FZ6R the right bike for me?

new2yam

Hi all! I thought I would sign up here in hopes of learning a little more about this bike.

Here's my story in a nutshell. I started out on a cruiser many years ago, had a couple of years with it and then had to sell it when I moved. I took a long break from riding and decided a Ninja 250R was a good re-entry bike. I don't regret it at all. It did what I needed it to... However, I'm ready for an upgrade.

Most of my friends have GSX-R's. I've ridden them, and I like them, but I'm starting to get a little more cautious (I tend to push bikes to their limits). I went to a few stores last week and eagerly eyed the GSX-R's (600s) and Ninja 636s. Just for fun I sat on a FZ6R and couldn't get over just how comfortable it was.

I releaze it would be absolutely no comparison to a GSX-R, etc., but it's not like my friends are going to leave me behind. What I'd really like to know (assuming someone actually has experience with newer gen 250 Ninjas (2012)) - what is it like in comparison? I don't need a rocket ship, but I absolutely want something that's going to put my current bike to shame - speed and acceleration wise. What I've read so far is that the FZ is on the heavy side which takes a lot away from the power.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and input. Thanks!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
6R is a great bike, but since you have ridden the GSXR's and know that power, if that is something you want AND the comfort, I would suggest an FZ1. Or wait for the new FZ-09 or snag up a FZ8 for cheap.

new2yam

6R is a great bike, but since you have ridden the GSXR's and know that power, if that is something you want AND the comfort, I would suggest an FZ1. Or wait for the new FZ-09 or snag up a FZ8 for cheap.
There's a line of FZ's? I didn't know that. Do they all look the same more or less?

UncleHilty

New2, I was in your same boat. About a year and half ago I had a '12 250 which I loved. It was a great learning tool. Then I bought the 6r. I thought I would keep the 250 and ride it sometimes but found the 6r was too much fun, better ride, more comfy, faster and handles almost as good. Its a great bike you will love it. I don't know that I will ever need more, want more - yes, need more probably not.

yillbs

There's a line of FZ's? I didn't know that. Do they all look the same more or less?
\\Yes, there is the fz6, fz6r, fz8, fz1, and soon to be fz9.

Don't let the names fool you though, each of them are very different bikes. the fz6 is a 94 HP beast, the fz8 is pretty much the same ( different motor though ) , and the fz9 is sposed to be around the same price as the fz6r but with less weight, and 115HP.

Now, none of them are full fairing, only the fz6r is full fairing. If that's what you want, then stick to the fz6r.

As for power, I just came from a ninja 650R.. granted they are pretty close to the same bike, the fz6r blows it away when it comes to ride comfort. the fz6r is also an I4, the ninja you have now is a twin, it's louder ( depending on the type of louder you like, it's not a better louder ). Riding on a twin versus an I4 is night and day ( imo ) . I also had a 250R. I just got my 6r about a week ago, and honestly. I havn't had it above 7k rpm's and it's more than enough power for me. I freeway ride, cruise, and all that fun stuff. After about an hour my wrist hurts ( shaking syndrom i guess ), but a good pair of gloves fixed that. the 250R is fun to flick around, and the 6r can get you on the freeway and ready to pass all in 6th gear. If you want to have fun, but feel you may push a bike to it's limits, then get the 6r. you can push the bike to it's limits all day long without the same OMG im going to die feeling the super sports give you. and still have as much fun. I found myself being able to take corners much better than I ever could on a bike, simply because of the way this bike feels. :)

new2yam

FZ8 looks badass :cool:

new2yam

yillbs said:
the fz6 is a 94 HP beast, the fz8 is pretty much the same ( different motor though )
Any chance of expanding on that? :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

new2yam

Scott_Thomas said:
Fz6 is no longer in production. The fz6r took the fz6's spot as well as the r6s' spot in the lineup. Fz8 came out after the fz6r and was a logical step up, but unfaired. Fz6r was aimed at newbs and women. It's not a beginners bike imo, because you can get in trouble with the power and speed. That said, it is still a great first bike if you have a little experience (msf at least). Fz9 I believe is a triple (not inline 4). More and more triples coming out so yamaha joined in. Fz8 and fz9 seem to be competition for each has other so I believe the 8 will phase out. Fz6r is the only full faired version out there for now. Would be nice if they made a fz9r.
Thanks, Scott!

new2yam

Well this bike should def put the 250 to shame although it will lack compared to the gsxr. best bet is to test ride one. if dealers wont let you then test ride a used one!
Any Seattle area forum members? ;)

latony007

power freak?

if your a power freak and want it to go as fast as possible this is not the bike for you. If you want a good all around that is plenty faster than a 250 this is a great bike. I came from a cruiser too and actually still have it to take the wife and kid on rides. I enjoyed it and its more comfortable than a sport bike but most of the riding I do is for an hour or two with my brother or friends going up angeles crest highway or PCH and the sport bike is much better suited to that. The sportbike handles so much better it just makes it more fun to ride. This bike will do about 130 vs. I think about 90 for the 250. I was really looking at a 300 because of the seat height but thankfully didn't go with that and got the fz6r instead. What I wish it had was an easier name than fz6r, when people ask you what it is its much easier to reply "ninja" or "street triple" :)

zcypher

FZ6R the right bike for me?
Yes!

It's awesome! It's not going to rip a hole in the space time continuum when you accelerate from highway speeds or anything, but the acceleration (in my biased and otherwise uninformed opinion) is fantastic. It just has such a nice smooth linear power band that's a blast to go in any gear. Plenty of passing power even from low/medium revs in 6th gear, and just that much more fun if you do decide to shift down and rev it up. Take off in first and wind through first, second and third -- you're already going way too fast and having a great time doing it!

I guess you could go much faster on a super sport, but I find the 6R offers a great level of performance considering the comfort it also offers! I've went on a few 10-12 hour rides already on stock everything, and I've never been more than slightly sore. I was better off comfort wise than everyone else except for a harley with an aftermarket seat hehe.

If raw excessive power is what you're looking for, it's probably not the bike for you. But it sure is a complete blast to ride in pretty much all scenarios..

yillbs

Yes!

It's awesome! It's not going to rip a hole in the space time continuum when you accelerate from highway speeds or anything, but the acceleration (in my biased and otherwise uninformed opinion) is fantastic. It just has such a nice smooth linear power band that's a blast to go in any gear. Plenty of passing power even from low/medium revs in 6th gear, and just that much more fun if you do decide to shift down and rev it up. Take off in first and wind through first, second and third -- you're already going way too fast and having a great time doing it!

I guess you could go much faster on a super sport, but I find the 6R offers a great level of performance considering the comfort it also offers! I've went on a few 10-12 hour rides already on stock everything, and I've never been more than slightly sore. I was better off comfort wise than everyone else except for a harley with an aftermarket seat hehe.

If raw excessive power is what you're looking for, it's probably not the bike for you. But it sure is a complete blast to ride in pretty much all scenarios..
Look at it this way.... its faster than 98% of the cars on the road. Plenty fast enough ya see :)

pkoko

Look at it this way.... its faster than 98% of the cars on the road. Plenty fast enough ya see :)
Other than corvette z06, cadillac v-series, dodge viper, Shelby 500 etc. What other vehicles are really faster?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

yillbs

Other than corvette z06, cadillac v-series, dodge viper, Shelby 500 etc. What other vehicles are really faster?
Year Vehicle Quarter mile Notes
2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport 9.7 sec @ 145 mph (233 km/h) [59]
2009 SSC Ultimate Aero TT 9.9 sec @ 144 mph (232 km/h) [note] [60]
2012 Lamborghini Aventador 10.4 sec @ 136 mph (219 km/h) [61][62]
2013 McLaren MP4-12C 10.5 sec @ 134.56 mph (216.55 km/h) [63]
2009 Corvette ZR-1 10.88 sec @ 133 mph (214 km/h) [64]
2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S 10.9 sec @ 127 mph (204 km/h) [5]
2005 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo 10.9 sec @ 140 mph (230 km/h) [65]
2009 Ascari A10 11.0 sec @ 138 mph (222 km/h) [66]
2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 11.1 sec @ 132 mph (212 km/h) [67]
2014 Nissan GT-R 11.0 sec @ 125.1 mph (201.3 km/h) [7]
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 11.2 sec @ 130 mph (210 km/h) [68]
2005 Ford GT 11.2 sec @ 131.2 mph (211.1 km/h) [69]
2004 Porsche Carrera GT 11.3 sec @ 131 mph (211 km/h) [70]
2004 Lamborghini Murciélago LP640 11.3 sec @ 127 mph (204 km/h) [71]
2007 Noble M400 11.4 sec @ 119 mph (192 km/h) [72]
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia 11.5 sec @ 125 mph (201 km/h) [73]
2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 11.6 sec @ 126 mph (203 km/h) [74]
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 11.6 sec @ 125 mph (201 km/h) [75]
1994 McLaren F1 11.6 sec @ 125 mph (201 km/h) [76]
2009 Rossion Q1 11.6 sec @ 121 mph (195 km/h) [24]
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 11.61 sec @ 120.85 mph (194.49 km/h) [77]
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo 11.7 sec @ 119 mph (192 km/h) [78]
2000 Saleen S7 11.7 sec @ 126 mph (203 km/h) [79]
2012 Lexus LFA 11.8 sec @ 123 mph (198 km/h) [80]
2013 Audi S8 11.8 sec @ 118 mph (190 km/h) [81]

Just to name a few.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

yillbs

Common street cars! I got the gist of what he meant. Maybe in cali those cars are common, but not where I live. LOL! Also I think it's 90+% of cars on the road. Those cars listed probably make up 1% of cars on the road in the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
Well.. production cars. yes. but cars on the road.. not so much. There are plenty of cars that are faster than these bikes. Regardless.. your average joe doesn't have one. There are mustangs, and all sorts of cars that are " supped " up a bit, and can run mid 12 second quarter miles. the 12 second quarter mile used to be considered fast. but they have sedans hitting that. There are more than enough cars hitting 12.5 on the road today, easily 5-10%