fz6r to xj6

Shake

I was looking at some pics of the xj6 and I really like the look of the bike without all the fairings. I like it with the fairings also but it got me thinking. If I wanted to convert my fz6r to look like the xj6 would it be as easy as ordering the side pieces for the xj6 and swapping the fairings out or is there more to it that I am missing?

Has anyone attempted this?

I tried to search for any info but couldnt really find anything. If anyone has any links to related threads or input on this subject I would apreciate it.

Superzoom

Check out the "Streetfighter" section of this forum. One or two short threads on the subject. Unfortunately, the gist is the parts from Europe would be hard to get. I suspect you might do well making a true street fighter, and stripping the bodywork and going from there. The stock headlight actually looks pretty good naked.

yamanube

I was originally going to try and get the needed Euro parts from the UK and convert my bike but eventually gave up trying to contact and converse with UK dealers, digging through exploded diagrams to figure out what parts I needed and then spending a pile of cash to get it over here. From what I can tell everything is bolt on if you do get all the correct euro parts.

Detrich

What about just getting the FZ8 :)

Shake

nah. I just got my 6R, I dont want to go buy another bike. I was just curious about the xj6 parts...but is sounds like it's gonna be a no go for now. I did some searching online to see if I could find any suppliers that might have the xj6 parts with no luck :( oh wells. It's not like my 6r is an eye sore or anything. Just thought is would be unique to have the xj6 parts on my U.S bike.

Edd

It seems that their complex naming system across the world is biting us again... I think I've got it sorted, if anyone could correct or confirm the below, I'd be grateful:

USA:

FZ6R - Fully faired

UK:

XJ6 (sometimes referred to as XJ6N) - Naked
XJ6 Diversion - Half Faired

Aus:

XJ6N - Naked
XJ6S - Half Faired

I've got a good contact with a UK dealer if anyone wants help sourcing XJ6N (or Diversion) parts for sending to the USA...

Edd

There's a post somewhere back in the day where the mounting supports have been examined... I think it turned out that they didn't fit...

The Spin Doctor

I thought that might be the case... I did find some pics of a US model with the seat off and it did look very different under the seat. Much tidier, the UK model looks very unfinished under there.

The Spin Doctor

Top Man!

I'll have a read through that and see if it could be done, it looks possible after a cursory scan.

With Yamaha sales as dire as they are in the UK at the moment (they put their prices up around 20% across the board at the beginning of 09 and sales have taken a corresponding nosedive), it beggars belief that they can actually have two totally different seat configurations on what is supposed to be a budget bike.

After all, it doesn't matter which side of the Atlantic we are, we both have to sit on the bike to ride it!

The Spin Doctor

It seems that their complex naming system across the world is biting us again... I think I've got it sorted, if anyone could correct or confirm the below, I'd be grateful:

USA:

FZ6R - Fully faired

UK:

XJ6 (sometimes referred to as XJ6N) - Naked
XJ6 Diversion - Half Faired

Aus:

XJ6N - Naked
XJ6S - Half Faired

I've got a good contact with a UK dealer if anyone wants help sourcing XJ6N (or Diversion) parts for sending to the USA...
Add this one too - new for 2010!

UK

XJ6 Diversion F - fully faired

dcBear78

Add this one too - new for 2010!

UK

XJ6 Diversion F - fully faired
To confuse this matter a little further....

In Australia we have both the FZ6R and XJ6F.... Well they are the same bike. Fairing and stickers say FZ6R but registration and insurance says XJ6F. Reason being the bikes were intended for sale as XJ6F and received learner bike compliance in this name, but when the first shipment arrived they had the US spec naming. Yamaha Australia decided it was cheaper to change the marketing than deal with the red tape in changing the compliance.

At the time of the launch of this bike earlier in the year we also had stock of the FZ6S/N bikes. While the name may suggest it is related to the FZ6R it isn't as it come from the XJ6 series of bikes.

Gotta love it huh?

MrZachTD

I was wondering if I could get a few pictures of a successful fz6r conversion to an xj6. Very interested in doing this conversion, but I have not seen any pictures of it and I can't seem to find any. If I am mistaken please link me to some pictures!

ksgoh88

Bert-Aus

Surely a succesful conversion looks just like a XJ6?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Plev72

Converting Euro XJ6F to US FZ6R

I'm thinking about bringing my 2010 XJ6F back to the States - as I don't be able to sell it in Europe. Can't register it in the US. Only legal option, as near as I can tell, is to by a US frame and move everything over. Is this feasible? Thanks