha .and not the gsx. I was hopping a good windscreen would fix that. And when i road those two back to back it felt lkke the yamaha was smother ? I wish that the ones i road were both stock .the yamaha had an m4 exhaust and powee comander and the gsx was stock.the other thing i noted was there was a flat spot just as i was to take of withe gsx....

Dustin600

I do remember noticing a slight difference. It was when I was going up hill on the highway in sixth gear. I just felt like the Suzuki pulled a little harder. It was minor, but noticeable to me.

I'm not in a position right now to upload pictures but if you google search images, you can find dyno charts for both bikes and see what I may have been feeling.

Dustin600

For you, choosing between the two may just come down to personal preference because the two bikes are so similar. Maybe the deal breaker could be finding one at a good price. I still see brand new leftover models of the Suzuki sitting around at various dealers with the prices cut. I don't think the GSX650F caught on like the FZ6R did. The same is true for the Suzuki GSX1250FA. If power is your concern, there could be the answer too. Nearly the same bike as the 650 but with 100HP. (That's 25 more)

VRIIClubby

I'm 6'3" and 112kg's (246 pounds) and its pretty good!

Yes, the wind is a PITA @ higher speeds, but I'll be getting a higher bubble screen shortly to alleviate any of those issues for the longer rides, my daily commute it doesnt even come in to play (only 5 minute ride).

keep in mind, my experience is from 7 days only...I should get her back end of this week ;)

2wheelie

To me the FZ has more looks in term of design (like Chevrolet vs. Alfa Romeo :)) Just MO.
I use it for all around. 46k miles now. Travel 2up w/language (about 300+ lb) is not a big deal. Does everything fine. Although lately it's feels light and on the border when approaching 100 mp/h.
I like Fz's narrow tank which helps to steer with knees. Didn't ride the gsx and maybe extra 10 hp would be a little more help, but considering more weight, I guess it levels out. Maybe you can ride them again and have another view, but it all comes to how you feel on the bike. How nimble it feels to YOU cas bikes are much more individual than cars.
Oh, and the name sounds more elegant :).