Funny things that happen when you go to look at a used bike....

arse

Got this idea from another forum, figured I would see what you guys had been through.

So last year I was on the hunt for a sub 5k 600 SS. Pooling through all the morons posting their "serviced" and "babied" financial blunders was tough.
I came across a 04 ninja 636 about an hour away and the bike looked clean in pictures. Said it had been dropped once since he owned it, and in doing so he scraped up the brand new two bros pipe he just put on it. In the ad it was at 4500.

Got into contact with the guy and we worked opposite schedules. Told him I could make the hour trip in a day or two.

Get off work around nine pm the day I was set to go look at the bike. Get to my house at around 10 then start the hour trip with two of my roommates so someone could drive the car back if I purchased it. I had really wanted a 636, and although I was looking for an 05+ I figured I could negotiate with the guy - the nada value was around 4k.

We get there, middle of BFE (awesome riding roads, was getting extremely hopeful this was the one just for the ride home) and despite texting and calling no response. So I go up to the house and knock, some lights are on. Stand there for about a minute or two before I see some younger broad poke her head around the corner. She comes and opens the door and I explain I'm here to see the kaw. She was super quiet and submissive, but told me to come inside.
I turn the corner and her bf, the seller, is passed out on a couch. She wakes him up and with another awkward moment were out to the garage.

So, this guy was country. I guess you could say redneck. Very young too, obviously younger than me (I was 25 ). I notice through his thick draw that he's either slow or drunk while opening the garage door. Here's where it gets weird.
The bike is surrounded by tools toys and crap. Totally surrounded. He straddles it by the front, with his crotch on the headlight and starts to upright the bike to attempt to pull it out.
He drops it on himself. It's at this point that I realize he is sloshed.

At this point one of my roommates had gotten out of the car and was walking up the drive right as this happened. Apparently I just jumped grabbed the bike up off of him and said 'come on man you got to be careful with these things!"
At this point I was mad. Dude was drunk and stuttering. I started hinting at this point his bike was worth no where near what he was asking. Noticed multiple drop scratches and neglected simple cleaning. Asked him about service he said he knew nothing. Had owned the bike for less than a month.
At this point I was getting ready to spit out a offer at less then half of what he was asking, but I felt I needed to ride it.
He met me with a little hesitation. I just said I wanted to go half a mile down his street.
He couldn't get the bike out of the driveway because it was a single and full of cars. So drunk as a skunk he fires it up and with no hesitation rides it jarringly off a curb into the street. I'm just shaking my head at this point.

I return from my minute test ride and offer 2k. Unfortunately he didn't accept. Proabably for the better though.

Z3roFlaw

I like the idea of this thread topic. Cool story too. I probably wouldn't have ended up buying either.

I unfortunately don't have any cool stories as my first bike was bought new. I'm eager to hear other people's stories though. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Detrich

Back in 2011 I drove down to Santa Ana with my gf at the time to go check out a used blue 2009 R6 with something like 200+ miles on it. The CL ad said the bike was in 100% perfect condition and ran great. It was supposedly traded in and just not ridden much...

Well, we get there and the thing wouldn't even start up... LOL. Then I noticed it had been tipped over on the left side, rusted out chain, rust on the brake rotors etc.

The only thing that was true was that the odometer really did say seething like 200 miles. It was sadly a bike that had been neglected, lightly dropped, and stored in a damp garage somewhere. It was heart-breaking sight to see such a beautiful machine wasted away like that. They were willing to take $6500 cash, but I decided I wanted something in better shape.

I've since learned a thing or two about how to "interpret" CL ads. LOL

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

06330i

mistaht have you tried using this stuff: Yamalube

I've had a few buddies highly recommend it. You basically take the carbs off and soak them in this and it does all the work for you, no scrubbing required.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

My buying experience for my bike was fantastic. But we bought my fiance's Suzuki GS1100GL last March and when we went to go look at it, everything was in great condition for being an 83. It started right up, they had just had the carbs cleaned as well as a new gaskets all around the board(I looked it up through my work cause we did the work on it), there were no leaks of any sort. Asked the tech who worked on it what he thought about the bike, and he said "yes, it's a solid bike." We were looking at it, the fiance took it on a test ride around the block and liked it a lot. We bought it and went to put gas in it and on the way home, we got caught in a snow storm. Unfortunately my fiance low-sided it in about 2 inches of snow on the ground(we didn't know it was supposed to snow that day, wonderful central oregon weather). The bike still looked like it did when we bought after we picked it up.
We waited a bit for both of us to go on a ride(probably 3 weeks), meanwhile, he changed the oil and checked plugs, etc..... Everything looked great. We went on a ride, and 3/4 through the ride on our way home, going 65mph down the highway, I hear this knocking sound coming from my left. I see my fiance ride up next to me with a grin from ear to ear, but his bike was knocking(like an engine would do if you had no oil in it). Turns out the previous owner had just enough 80w90 in the final drive to where it wouldn't knock when we test rode it. The final drive gears broke and now we are stuck with a $2000 repair order. Not to mention that the shims that were needed were discontinued so it took me FOREVER to find shims for it. Because the previous owner couldn't keep oil in the gears.

So what you could think is an excellent bike that could get you from point A to point B, turns out to be a bigger bill than what you were hoping for. I just wish there was a way we could have checked it before we bought it.

Oh well!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

Yeah, you're telling me. What was a $1200 bike turned out to be $3500. For that, we could have gotten him a newer cruiser. But you live and you learn. I would prefer not to buy from craigslist. But I do know there are some honest people selling on craigslist too.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

bloodypulp

My buying experience for my bike was fantastic. But we bought my fiance's Suzuki GS1100GL last March and when we went to go look at it, everything was in great condition for being an 83. It started right up, they had just had the carbs cleaned as well as a new gaskets all around the board(I looked it up through my work cause we did the work on it), there were no leaks of any sort. Asked the tech who worked on it what he thought about the bike, and he said "yes, it's a solid bike." We were looking at it, the fiance took it on a test ride around the block and liked it a lot. We bought it and went to put gas in it and on the way home, we got caught in a snow storm. Unfortunately my fiance low-sided it in about 2 inches of snow on the ground(we didn't know it was supposed to snow that day, wonderful central oregon weather). The bike still looked like it did when we bought after we picked it up.
We waited a bit for both of us to go on a ride(probably 3 weeks), meanwhile, he changed the oil and checked plugs, etc..... Everything looked great. We went on a ride, and 3/4 through the ride on our way home, going 65mph down the highway, I hear this knocking sound coming from my left. I see my fiance ride up next to me with a grin from ear to ear, but his bike was knocking(like an engine would do if you had no oil in it). Turns out the previous owner had just enough 80w90 in the final drive to where it wouldn't knock when we test rode it. The final drive gears broke and now we are stuck with a $2000 repair order. Not to mention that the shims that were needed were discontinued so it took me FOREVER to find shims for it. Because the previous owner couldn't keep oil in the gears.

So what you could think is an excellent bike that could get you from point A to point B, turns out to be a bigger bill than what you were hoping for. I just wish there was a way we could have checked it before we bought it.

Oh well!
They have too many punk a$$ people around pulling this kind of s..t. It will come back to them in the long run. Sorry for ur troubles.

Detrich

I've bought & sold 2 bikes off CL, and i was lucky and met some terrific ppl.

But, there are a lotta scum bags out there too.

Must be very careful. :)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

jlog65

I bought my 6R from a guy that posted it on here but also had it listed on CL. I drove 2.5 hours hours to meet the guy at a Bass Pro shop. It was a year old with less than 2k miles on it so it had barely been rode. Bike was perfectly as advertised, in great shape with a couple scuffs on the right side. I work out a price with the guy which was actually a really good deal (around $4K) when I tell him that I need to get the title notorized for transfer into KY he got a little nervous. Turns out while he did have legal right to the title, the title was not in his name. He bought the bike from his "buddy" who knocked up his g/f and needed to buy a house. We drove another 1.5 hours to meet up with his "buddy" to get the title notorized. When we get there I ask him what I should tell the "buddy" I was paying, in case it came up. He replies "I dont want him to think I screwed him so just say $2500". WOW he really screwed over his "buddy" that needed the money to buy a house for his new baby.

I wouldn't feel right screwing anyone over like that. Much less a "buddy" who needed the money to support a g/f who was 5 months pregnant.

Oh and I locked the keys in my truck at the BassPro. had to use a golfclub to "unlock" it.

buzzbomb

Elite Member