FZ6R restricted vs unrestricted power

474kz

Hello all,

Im sort of at cross roads and not sure what the best option is so I thought I'd ask. I've got my Open License and have a 13 FZ6R Lams in Australia. I mainly use the bike for commuting to work and back in city traffic (50kms a day) and sometime take it for a ride on the highway & mountain roads.

Im at the point where I'd like to keep one bike for the next few years and Im considering un-restricting it / leaving it as is or trading it in for something like a VFR (looking at roughly a $3k changeover)

So questions I have:
1. For those of you guys that have un-restricted your bikes, what was the difference for the low and mid? Im assuming acceleration improved (from a complete stop as well as overall)? And of course the top speed would have too (although I generally dont ride > 130km/hr - I want to stay in good books with Brisbane cops)

2. I understand that the resale value drops a bit. How much I am yet to ascertain for a fact - dealerships speculate about 1k? but they've also told me it would cost 2k to restrict but it only costs 300. Anyone out there derestrict theirs (legally) and then sell it?

3. Would it be better to just swap it for a bigger bike? For those of you guys with bigger bikes who do you insure with and what's the ball park annual premium? I've got a clean bill of health and currently pay $503 I think off the top of my head for my 13 FZ6R.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated. Have a great day.

Cheers

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rumpig

Being that its just a throttle stop, low and mid aren't really affected, only top end. You get higher rpm and speed in the higher gears unrestricted.
Doesn't take long to unrestrict and can be done yourself-reversable to.
They're a good daily ride, bit low on power but still enough fun and if you get something bigger it'll probably be thirstier. Unrestrict it then ask yourself the same questions.

Attachments

474kz

Being that its just a throttle stop, low and mid aren't really affected, only top end. You get higher rpm and speed in the higher gears unrestricted.
They're a good daily ride, bit low on power but still enough fun and if you get something bigger it'll probably be thirstier. Unrestrict it then ask yourself the same questions.
Thanks for that - thats good advice. I'm going to attempt cutting the bit on the end off this weekend (or during the Chistmas break) and I'll see how it feels then. Cheers

VRIIClubby

Thanks for that - thats good advice. I'm going to attempt cutting the bit on the end off this weekend (or during the Chistmas break) and I'll see how it feels then. Cheers

DO NOT DO THAT! You dont need to.... just bend it back a little with a screwdriver / long nose pliers ;) Then you can bend it back if required. It doesnt have to be moved much for it to not interfere with the play aswell.

As for the topic, I am at the same crossroads, and was even thinking of changing over to the same bike (VFR) but being a bigger bloke (6.3 @ 115kg) I wasnt sure If I went o the 800 id be kicking myself in 12 months that I didnt go the 1200...
So finally got to sit on them both back to back and decided if that was my only option I would keep the FZ as its way more comfortable for me. The VFR felt pretty much like a super sport to me which I cant live with where I reside.

Now im looking at the new Suzuki GSXS1000F... due out next year, pretty much the FZ but a Suzuki with the K5 1000 motor in it :D But will have to wait and see how they feel.. The Kawasaki Ninja 1000 was a very comfortable bike to sit on compared to the VFR. (spewin cause I love the VFR)

Grizzly

I disagree with this one. The low and midrange are most definitely improved with more fuel/air mixture available whenever you need them.

I bought mine of a guy that had an open license and I don't know how he coped with the bike restricted. Acceleration was completely uninspiring for me.

I think when I checked there was about 10 degrees of opening of the butterflies in the air stacks versus 90 degrees when I unrestricted mine. I made my bracket but if you buy one from the supplier on the net, it's quite easy to install yourself and you can change it back when you want to sell it.

Malicioso

I disagree with this one. The low and midrange are most definitely improved with more fuel/air mixture available whenever you need them.

I bought mine of a guy that had an open license and I don't know how he coped with the bike restricted. Acceleration was completely uninspiring for me.

I think when I checked there was about 10 degrees of opening of the butterflies in the air stacks versus 90 degrees when I unrestricted mine. I made my bracket but if you buy one from the supplier on the net, it's quite easy to install yourself and you can change it back when you want to sell it.
Yep buying the Resart plate was the best thing I've done to this bike, at the start I was like "oh yeah she goes alright" now after installing the plate it's simply "holly sh*t this is fast".

Also buying the plate is the best idea as you can always swap it back, and it only takes about 15-20mins to do, that is from taking the fairings off, changing the plate, adjusting the cables and then putting the fairings back on.