FZ6R the right bike for me?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

thinblueline413

Hey New2

Everyone has posted a lot of good info and having personal experience on several bikes including the bikes you've mentioned, I just wanted to give you my opinion. I love the 6r. It is very comfortable and does have enough power to have fun and will help you get use to the sport style of riding. It's not as aggressive and powerful as a super sport but you can still enjoy it. The bottom and mid end power is great on this bike especially if you want to commute through town. Compared to the ninja 250, which I have owned, the 6r was much better for more personally. I was more comfortable and the 6r handled better. I'm a bigger guy so that might have had something to do with it. Personally I think you would enjoy the 6r but like others have said its riders comfort and what the individual rider likes and maybe you should test ride one.

@scott
Yeah those cars are not common here either but we did clock a Lamborghini at 168 mph once on radar lol

new2yam

Hey New2

Everyone has posted a lot of good info and having personal experience on several bikes including the bikes you've mentioned, I just wanted to give you my opinion. I love the 6r. It is very comfortable and does have enough power to have fun and will help you get use to the sport style of riding. It's not as aggressive and powerful as a super sport but you can still enjoy it. The bottom and mid end power is great on this bike especially if you want to commute through town. Compared to the ninja 250, which I have owned, the 6r was much better for more personally. I was more comfortable and the 6r handled better. I'm a bigger guy so that might have had something to do with it. Personally I think you would enjoy the 6r but like others have said its riders comfort and what the individual rider likes and maybe you should test ride one.
Thanks thinblue - I'm working on getting a test ride. Your point about the comfort is spot on. I'm 6'4... I've surprisingly gotten used to my Ninja (the 250 allows more of an upright position). The first bike I jumped on in my last visit to the store was an R6 and just getting into riding position just about threw my back out. The 6R felt like a couch in comparison... Another point worth mentioning is that I ride all year round and I know a Gixxer would have a hard time with it. We don't get an awful lot of snow or ice but Seattle loves its rain.....

Last edited:

new2yam

latony007 said:
This bike will do about 130 vs. I think about 90 for the 250
I've done 110. No joke about maxing out my bikes. :p

latony007

super sports

im sure the super sports are fun, for an hour or so. But I do not want to lay down on the tank to grab 6" handle bars and throw my back out. I think the fz6r gives a great combination of sport bike and a kind of standard riding position. The Ninja 650 was similar and nice too, but i liked the smoothness of the in line 4 vs. the Vtwin and its a little less bumpy. Im short so the bars were killing my hands when I first got it but I bought risers and that seemed to do the trick.

thinblueline413

Thanks thinblue - I'm working on getting a test ride. Your point about the comfort is spot on. I'm 6'4... I've surprisingly gotten used to my Ninja (the 250 allows more of an upright position). The first bike I jumped on in my last visit to the store was an R6 and just getting into riding position just about threw my back out. The 6R felt like a couch in comparison... Another point worth mentioning is that I ride all year round and I know a Gixxer would have a hard time with it. We don't get an awful lot of snow or ice but Seattle loves its rain.....
Anytime, glad to help
I'm 6'2 and really comfortable on the 6r. The ss are not as comfortable for some people but I love getting them out and for short (2-3 hour) rides and have a lil fun or hitting the track. But for trips I prefer my 6r. The ninja 650 is a good bike but I love the inline 4 of the 6r and personally I thought the ninja wasn't as smooth of a ride. Normally we don't get a lot of rain but here lately we have been covered. One of my riding buddies ask me the other day if we had moved to Seattle lol

arse

Personally, I needed more power. I was on the freeway all the time when I owned mine. Great bike though.

new2yam

Personally, I needed more power. I was on the freeway all the time when I owned mine. Great bike though.
Is that a vote for a Gixxer?

arse

arse

I did own a cbr1000rr for a short while before deciding It was unnessecary.

latony007

test rides

the biggest problem with buying a bike is the test ride, or lack there of. Most places, especially here in CA wont let you test ride anything new, unless you commit to it first. If you do get to take a bike for a 3 mile test ride you will learn a lot about acceleration and other things, but long term comfort and other issues you will never know until you are on one for a week. if you have time and money I would try and rent one. There are a few places here that have a selection you can rent but usually not the one you want lol

new2yam

I managed to find a dealer that supposedly offers test rides on new and used bikes. Hoping to head there this week - fingers crossed...

alishas

I managed to find a dealer that supposedly offers test rides on new and used bikes. Hoping to head there this week - fingers crossed...
If your looking in this class I would honestly direct you to either an SV650 (or Gladius) or 650 Ninja. Power on those bikes are just a bit more along with weights of a bit less. The 650 Ninja has a similar riding position while the SV650 I believe is a little more aggressive.

Here is a great site for finding the riding position

Motorcycle Ergonomics

While if you search for power curves, it's pretty easy to find online. Suspension can be a factor as well as I passed up a Gladius because my test drive was overly soft suspension.

new2yam

If your looking in this class I would honestly direct you to either an SV650 (or Gladius) or 650 Ninja. Power on those bikes are just a bit more along with weights of a bit less. The 650 Ninja has a similar riding position while the SV650 I believe is a little more aggressive.

Here is a great site for finding the riding position

Motorcycle Ergonomics

While if you search for power curves, it's pretty easy to find online. Suspension can be a factor as well as I passed up a Gladius because my test drive was overly soft suspension.
Thanks, alishas. The Ninja 650 was something I seriously considered. I figured it was the perfect step up for me seeing as I already have the 250. However, it was a little horrifying to see just how ugly it is in person. I also realized (aesthetically), it wasn't the step up from my bike - that would be the 636... The SV650 sounds nice spec-wise, but I don't care for its design either. Hopefully my upcoming test rides will give me a little more clarity.

linkgt

The Fz6r is a great bike to get into if your new to the sport scene. If you can find a leftover FZ6, even better. Has a lot more horsepower if thats what you're going for.