FZ6R or Suzuki Gladius?

pyrocpu

JonKerr--the Two Brothers exhaust... that's an $800 full exhaust, right? I can't simply stick a slip-on on the FZ6R, can I?

nc fz6r--Well... You must admit, the Ducati Streetfighter is one helluva good looking bike, and also the Monsters. I see the Gladius as the poor-man's Monster. :) I like both, aesthetically, I really do.

Ugh. What to do. And cold weather's upon us too! :(

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm getting dealer quotes today on the FZ6R sometime this week.

I seem to be getting quite a bit of heat on the SVrider forum for not considering a good, used bike. I understand the devil's advocate approach, but I'm just not wanting a secondhand bike. Is that so bad?

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

Just checking in... I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have seen though, that both Gladius & FZ6Rs can be had for the mid-$5K range. Surely tempting.

Indecision still, at this point! :(

FZ6R-HWD

I can compaire them both

Hi,
I have the FZ6R (yellow) and my close friend has the Gladius. I have ridden his and he has ridden mine for a bit. They really are two different rides. The engine is going to be the big factor. I personally like the inline four. It is smooth, revs nicely and has a sound that I find exciting. His bike is the twin but being a Harley owner, he installed an aftermarket pipe and the sound out of his bike is also something to behold. I like the sound out of the Gladius too but I also own a Harley and wanted a radical departure from a twin.

As for the handling I believe that unless your going to run your bike right up to the limits your not going to feel as if your lacking either way. Both bikes handle pretty well. His bike seems to touch down on the pegs a bit sooner then mine and he weighs less. Conversely, he also seems to be leaning over further as there are zero chicken strips on his bike.

The comfort level on the Yamaha is simply much better. My friend had to spend for a seat and raising the bar. I have not had any issues. This is a personal matter so don't read into the seat and bars too much. The windscreen will help much more. The lower section of the fairing does not seem to offer that much protection. If you ride in a hot climate you should not have any issues with the Yamaha. I would have liked for the Yamaha to have a gear indication like the Gladius but this is not a deal breaker for me. The Yamaha pulls all across the power band so you get used to it.

Having ridden both and as an experanced rider I would take the Yamaha. It seems to be the type of bike you can hang onto for a long time and still be entertained. You should not have to trade up unless you get some wild bug up your butt.

Good luck!

pyrocpu

Thank you for the input!

I had ridden my good friend's SV650 over Xmas and I'll be honest; be it the Suzuki 645cc V-twin or the I-4 of the Yamaha--I like them both. Since my original post, I can go either way on the dynamics of the engines. I like the low-end torque of the V-twin, I also like winding out the I-4 of the FZ6R I was able to test ride back in October. Exhaust notes each have their own merits--this no longer is a pro or a con--I like them both.

I do seem to recall that the FZ6R had the best stock seat, by far. I do also like the fact that I can adjust the bar & seat too.

As far as a windscreen though, I would have to get one should I decide to ride on over to East Tennessee and into the mountains. You're right, that little fairing on the FZ6R helps, but only a bit.

I think I'd like to go with the FZ6R, as I'm leaning towards it now. There are still yet three primary hurdles:
  1. Getting this past The Boss
  2. Finding a yellow one
  3. Finding one for no more than mid $5k range (budget situation's changed since I originally posted)

I hope something can happen while the weather's cold and I can cut a deal!

Hi,
I have the FZ6R (yellow) and my close friend has the Gladius. I have ridden his and he has ridden mine for a bit. They really are two different rides. The engine is going to be the big factor. I personally like the inline four. It is smooth, revs nicely and has a sound that I find exciting. His bike is the twin but being a Harley owner, he installed an aftermarket pipe and the sound out of his bike is also something to behold. I like the sound out of the Gladius too but I also own a Harley and wanted a radical departure from a twin.

As for the handling I believe that unless your going to run your bike right up to the limits your not going to feel as if your lacking either way. Both bikes handle pretty well. His bike seems to touch down on the pegs a bit sooner then mine and he weighs less. Conversely, he also seems to be leaning over further as there are zero chicken strips on his bike.

The comfort level on the Yamaha is simply much better. My friend had to spend for a seat and raising the bar. I have not had any issues. This is a personal matter so don't read into the seat and bars too much. The windscreen will help much more. The lower section of the fairing does not seem to offer that much protection. If you ride in a hot climate you should not have any issues with the Yamaha. I would have liked for the Yamaha to have a gear indication like the Gladius but this is not a deal breaker for me. The Yamaha pulls all across the power band so you get used to it.

Having ridden both and as an experanced rider I would take the Yamaha. It seems to be the type of bike you can hang onto for a long time and still be entertained. You should not have to trade up unless you get some wild bug up your butt.

Good luck!

Detrich

nice pix :)

Go with the FZ6R, especially if you like the inline-4. That was a big selling point for me as I love the smoothness/sound of an inline-4! Its such a beautiful scream. I've got almost 7k miles on mine and not a problem at all. Its a GREAT bike.

And Yellow all the way!!!

WenMark

All I can say is I'm glad every time I ride mine. Every day that goes by and your just wishing for riding is a lost opportunity. Life is short. If you decide to go for it have fun & enjoy the ride;)

Detrich

i'm looking for a used FZ6-R right now too... am really wanting the blue, or yellow i think. but, i haven't been able to find one yet in my budget.

pyrocpu

All I can say is I'm glad every time I ride mine. Every day that goes by and your just wishing for riding is a lost opportunity. Life is short. If you decide to go for it have fun & enjoy the ride;)
You're not the one who has to live with my wife!!! :D

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

pyrocpu

@Silent-T/Mitch--thanks for the offer. I am, however, looking for a yellow FZ6R. For some reason, the other colours don't do it for me. I can't describe it.

@Heiniken--(great beer BTW--I remember the Heiniken factory tour I went through in Amsterdam!)--Not a bad deal, though at that price, I'm going to try and seek a new one.

I did talk to some dealers this weekend... Best deal so far is $6600 OTD. Bike itself is ~$58xx before taxes, fees, setup, doc, license, breathing their oxygen charge, etc, et al. Another dealer wanted $7260 OTD. Waiting to hear back from two more stores before I make a decision. $6600 OTD seems like an OK deal, it's just that I wanted to unload my 4mo. old scooter first! Such as it is, I'll just float it till the spring/summer when that can actually move.

@WenMark--good words of advice--I'm looking to pull the trigger sometime in the next two weeks (though my heart says do it nowNowNOW!), hopefully landing on a good deal.

@Detrich--wish I were still in Los Angeles--there are so many dealers and so many people there selling used bikes on Craigslist, etc., the opportunites are so much greater!

Detrich

hi guys,

i found a used 09 fz6-r in blue with low miles from my local dealer, and i am getting it tomorrow... :) unfortunately, none of the riding gear i bought online arrived yet. so, i think i'll have to ask them to deliver it, since (a) i'll have no way of getting it home- esp if it's raining... and, (b) i have no protection until my gear arrives... :(

i'm excited to own my first bike and join this online community as an owner, finally. my co-workers told me to ask the dealer to install (non-drilled) front and rear sliders to help reduce damage- in case it gets knocked over, or if it tips over on me... seems like a good idea, so i'll look into that- since i'm a new rider as well...

i'll let u guys know how it goes and post some pix over the weekend when i get the chance.... :)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

thanks jon...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

thanks dart! happy to join u guys on here :)

pyrocpu

OK.

Pulled the trigger.

:)

FZ6R, Yellow.

Done.

Now I need to find a place to sleep tonight... :rant:

WOOOHOOOOO! Ordered the seat cowl + a set of sliders to go with it... Man. What an experience. Took all day!