FZ6R Rear shock settings

MNDZA

I never got the manual for my FZ6R and was wondering if it says anything about how to set the preload on the rear shock and whether it gives any guidelines for weight. The stock setting is 3 out of the possible 7.

fz6rwolf

I haven't looked it up since it feels pretty good as is but if it's like my former vtx you have a tool in the little kit that looks like a spanner wrench you just find the ring, put the wrench in the slots and twist one way or the other. Should be pretty simple.

MNDZA

Are there any guidelines as to which setting to use based on bodyweight?

C

CravenMoorhead

No there are no specific guideline settings that I recall. I reviewed it and adjusted mine to level six out of seven. I had it on seven of seven from the dealer (at my request) and decreased it with the toolbag tool to six. (it was easy) Don't notice any difference. I weigh about 230lbs...

mbridge51

I never got the manual for my FZ6R and was wondering if it says anything about how to set the preload on the rear shock and whether it gives any guidelines for weight. The stock setting is 3 out of the possible 7.
The manual does not give any specifics for the rear shock based on weight/load, but it does for tire air pressure, measured on cold tires. Load 0-198 lbs (front 33 psi & rear 36psi). Load 198-414 lbs (front 36 psi & rear 42 psi).

MNDZA

No there are no specific guideline settings that I recall. I reviewed it and adjusted mine to level six out of seven. I had it on seven of seven from the dealer (at my request) and decreased it with the toolbag tool to six. (it was easy) Don't notice any difference. I weigh about 230lbs...
Is it correct that the more weight, the higher I set the shock setting? I weigh 240...for now.

C

CravenMoorhead

Yes, seven for heavier/more preload/less sag/"hard" per the manual and one for less preload/more sag/"soft" per the manual.

MNDZA

Cool thanks...I talked the the guy from who I bought the bike and he recommended I leave it on 3 since I'm not bottoming out on bumps and to keep it like that until I try out higher speed maneuvers.

C

CravenMoorhead

I suspect someone with more info will chime in here but I think pre-load is just that. It, among other things, supports the static weight of the rear end of the bike. How much does your rear bike sag while sitting on it? I am sure you could search google, if not this site, for volumes written on rear shock pre-load...

At your weight, I'd bet there is some sag at level 3? It is easy to adjust with the included tool, and with your obvious tinkering curiosity why not try level 7 and compare?

RZ350 Rider

Is it correct that the more weight, the higher I set the shock setting? I weigh 240...for now.
MNDZA, I have the manual for my FZ6R and I set my pre-load on 2 using it because I'm only 5'4" and weigh 130, I'm kind of a fidget. Makes the bike fly though! I don't remember off the top of my head exactly what the factory recommendations were, but tonight when I get home from work I'll post what they say. I think it has more to do with ride comfort though. On my YZ250 they specify the sag by measuring the distance between a frame bolt and swingarm with no weight on the bike, then while sitting on it, with a recommendation of 3" of sag, which I would assume puts the shock in the middle of it's travel for best results. But we all know what ass-ume means :)

RZ350 Rider

RZ350 Rider

The manual only talks about 7 being Hard and 1 being Soft and 3 being Standard with no mention about rider weight dictating the position needed. I think ride comfort is what they are talking about. You might want to call a local dealer and see what he recommends, but as long as it feels stable and safe to you while riding I don't think I'd worry too much. Hope this helps.

RZ350 Rider

W

Woe257

For what it's worth, I'm a bigger guy and weight in about 348 to 250. I have mine set at 5 after I did some general testing and this works best for me. 3 was a bit to light of a setting for one of my weight.

I'm not a pro, but this was my experience.

MNDZA

I set mine at 5 also and it seems okay.

RZ350 Rider

In the manual it says 7 is Hard and 1 is Soft and 3 is Standard. I' run about 120 to 130lbs so I moved mine to 2. I wonder if the setting has more to do with ride comfort.

RZ350 Rider

If you still need a manual just go to the website and register and you can dowbload it.

MNDZA

Thanks for the tip. My dealer found my manual though.

Roaddawg

I think the settings are all personal. I'm 215lbs and felt that setting "5" was the best for me. Standard "3" and the lower "2" were just too soft. I moved mine around to different settings and rode around the same roads. Try different settings and find the one that suits you, IMO.

K

kellybt1052

I think the settings are all personal. I'm 215lbs and felt that setting "5" was the best for me. Standard "3" and the lower "2" were just too soft. I moved mine around to different settings and rode around the same roads. Try different settings and find the one that suits you, IMO.
+1 This is the way to do it!! Start at one end of the spectrum(say 1) and run around your favorite road, then switch to the other end (say 7) and run around again. Note the difference and then move toward something in the middle and repeat until you find the best. I just undertook this process after upgrading the rear spring. Took a little time, But hey your riding right...and the difference was striking once I found the right setting for "me"

stuna

set it so you use 1/3rd of the travel when you sit on it . 1.7in drop . 5.1 in rear travel is the spec i got

set it so you use 1/3rd of the travel when you sit on it . 1.7in drop . 5.1 in rear travel is the spec i got
I adjusted my pre-load to 7 because I was going riding 2 up. Left it in 7 and noticed how more difficult to turn when solo?

I'm going to measure the 1.7 in drop and adjust pre-load to suit.

Thanks