fz6r stored too long

fwy5000

ok, guys. I havn't ride my bike for about last two months because of winter. I started it today, it revs very rough and then it died. I tried couple time with same results. I read it online that I should put fuel stabilize in there before store it for the winter. Is it too late to put in there now, I also read to clean carbs. Not really want to go there unless it's my last option since I don't have a garage to work in. It would be tough to do it outside. Please help me out if you ran into these situation before. Thanks.

2012 fz6r only about 800 miles, it got through last winter without any fuel stabilizer

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Superzoom

Almost every season I forget to add stabilizer (finally remembered this year!) and just let the bike sit for about four months. I don't even put the battery on charger. Then come spring, I put the key in the ignition, press the starter and "Zzz--rumble, rumble, rumble...", starts up just fine, like it's only sat a day.

Fuel injection is like magic to me. After owning four bikes with carbs, and going through the trauma of trying to start it up in the spring, our modern fuel injection bikes feel like cheating!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Almost every season I forget to add stabilizer (finally remembered this year!) and just let the bike sit for about four months. I don't even put the battery on charger. Then come spring, I put the key in the ignition, press the starter and "Zzz--rumble, rumble, rumble...", starts up just fine, like it's only sat a day.

Fuel injection is like magic to me. After owning four bikes with carbs, and going through the trauma of trying to start it up in the spring, our modern fuel injection bikes feel like cheating!
Fuel injection is like magic, the kiss of death for carbs is to be sitting whether its 4 months for winter or you only ride it once a month.

Probably a bunch of factors involved in how FZ6R reacts when started after a while, how cold it actually gets in your garage, exactly how charged your battery was when you put it up, what kind of fuel you use i would think would have some bearing on it too, probably even altitude.

I just got a can am spyder and havent sold my cruiser yet and there is no room in the garage for the FZ so its on the patio and i havent ridden it in 3 weeks which is the longest since i got it and its killing me! 4 months would really suck :(

sillysoviet

Battery..
2 main things to remember when you are storing your bike is put stabilizer in the fuel and then also tether the battery.

Every couple weeks i'll turn my bike on let it warm up to 190 and then idle for 5 mins and turn it off.
3months into winter.. only couple more to go :iconbeer:

latony007

I always tender all my bikes and I pretty much ride at least one every weekend, except my yamaha for the last few, too big a pain to get in and out of the patio nothing to do with weather :)

The tender JR. you can usually find for $20

buzzbomb

Elite Member
J

JohnnyWatts

That's odd. I stored my bike all winter. Didn't even bother to disconnect the battery or do an oil change. I literally filled it up with gas and parked it for months.

I think the previous winter was something like November to March? Bike started right up when I took it out of storage. Rode it for weeks as is, and it worked fine. Only issue I could find was the oil was a little thin (watery) and slightly foamy when I did my oil change a couple days ago.

xorbe

That's odd. I stored my bike all winter. Didn't even bother to disconnect the battery or do an oil change. I literally filled it up with gas and parked it for months.
I've read that it's best to store the bike with a full tank, as that leaves less atmosphere and surface area for the fuel to pull water out of the air (for ethanol mixes).

buzzbomb

Elite Member

J

JohnnyWatts

I've read that it's best to store the bike with a full tank, as that leaves less atmosphere and surface area for the fuel to pull water out of the air (for ethanol mixes).
When I stored my sports cars, I did the same thing. Full tank of gas. Except for cars I also put steel wool in the exhaust to prevent critters from crawling up in there.

The idea is so the tank does not rust inside.