FZ6R Rear shock settings

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

NYGirl

Lighter = lower

I changed my shock to setting #1, I weigh 135-140ish, Dealer gave it to me on setting #3, made a big difference both in height of the seat, and comfort. maybe when the suspension breaks in I'll ratchet it back up a notch, but am happy down low, right now.:)

W

whatever

im about 220 and mine has been set on factory setting 3...... yesterday i adjusted the setting to 4 and the bike did handle little better in the corners

but later that day when i was in the city the bike bounce up and down alot more and felt to stiff took away the nice ride the bike had stock..... so i went back to 3..... might even try 2 some day.

yyz

The more preload you add, the sharper the bike will turn. Raising the rear causes the fork angle to steepen up. The FZ6R is a pretty slow steering bike to begin with, not sure if full preload would cause tankslappers (bars wiggling at speed)

stuna

MNDZA, I have the manual for my FZ6R and I set my pre-load on 2 using it because I'm only 5'4" and weigh 130, I'm kind of a fidget. Makes the bike fly though! I don't remember off the top of my head exactly what the factory recommendations were, but tonight when I get home from work I'll post what they say. I think it has more to do with ride comfort though. On my YZ250 they specify the sag by measuring the distance between a frame bolt and swingarm with no weight on the bike, then while sitting on it, with a recommendation of 3" of sag, which I would assume puts the shock in the middle of it's travel for best results. But we all know what ass-ume means :)

RZ350 Rider
it should be set for 1/3rd of travel . and full travel is 5 in

Bigevildoer

im about 220 and mine has been set on factory setting 3...... yesterday i adjusted the setting to 4 and the bike did handle little better in the corners
I weight about 215 on average, and I've got my preload set to 6. When it was at 3 the bike seemed to wallow around corners and the likes. Sure, it was comfy for he longer runs, but I wasn't happy with the handling that way.
Took about 200 miles to get used to the firmer 6 setting, but it's soooo much better that way!